• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

HV Shunt Regulator 2009 GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SHIPPING and FINAL PAYMENT

Hi. Your kit is ready for shipping. You have to make a final payment that includes the shipping cost and FET purchase. Check you email.

Let me know once you make the payment. Then I'll ship the kit.
I hope to be able to ship all the remaining kits this week.

Thanks...

SB

FET Notes:
As posted on the thread, FET final price was 1.42U$ each
I tested all the FETS (350 of them!) and matched them as well.
You got matched sets to match the quantity of FET you ordered.
I was not able to match more than 10-15 FET of the same IGDS.
I tried to send matched FET as far I was able.

It was done for free, but this way I'm sure you all got good parts.
The side of the transistor is marked with the FET current main two digit in Ima, then the top indicates the decimal
ex: 15.25 ma, side shows 15, top 25. It is marked in black but can be seen with good light.
Have fun.

I am not able to get these geegaws to work. The voltage available at the non-inverting pin of the op-amp is too low. I measure 0.015V. It really should be something like 7V. It's not the voltage divider network, R18, R19, R3, R17, that is the problem. C2 and D3 are pulling the voltage down, apparently. Way down.

Hi, Did you get your boards to work? I have been lazy and have not finished mine yet.
Daniel

Hi, Did you get your boards to work? I have been lazy and have not finished mine yet.
Daniel

Not yet. :no: I've abandoned them for the time being, reinstating the Allen Wright-designed SuperRegs in my preamp.

Unfortunately, I blew some components and the fuses in my preamp PSU, twice, so I'm reluctant to carry on. Hint: Do NOT disconnect D3 to "see what happens". :rolleyes:

Thanks Jaap. That is sure, that to use the original specs V type makes building the Reg PCB much easier.

I already shipped half the kits. Waiting for the payment for the rest of you guys.

Still no reply from Grahamb, flyboi, Relder, hearinspace, Evsentry3, habsrock93

I sent you an email a few days ago, I'll resend it now.

EDIT - oops, the email got stuck in draft mode, will send post haste.

Last edited:
Just wanted to report that I built 2 of these booards so far. They are working very well. I have 2 other empty boards now that I will populate and come back to you with the results.

My next move will be to install one of them in place of the series regulator in my Curcio tube preamplifier. I will keep you inform on how it changes the sound.

My next move will be to install one of them in place of the series regulator in my Curcio tube preamplifier. I will keep you inform on how it changes the sound.

Will you be replacing each series opamp regulator with one of these shunt reg boards or put one shunt reg in place of the main series reg on the Daniel? I have thought about doing this with my Daniel I preamp.
Daniel

Last edited:
Hi Daniel,
I will have to think about this and make some tests I beleive.
Fisrt, I would use one shunt regulator set at VCC voltage and keep the 15V floating supply, OP amps and associated circuits.
I think this would be enough.
I have tried Teddyregs on the 15V supply and a HV version of it, using HV FETs after the main regulator.
This upgrade improved the sound by a large margin. But I experienced some noise at startup that lasted a few seconds, while charging the capacitors.
It does not hurt anything but is anoying. I removed then the HV cap multiplier keeping only the 15V Teddyreg, but I changed all the capacitors in the HV and 15V supplies with high quatlity caps. This gave me just as good sound as I had with the previous set up. I am still using this arrangement.
Two other friends just changed the caps and no Teddyregs. Can't realy hear a significative difference, it is just as good. That is what I recommend.
My intention behind the use of the shunt is to reduce noise level even more.
I don't want to highjack Sylvain's thread, so it would be better to continue with PM.

Ready to ship the latest batch of PCB and a few FET. Check you email Thanks...

Attachments

• Img_4900.jpg
    Img_4900.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 179
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.