How to make a good transformer for ribbon tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, the original question in post152 still applies.

I don't know what You're seeking.

When I simulate the actual circuit in Basta, I get results that pretty much correlate with my impedance measurements.....

Attachments

• PhaseCapture.JPG
    PhaseCapture.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 492
But the various diagrams don't specify when a filter is fitted or not fitted.

So back to post151.
which of those two pics has the filter in place?
Is the filter before or after the transformer?

If you read post#151, you can see in the text that the two measurements are taken of complete speaker, with bass driver and then also of course the cross over (filter) included in both post#151 graphs...

Again, I just wanted to show the different impedance characteristics of the two drive methods..

Placing the filter after the transformer would have been a novelty way in ribbon transformer design, or at least (to me) nearly unheard of.

Is it even possible, considering core saturation and such?

Super Nice!

Gh,
could you describe the construction of the transformers?

Quite straight forward, by determine the actual conducting plane that you are going to run to both ends of the alu ribbon. Which in my case I use copper foil stickers.

Once you determine your length of the conducting plane(Copper), run a alu ribbon which is the actual size, thickness and corrugation ratio you going to use. The Alu ribbon will act as your real load when you determine the number of coils in your primary coil. Without any magnets, use Woofer Tester 3 to run a quick sweep on the transformer to measure the impedance.

The reason for this is to include the DCR of the copper foil sticker(Conducting plane), to give you the real total load(Conducting plane + Alu Ribbon). Due the low DCR of the alu ribbon, any slight changes on the conducting plane will mess up your impedance seen on the primary coil.

For secondary, I use 5 pieces of magnet wires running 5 rounds on the bobbin which I feel its more than enough bandwidth.

A WT3 will be very useful.
Dayton Audio WT3 Woofer Tester

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can the copper conducting plane, which runs all the way round the side to the inner bottom of the yoke.

Last edited:
Its the same transformer I used for my 2 inch ribbon, EI core

My old 2 inch ribbon transformer

almost one turn of .3 mm insulated copper sheet directly laid on the oriented iron core. And 20-30-40 turns of prim...

But nowadays I drive my one meter ribbon without transformer, instead I use a 100 uf very high quality film cap and a 3 ohm metal film resistor in series with ribbon.

Does it sound better without transformer? Well, the music is more HD, but I'm not sure
about musicality... It's like some older films on TV, it's more pleasant to watch with less pixel density.....

By the way, ghemml, I dont know if you're using oriented iron, but if you dont, try to get some! Big difference in the highest treble...

Last edited:
@JonasKarud

I believe there is less coloration on the output on your tweeter if there is no transformer. Its more workable on large ribbon like yours, mine will just cause overloading on my amp in which I burn and destroyed my LM3886 while performing some test.

Though I'm a Chinese but I'm not from China, so its been quite difficult for me to find parts from places like Taobao.com because my ability to read Chinese is ultra poor... LOL. I only managed to find ferrite cores when I was having a tour in China's Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

For my transformer I bought from Korea, its a 49% Nickel Permalloy, and there are 3 sizes to them. You can drop me a PM if you are interested. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.