• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

HV Shunt Regulator PCB

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,

I believe the circuit is pretty much as stock in the manual in the first page.
However, SB had a little adjustment to the power supply pins to use opa656 instead of the obsolete opa655. I wonder that's the reason why opa655 didn't work.

I noted that the 655 has a max supply voltage of 11V, which may be an issue (not having seen the circuit, but knowing that it works with 36V supply amps like 741). It may also oscillate, but 'it doesn't work' doesn't really help us further.

jd

Hi Jan

When fitted with 741, the voltage at pin 2 and 3 is 7.0V and o/p at pin 6 is 3.40V, all rock steady
When switched to OPA655, the voltage at pin 2 and pin 3 drop to about 5V to 6V and o/p to 2.6V .All the 3 voltages are drifting and seen on the digital meter.
Hope these info help you to narrow down the problem
Thanks

Goh

When fitted with OPA655, the following are the voltages:

Pin 2 6.9V
Pin 3 6.5V
Pin 6 2.1V

Supply voltage 10.5V

Original Schematic

Goh

Attachments

• HPHVreg_Sch.jpg
    HPHVreg_Sch.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 717
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When fitted with OPA655, the following are the voltages:

Pin 2 6.9V
Pin 3 6.5V
Pin 6 2.1V

Supply voltage 10.5V

Original Schematic

Goh

Looks OK. -in is higher than +in so the output will drive down. 2.1V at Vo is about as low as it will go, but apparently it is not low enough to close the shunt. I assume that the HV output is too low?
Are you sure there is no other change and that it works when you just plug in a 741? Did you also change the shunt fet type?

Edit: what's the Vo with a 741?

jd

Looks OK. -in is higher than +in so the output will drive down. 2.1V at Vo is about as low as it will go, but apparently it is not low enough to close the shunt. I assume that the HV output is too low?
Are you sure there is no other change and that it works when you just plug in a 741? Did you also change the shunt fet type?

Edit: what's the Vo with a 741]

Yes, no changes, plug in 741 or 351 and it works. The o/p at pin 6 is 3.4V , pin 2 and pin 3 are 7.0V with 741.
I think the o/p needs to be 3.4V to turn on the shunt Mosfet
According to the manual, the check for opamp is OK , ie pin 2 and pin 3 7.0V
pin 6 about 1.0 V befor the HV is turn on

See if you can hear your circuit on the radio, as a test for oscillation. Place the radio near by and turn your circuit on and off, you might hear it.
Yes, there is transient noise when HV is turn on

Goh

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Edit: what's the Vo with a 741]

Yes, no changes, plug in 741 or 351 and it works. The o/p at pin 6 is 3.4V , pin 2 and pin 3 are 7.0V with 741.
I think the o/p needs to be 3.4V to turn on the shunt Mosfet
According to the manual, the check for opamp is OK , ie pin 2 and pin 3 7.0V
pin 6 about 1.0 V befor the HV is turn on

See if you can hear your circuit on the radio, as a test for oscillation. Place the radio near by and turn your circuit on and off, you might hear it.
Yes, there is transient noise when HV is turn on

Goh

There is something fishy. If the HV output is too low, then the voltage at +vin is also too low, below the 7V ref at -vin. Therefore, Vo should go down to turn down the shunt so that the HV rises again, until +vin=-vin. Yet, Vo is already lower than with the 741, so there's something wrong here. I only can think about oscillation, and you never know what your DC multimeter indicates with a (hf) oscillation signal. That 2.1V Vo is probably much higher, higher than with the 741, but with an oscillation ac imposed. What does tan ac meter show on pin 6? (Probably not much, the freq is probably too high).

Try a brute force to kill the oscillations, increas the feedback cap across the opamp to 10nF or something (C13).

jd

The same type/amplitude noise with both the 741 and opa655?

The transient noise is from nearby FM radio. 741 don't seem to have the transient noise
I understand from other posting(not this thread) that many high bandwidth opamp struggle with output. Does this meant that the output is not enough to turn on the Mosfet?

Just get pin 2 and pin 3 at 7V, with output pin 6 at 3.4V and the Mosfet will turn on.How to do it?

There is something fishy. If the HV output is too low, then the voltage at +vin is also too low, below the 7V ref at -vin. Therefore, Vo should go down to turn down the shunt so that the HV rises again, until +vin=-vin. Yet, Vo is already lower than with the 741, so there's something wrong here. I only can think about oscillation, and you never know what your DC multimeter indicates with a (hf) oscillation signal. That 2.1V Vo is probably much higher, higher than with the 741, but with an oscillation ac imposed. What does tan ac meter show on pin 6? (Probably not much, the freq is probably too high).

Try a brute force to kill the oscillations, increas the feedback cap across the opamp to 10nF or something (C13).

jd

So if there is oscillations, the mosfet will not turn on?
Before, HV is supplied, the voltages are as those in the Schematic
HV rise slowly if the regulator is working
Now it shoot up to the raw voltage almost immediately
Sorry, just tell me how to check oscillation correctly with a scope

Goh

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Hook the scope signal probe to the output and the ground probe to the ground. Set the scope to AC, vertical amplifier to about 5V/div, horizontal amplifier to about 1mS/div, and then turn on your circuit. You can play with the vertical/horizontal settings after you started the circuit. If you don't see a straight line (such as when you set the scope to GND) you got oscillation. Hope this helps.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So if there is oscillations, the mosfet will not turn on?
Before, HV is supplied, the voltages are as those in the Schematic
HV rise slowly if the regulator is working
Now it shoot up to the raw voltage almost immediately
Sorry, just tell me how to check oscillation correctly with a scope

Goh

I made an error in my previous post. The Vo must be lower than with the 741 to keep the shunt off.
But with oscillations, the DC value measured with a multimeter has no validity. So if you have a scope, check it as described by ikoflexer.

jd

I made an error in my previous post. The Vo must be lower than with the 741 to keep the shunt off.
But with oscillations, the DC value measured with a multimeter has no validity. So if you have a scope, check it as described by ikoflexer.

jd

Jan

You are right. It is oscillating like mad. I put a AM radio close by and the tone of the oscillation is loud and clear.

Following Ikoflexer setting on the scope, a shot of the screen is attached

What do I do now to make the regulator work properly

Thanks for the troubleshooting

Goh

Attachments

• P1010676.JPG
    P1010676.JPG
    638 KB · Views: 798
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan

You are right. It is oscillating like mad. I put a AM radio close by and the tone of the oscillation is loud and clear.

Following Ikoflexer setting on the scope, a shot of the screen is attached

What do I do now to make the regulator work properly

Thanks for the troubleshooting

Goh

You got it!

Try to increase C3 (I think; its the one from output to -in) until the oscillations stop. Depending on the value, it may be acceptable. Or try a more docile opamp, one that doesn't have such a very wide bandwidth (but not a 741 :) ). Did you try a 5534?

jd

Last edited:
You got it!

Try to increase C3 (I think; its the one from output to -in) until the oscillations stop. Depending on the value, it may be acceptable. Or try a more docile opamp, one that doesn't have such a very wide bandwidth (but not a 741 :) ). Did you try a 5534?

jd

Hi Jan

I will try 5534 some day when I can get it. I tried AD817AN and it is not oscillating.
Because you came to my reply and help, there is much interest and a GB is on

Goh