How old are you?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks SY,

i was carving something, but no definite notion what it was exactly.

See, never to old to learn something, i'm already thinking a travel arrangement with an historical twist to that island.
Even better, with a blessing from that Ksawery Knotz monk guy in Poland, might even flog some of those books of his in a package deal.
Quick, where's the telephone number of that Asian wood shop.

Looks like the early years 12-14 is the ripe age when interests started. I had other hobbies too at those age which still sticks to today.

I have a boy (6) and girl (9) and bought them every week those $6 jaycar project kits. We have almost the entire collection now. Hope they like to tinker with hifi or anything, after their teenage girl/boy chasing stage perhaps! :cool:

My earliest memories are when I was 2-3 years old, staring at my father's woofers move in his EV III's (8" with 12" passive radiator and a large-ish soft dome), wondering how the hell they did that and made all that sound come out. At the same time, I was often sitting on the floor in front of them, flipping through all of his old Stereo Review magazines, staring at all the pictures while dad cranked up the Pink Floyd and sat back on the couch, puffing on a marijuana cigarette. This is when my obsessions began. I was also always intrigued with peak meters at that time (typical with equipment of that era). All throughout childhood, I was always sneaking the screw driver into my room from the garage to take apart any toy with a speaker in it, and I'd eventually end up finding something to hook it up to. My dad passed away in a mysterious and unexplainable head-on collision when he was 42 during the summer of 2004. I'm now 25 years old. And I'm still just as obsessed with loudspeakers as I ever was.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I got into DIY very early. At 3 years old I destroyed my dad's DIY tube hi-fi system with a 15" electromagnet full range speaker.

When I was 8 or 9 I used to convert transistor radios into something like bugging devices using my father's tv repairman workshop.

When I was 14 I made DIY stink bombs out of selenium rectifiers for extending my junior high school lunch breaks.

I went on the road with rocks bands when I was a mid-teen, and the rest is a blur until the day after my 2nd wedding, much later.

Now I just feel the way the Stones look, and build amps 'cause the good ones cost too much in the store.

I'm older than Chris Chelios.

..Todd

20 year old student here. Only been really interested for the past couple of years as I grew up in Papua New Guinea where needless to say, there's not much of a HiFi following.

I'm currently studying at university and probably spend more time reading articles about audio, browsing these forums or tinkering with the two amps and two sets of speakers I've built in the past 12 months than reading the medical journals I should be. ;)

What is it that makes all of you love creating and building the things you do?

For me it has to be that at the end, you have something that you can truly appreciate and hopefully something that others can enjoy as well.

This one is 25.

I think the lack of a lot of "young-uns" in this field can be due to the following factors:

-Lack of funds to invest in serious high end audio, DIY or not. This can be true for anyone though.

-Lack of education. I went through 3 years of electronics education and still find a lot of topics that are over my head.

-Them young whipper snappers just don't care. At age 16 teens are getting their first car, and unfortunately will get into "DIY" audio by slapping some bass blasting beast in the trunk to impress their friends. This is where I started, but after my car was broken into 3 times I though there had to be a better way for me to enjoy my music, so I started to research home audio and here we are.

I'm 15 (as you can see from the tag-line)

I agree with others - I had some Pioneers and Sonys (older than me) hooked up to a £50 amp from school. I was always messing around with different speaker positioning, iso-braric woofers etc.

That was when i was 12.

3 years on, I'm making my own speakers. Some of you may have seen my subwoofer (Two 8"s in a box) Which was a simple sealed box thingy, with Linkwitz.

I also remember listening to my dad's old KEFs, with homemade amp (that went to 800W, once).

But, like DcibeL said, lack of funds means it's difficult to come by anything really worth having.

Hello all audio friends :cool:

When you start diy audio at 12 or 15, you have a big advantage.
Things do not get easier to catch and learn when you get old.

I was already 35-40 when I got this interest of electronics.
Today I am 58.
(had my birthday now recently at 22nd May.
My first birthday without a postcard from my dear ma.
Not easy to send a card to your loved one
when you are burried in a wood coffin and dead, cold and disabled!)

Which means I have been doing audio & electonics circuits only for 20 years something.
Sure put me way behind dear chaps and valuable members like John Curl, 68.

Now you know about me, Lineup
A bit, at least.

/lineup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.