How to obtain Punchy Bass ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
What is BSC ?

What I mean is... I like when music makes me want to move my ...

sounds like BSC is what you need

So finally, no real solution I guess ? No reasonnably sized speaker will be able to give me what I am looking for.

oh yes !
I have never heard it, but I bet this might come close ........ 3-Way Classic

and to see some better looking versions, scroll down and look at builders projects

100Hz doesn't sound like punch. It's the 40-80Hz octave you need, although the <50Hz part isn't the key for most tracks. You may be able to work it out with your current sub if you get it in the right location, and set the filter more like 70-80Hz. You want your sub to add to the punch without adding to the boom, technically speaking ;).

Last edited:
When a bass note hits hard to make you feel the impact, it'd be a wide band signal -- a transient response covering low to high frequencies, and all of them are excited simultaneously.

(If there's only bass, then you'd hear a soft and woolly sound, not 'punchy' at all.)

So, reasonably flat response with wide enough band and coherence are all important - to give you a fast rise of all frequencies at the same time.

Therefore, I have a feeling that a good single driver fullrange (small) system usually gives better punch than mulitway speakers in equivalent size, when playing within moderate SPL.

Playing loud, single driver speaker runs out of headroom earlier, then multiway takes the lead. You have to be careful in the xover and overall integration to get that coherence back.

Completely agree with this. It's why I recommend a sub to be placed in a location time aligned with the mains, and also to use 1st order crossovers, which will give very good tranisent response in the midbass. A 120hz 1st order crossover with the sub next to or between the mains will give extremely articulate and transient correct 80-200 hz midbass. Low bass will also sound more natural because the harmonics will clearly integrate with the fundimental.

Try moving your sub so it is the same distance as from the mains to you. Also try increasing the crossover point.

There's also the brute force approach, see below:

Speakerplans.com
https://www.google.com/search?q=HD1...896374b892cf2f&bpcl=40096503&biw=1344&bih=733

However, a kickbin of this nature is also intended to be used in a large sound system with active crossovers and time correction to line it up with the subs and tops.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Punch is 90-100hz or so.. When I mixed sound for a period in my tweenties we turned up eq at around 90hz, maybe 80 sometimes to give punch in the chest..

To each is own by I agree with some others: Chesty punch has grown tiring after years of different speakers and amps that gave me this characteristic.. This is one of many reasons I ditched Nautilus 801.. None of this is good for your hearing either..

I like a window into the recording space and think records are designed to be heard in this way.. System/room should be Bass impact is clear, defined and in balanced with the rest.. As mentioned here what counts is fast rise and fall and this is Key and applies to the sound of low wattage amps with big power supplies as well..

Joel

It's why I recommend a sub to be placed in a location time aligned with the mains, and also to use 1st order crossovers, which will give very good tranisent response in the midbass. A 120hz 1st order crossover with the sub next to or between the mains will give extremely articulate and transient correct 80-200 hz midbass. Low bass will also sound more natural because the harmonics will clearly integrate with the fundimental.
This seems like a double edged sword. On some recording (instrumental) I like the slightly higher sub/woofer integration with the mid bass. It adds a little weight to piano for instance. However with vocals, some artist that live in this range sound too full, if you know what I mean. Here I like the sub/woofer crossed lower (116hz) to the mid bass. Their voicing (singer) is pretty much on one driver then and a bit easier to control impact.

Last edited:
i was trying to achive that punchy bass for years.i tried closed box speakers and subwoofers,i tried infinite baffle subs and much more

after all these experiments i found that woofers with paper cones strong motors and fabric surrounds at 10-12inch produce that kind of bass.

maybe and more than 12inch but i never tried.you can find lots of woofers like that at pro audio.

i was trying to achive that punchy bass for years.i tried closed box speakers and subwoofers,i tried infinite baffle subs and much more

after all these experiments i found that woofers with paper cones strong motors and fabric surrounds at 10-12inch produce that kind of bass.

maybe and more than 12inch but i never tried.you can find lots of woofers like that at pro audio.

One reason 10 or 12 inch pro woofer sound 'punchy' is because they don't go very low. The more really low bass there is the less it is being perceived as 'punchy'.
My bass-limited 12" Tannoys certainly SOUNDED punchier before the got the company of woofers filling in the missing octave below 50-60Hz.

Low bass doesn't really sound punchy. It kinda shakes your guts while punchy bass kicks you in the chest.
At least that's how I feel it.;-)

Last edited:
My bass-limited 12" Tannoys certainly SOUNDED punchier before the got the company of woofers filling in the missing octave below 50-60Hz.

I've had the opposite experience--adding the subwoofer doesn't reduce the punch, it gives the punch more gravity. If the subwoofer reduces punch it might need phase adjustment, to avoid cancelling some output from the midbass in the overlap region.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.