Hypex DSP module(s)

I *thought* it looked cheap compared to what I remembered. Excellent timing for a price drop, it's looking really tempting now!

A question about the USB-input when used for audio, is the 16-bit limit the only downside? Because I don't really need more than 16-bits for listening (I use higher bitrates and samplerates when recording/mixing, but that's another matter) and I would love to keep my chain of audio equipment as short as possible.

From a news bulletin on 6moons:

"The Grimm Audio team is very pleased to announce that its development team led by Bruno Putzeys has upgraded playback functionality with DSD/DXD capabilities. All LS1i USB interfaces shipping now play DSD 64fs, DSD 128fs and DXD. For existing LS1 installations we are providing a simple software upgrade easily done by the customer. The LS1 USB interface now also runs on Win 8 and Linux." The LS1 is a 3-way fully active speaker with Hypex Ncore electronics and DSP-powered response optimization.

Interesting development.
Should DLCP owners expect a similar upgrade?

Can anyone comment of the usability of the software, and screenshots?

Coming from the MiniDSP platform I'm wondering if its as easy to use?

I've used the PSC2.400d and as far as I know it's the same UI. If so then my answer is no, the MiniDSP is much more easy to use. The DLCP software has more functionality but it's not as easy to tinker and toggle things back and forth as the MiniDSP software. One thing for example is that at least on the PSC2.400d the amp itself doesn't save the last setting but I have to reload it every time from my computer where as the MiniDSP stores it internally. I hope they have fixed that for the DLCP though as I'm considering getting one after the price reduction. When they release the PSU I might pull the trigger on it =)

I've used the PSC2.400d and as far as I know it's the same UI. If so then my answer is no, the MiniDSP is much more easy to use. The DLCP software has more functionality but it's not as easy to tinker and toggle things back and forth as the MiniDSP software. One thing for example is that at least on the PSC2.400d the amp itself doesn't save the last setting but I have to reload it every time from my computer where as the MiniDSP stores it internally. I hope they have fixed that for the DLCP though as I'm considering getting one after the price reduction. When they release the PSU I might pull the trigger on it =)

Our software was designed for general active loudspeaker DSP platforms, and therefore not designed the way you would like, I'm sorry. We did however add a filename function to it, to satisfy customers, this is stored into the microcontroller. So you're able to see what filter is inside. (E.g. 3WayLoudspeakerV026) This filter will be stored on your PC.

Best Regards,

Jan-Willem
Hypex Electronics B.V.

Our software was designed for general active loudspeaker DSP platforms, and therefore not designed the way you would like, I'm sorry. We did however add a filename function to it, to satisfy customers, this is stored into the microcontroller. So you're able to see what filter is inside. (E.g. 3WayLoudspeakerV026) This filter will be stored on your PC.

Best Regards,

Jan-Willem
Hypex Electronics B.V.

Makes sense though, if you know what you want and only expect to set the filters once then that way is good enough. The MiniDSP way is so good for prototyping back and forth though, another easy thing I've missed in your ui more than the memory is an easy way to toggle biquads. Or if there is I haven't found it yet.. so when down the line updating the UI becomes a priority you have another thing to add to your TODO list =)

It's looking more and more likely that I will get a DLCP after all... when you release the PSU =) Sure I could tinker something myself but it wouldn't be as compact and optimized for the purpose as you can make it. Any estimate of when it will be unveiled?

DCLP + DCLP Input Board + Control panel + x4 Hypex nCore in one shielded chassis, pretty unbeatable for an active pre-amp, xo, room correction & power amp?

Pretty unbeatable, but my preference is still to keep DLCP and nCores independent - amp technology is not going to improve radically over the next 5-10 years, but if Moore's Law continues, processing power will.

DCLP + DCLP Input Board + Control panel + x4 Hypex nCore in one shielded chassis, pretty unbeatable for an active pre-amp, xo, room correction & power amp?
I wish I could afford that (or rather, justify the cost compared to other toys I "need" :) ). I'm going to make something similar with UcD400HG w HxR instead of NCore.. Only 2xUcD to begin with and use my existing poweramp I think, not sure yet.

Pretty unbeatable, but my preference is still to keep DLCP and nCores independent - amp technology is not going to improve radically over the next 5-10 years, but if Moore's Law continues, processing power will.
It's not like you can't easily switch the DSP out in your own build though, single box or not. Unless you make it really tight in there perhaps.

Se my answer further above. That's based on a reply from Hypex.
Unfortunately the same is true for the DLCP add-on kit. And two months is just an estimate and nothing set in stone either.