How to build the F5

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
bksabath said:
The drain pin of the mosfet is conected to the metal tag and has very litle thermal impedance thath is to me the best place where to stick them adesive or tie wrap the key is low thermal impedence

that's where the heat of the junction can be monitored fastest.

Aha!! That's why the thermistor is placed there on the factory-built F5! I have been scratching my head, wondering why the thermistor looks like it's too short... :)

Specifically, these are the photos that I am referencing -- (from 6moons.com)
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt7/f5_2.html

Scroll down a little, you will see 2 pics with the output transistor and thermistor clearly visible.

Last edited:
I was thinking epoxy to tranny body but middle pin makes more sense. I have switching p/s that have a thermistor on the heatsink glued to a small metal eyelet then screwed to the heatsink next to the trannies it looks at .
I would think either would be OK but faster response to the middle pin.

OIC,Elwood

The Credit Card issuer has an enormous effect on the retailer's sales.
As soon as you have the Credit Card on your side, the retailer gives in.
Reporting through PayPal is the first warning that the retailer gets that you mean business and expected to be treated as a valued customer.

:DQuote > By opening up a case with paypal, and applying a little bit of pressure, HIFI 2000 is sending out a new heat sink.

Realy made up for you:D

Got a few more pictures of my build.

A drill press would realy help but does not fit in the loft and to much noise.

The main frame is done so time to get started with the Circuit boards

Soft start and Aux suply From print to etched board in less than 30 minutes.

No picture for the back plate I got al the holes drilled and started to paint (mess it up I mean )
I realy realy hate painting