How to build large round front horns?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We have to be reasonable in our aproach to good sound.
This horn Azurahorn -Le Cleac'h Acoustic Horn Loudspeakers , is out my league, where would I put it?
Once I saw an article in the Audiophile about a japanese guy who was living in a two Altec 515 driven bass horn. The drivers were lockated in the attic and the living room was the mouth of the horn.

Hello Miklos,

Sound coloration in horns are mainly due to multiple reflection of waves when there is a rapid change of flare.

The mouth of truncated horns like the conical horn on a picture shown in a recent message is typically a source of large reflected energy.

The Le Cléac'h horn doesn't possess andy rapid change in flare and the area expansion law is the same all along the travel path of the waves. It can be considered as a quasi-infinite horn and doesn't have any "horn sound". It's impulse reponse is also excellent.

Best regards rom Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Actually, everything else is not a waste of time.

This forum is about DIY. The act of doing or building is what it is about. At least here.

Also, there is something to be said for the path and process of sequential improvement, and the learning + intimate involvement with the sound and the materials used.

For different people that means different approaches.
For professionals, highly trained in the field it is unlikely that the above thinking will usually apply. That is a different game, different quest.

Ymmv.

_-_-bear

Hello Bear,

I noticed the use of his/her in your message,

Did it was only a politically expression or do you really wanted to mean that women could read this DiyAudio/Loudspeakers/Mutiway forum?

This is a bit OT but ther was a thread on that topic in a French speaking forum (you'll have to translate it...)

www.elfbi.com :: Voir le sujet - Peu de femmes en haute-fidélité?

Alos I remember that there was in the very first issue of the french magazine la Revue du Son, dated april 1953, a paper intitled:

"trainings in acoustics, why acoustics doesn't interest women.":)

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

yes, JM, some women can read it.

the question is really, do any want to? :D
I am near an engineering university here, and there are many female engineers these days - EE included. They could read and understand all this i am sure.

We should talk about this in another thread, maybe in the Lounge??
If you wish.
Just link if you decide to start such and uproar!

Btw, i had to study French in school for 6 years. As a result i can sort of read it and get the idea. Forget about writing it or hearing it properly. No good.

_-_-bear

Apropos, the Germans used a horn like that in the FWW to talk over enemy lines and destroy the fighting moral of the other side. The horn was ca. 6-7m long and was usefull up to 20km.

Hello Miklos,

Sound coloration in horns are mainly due to multiple reflection of waves when there is a rapid change of flare.

The mouth of truncated horns like the conical horn on a picture shown in a recent message is typically a source of large reflected energy.

The Le Cléac'h horn doesn't possess andy rapid change in flare and the area expansion law is the same all along the travel path of the waves. It can be considered as a quasi-infinite horn and doesn't have any "horn sound". It's impulse reponse is also excellent.

Best regards rom Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

You're right, it is not waste of time, but maybe waste of money.:)

Actually, everything else is not a waste of time.

This forum is about DIY. The act of doing or building is what it is about. At least here.

Also, there is something to be said for the path and process of sequential improvement, and the learning + intimate involvement with the sound and the materials used.

For different people that means different approaches.
For professionals, highly trained in the field it is unlikely that the above thinking will usually apply. That is a different game, different quest.

Ymmv.

_-_-bear

Ymmv.

_-_-bear

Yep, it is for some professionals, other take another path. I believe in reasonable and practical in everything that I do, that's just my "world view" I guess. I leave the extremes to the extremists.

How about less ruminating and more building?

That lens looks like perforated Al? The dimensions are given... Listed crossover frequency of 500Hz.

Although it's very different from this (same part number listed);

375-537-500-1a_small.jpg

Both are acoustic lens where the idea was to shape the wavefront via a refractive index. In the "slant plate" style the path length is increased by forcing the wavefront along an angle. In the perforated plates, the path length is increased just by virtue of the fact that a straight path does not exist. It worked somewhat, but added a whole new set of problems - both suffer from resonances of the structure as well as the internal acoustics.

When I first started experimenting with foams it was with this exact same concept in mind. (My MS thesis was on acoustic lenses), but the foam did not have a sufficient index of refractive to do much at all. Its absorption turned out to be a real benefit however.

Reactions: 1 user
Big thanks to Jean for the Le'Cleac'h horn calculator.

Still a little stumped as to how to plot the planar petal horn cutouts. The XLS spreadsheet produced a tiny image.

Jean suggested a DAO software to plot this, anyone have experience with this? I'm using a Mac but have parallels installed so can use windows software on top.

I could draw it out, but I would rather have the option to play around a bit more, try different sizes and perhaps use CNC as the final route, and being able to print it on A4 paper would be a bones.

Any experts using DAO software or know of an easy way to plot lots (several hundred) of points onto a curve?

Studio Au,
This is some rather complex math for a FUN project. Is there anyway you can find an appropriate horn style on the web and copy it to your computer to some usable scale and create something from this. Many of the high end commercial horns should have fairly good designs to choose from.
Stereophile magazine usually takes really good detailed pictures of the stuff they review.
Nice project some of the contributions so far are truly amazing for DIY.

Tad

hi tryonziess, i'm sorry i don't quite follow, i have all the data, the calculator does all the math, with the parameters you put in, simply throat size, (1"), and the Hz, (800Hz) it also has an option to stat the number of petals, 4=square, trying 14 as visually is appears more round (like the one in Jean-Michell's post on the last page). Thats it, it generates hundreds of numbers from the throat.

So i could just measure it out, using every fifth point or so, however if i can use some software and simply press 'print' life would be easier.

Studio Au,
I was just thinking you could copy a photograph of a commercial horn with spec's close to the ones you need and do a take off from the photograph. If you scaled the photo the paper could be a rough pattern of sorts.
Not being one who has adequate computer or math skills this would be the approach I would have to take.
From what I have read the horn has a logarithmic expansion from small to big.
Stacking different circumference layers of wood you could achieve something that looks fabulous as well as functional. As I write this I am looking at some of my wife's lampshades and they have almost the exact proper dimensions and are light and cheap and diverse in design. Could make a good pattern.

Good Luck with this Tad

Hi Tad,
I have been eyeing every curved object i walk by, be it table bases, lampshades, tagine lids, traffic cones, all manor of things. I have thought about asking potters to spin me one, metal spinners to do the same.

The throat as i believe it is the most crucial part. With the first 2-3inches being vert critical.

In another project i have posted on here, i am casting a Dayton 8" waveguide as a cheap means of reproducing the flare shape, and an easy way to make the whole baffle in one piece, router free.

Hello Studio Au,

In the spreadsheet, one of the last page the name of which is "subsampling of points" gives you under
"planar cut of petals" (new calculation)
a smaller number of points for the contour.

The coordinates of the points of the contour of the petal (half petal) are given by

"distance to throat"
and
" half width"

You may copy those values to any software you can find to scale draw the contour.

If you don't have access to such software, eventually you can also play with the shape of the graph called "planar cuts for petals". You click inside a blank zone inside the graph then you'll see 8 points forming the contour of the graph, then you can drag one of the corner points in order to have on printing the same horizontal and vertical scales. Then you'll have to xerox them with a zoom in order to obtain a unit scale.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

hi tryonziess, i'm sorry i don't quite follow, i have all the data, the calculator does all the math, with the parameters you put in, simply throat size, (1"), and the Hz, (800Hz) it also has an option to stat the number of petals, 4=square, trying 14 as visually is appears more round (like the one in Jean-Michell's post on the last page). Thats it, it generates hundreds of numbers from the throat.

So i could just measure it out, using every fifth point or so, however if i can use some software and simply press 'print' life would be easier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.