How to run TINA-TI on your Mac - for free!

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm pretty stoked. I have found a way of running Windows applications, including TINA-TI, on my MacBook Pro with the Apple M2 silicon. That seems to be a pretty common desire, so I thought I'd put a guide together on how to make that work.

I have used vmWare Fusion in the past and really liked it, so that was my first go-to. Unfortunately on the M2, Fusion installs the ARM version of Windows 11. That seems to run really well, but for some bizarre reason TINA-TI won't run on Windows 11 ARM. So I decided to give Wine a go instead. That worked! The image below shows TINA-TI running on Mac.
Tina-TI on Mac M2.jpg

Here's the process:
  1. Download Wineskin Winery from Github: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer?tab=readme-ov-file
  2. Double-click the downloaded file to extract it and double-click the extracted app to start the Winery.
  3. Install a Wineskin engine. I went with the WS11WineCX64Bit23.7.1_D3DMetal-v1.1 engine.
  4. Create an empty .app wrapper. This takes about a minute.
  5. Download or locate the Windows software you would like to install.
  6. Double-click the empty .app wrapper to launch the installation process. Click Install Software and then Choose Setup Executable.
  7. Point the file browser to the installer file for the Windows program that you wish to install. Click Choose.
  8. Then install the program as you would under Windows. You'll have to grant permission to access the Desktop, Documents, and Downloads folders. That's normal.
  9. <tada.wav> You now have a Mac app that contains your Windows program. You'll find the root directory of your Mac mounted as Z:\. If you need to access network or USB drives, mount them on the Mac as normal and browse to Z:\Volumes within the Windows app.
Enjoy.

If you need a bit more step-by-step guidance, including screen shots along the way, please find my writeup here: Running Windows Programs on Mac – Neurochrome.

Tom

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx Tom. Parallels has the same problem. And not enuff tech support. Took them 2 months to tell me they hadn’t solved how to read the USB port yet.

If WINE works Crossover Mac should, it is an enhanced prepacked version of WINE for those that just want to go… they have a trial so you can test if your ap will run.

To run Intel SW i expect they have to invoke Rosetta in a clever way.

dave

Reactions: 1 users