How to build the F5

Hi 47 nF class x1
In the left of the picture close as possible to the bridge

They stop same of the switching noise the bridge make tinitus is quite right they still work...

I am not in any way telling you what to do but maybe you should find out more about them

Any tought about the thermistors I belive they run at about 150 C

I by pass the one I got after a few seconds.

On the right soldered directly on the relay output tags.

Hi Zen
Tanks for pointer I may be wrong then with the 47 nf :D

1000VA 20 / 24 AC ?

;)Be realy realy wonderfuly out of caracter if you could tell as what they do
or we will have to wait till tomorow morning for some one else to do.;)

+ what being wrong by overscaling may do?:smash:

:violin:Now I know I will not sleep at all for tonight.:violin:

For the ones that may not know Zen he is telling us a few things.

A) he is watching

B) he cares

C) he think that those caps are if not important at least worth to get a table ready made with the best values for the Job.

D) that he is so good that he is got this ready for as in a couple of minutes.

E to FF cubed a number of things that even me once seen the error of my ways and started to love the man fail to grasp.

So tanks Zen realy apreciated.

Al

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
that table is strictly for caps across secondaries , not caps across each diode in bridge .

I'm too lazy to write anything else than - caps are there for some snubing of peaks going in all directions :rofl:

edit : table is saved from some clever thread here on DiyA .
it is not mine ;

I'm too dumb

:clown:

Tanks any way
I wish I was so dumb that I could remember where I seen the info
I also wish I was so dumb that I could find the info once I know where I put it
And most of all so dumb that once I got the 2 above I could make any sense of it and use it propperly instead of my usual sledge hammer aproach.

So I supose will have to wait till the morow so some one whos has read all the books and newer built aniting will corect (big red Biro again).

So question is.

As I spent a fortune in ways to kill off a considerable number of my brain cells I would apreciate to know why same times capacitors are placed right across the diode bridge?

What is the capacitance should be and how is calculated?
what does it do?

I know that they should be Snuber capacitors that came in safety class Y 1 and 2 or X1 and 2 (or at least the fortune spent I mentioned before Is making me believe so)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
those are issues which you can grasp in two ways -

1. solder what you have in drawer and enjoy

2. go read some dusty and less dusty papers and enjoy

any snubber is there to snub :rofl: some nasty peaks
diodes are producing peaks while shutting off and on , generally

xformer isn't happy , audio circ isn't happy , especially taking in account behavior of wakoo inductances , hidden inside big electrolytic cans ;

so - cure is - place small and fast capacitances on some strategic places ..... imagine diode as tiny switch ; you are used to see caps across switches , placed to suppress sparks ; same thing

caps across secondary are there , as last frontier to prevent nasty harsh going back to xformer ( back - looking from rectifier side )

calculus is hard - it depends of many things - load , load variations , voltage , type pf xformer ( think inductance ) , type of bridges ....... and most important - ability of writer/calculus operating individual to take all things in account , understanding them in same time

your's truly isn't one of these ...... so - take that table as Bible ...... and think about Super Bowl , or some other proper manly thing ....

royal wedding , maybe ?

:clown:

Last edited:
Usually solved by rotating or replacing the
transformer.

So don't worry about it.

:cool:

Rotating?? how much rotation does it take to move an interfering magnetic wave away from 'circuit' its interfering with?? Is there a predetermined are of where the magnetic field is present? or is it just a spacing thats present, not exactly pin-pointable by looking at the transformer?

CL-6 temperatures?

Hi 47 nF class x1
Any tought about the thermistors I belive they run at about 150 C

All, do the CL-6 in-rush limiters run as hot as 150 C, in the F5? I've seen a lot of pics (including the First Watt F5) where the CL-6's are directly mounted to PCBs...... (seems they would be running a lot cooler than 150 C, to PCB mount them).

I'm needing some newbie advice, on this one..... Thanks.....