How LOW should we go... For Music and for Movies ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can see now my rotary dream has some downsides. Thanks for some critical information there. But I don't comprehend how I'm going to fit 50x 18's in any way or shape either. How big does the hole in the wall need to be??? Do you have a drawing or diagram of this manifold?

All my signal processing including level adjustment is digital. The digital feeds a DC coupled DAC which feeds my DC coupled amplifier. I have no problem creating 1 Hz...more recently I had problem with DC frying my electrostat transformers.

The manifold I mentioned is a cube 18x18x18 inches. One 18 inch driver mounted on each of 5 sides. The 6th side is open and mounted to a wall. The wall has an 18x18 inch hole to let the sound channel into an adjacent room on the other side of the wall. So this 18x18x18 inch cube will house five 18s.

If you want fifty 18s you need 10 of these 18x18x18 inch cubes and you need ten 18x18 inch holes in the wall.

The manifold cube can be mounted on either side of the wall, so the fifty woofers can all be in the adjacent room, not in your listening room so they take up zero space in the listening room.

Not many people have dc coupled equipment, is that even safe? If you amp actually passes any dc your drivers are all going to fry.

just a guy, that maybe over-the-top accuracy for us, but not for scientists.

Audio reproduction reference ? Oh man! We're so far from your bathroom scale accuracy, you can't imagine! Basically, you'd be happy to weigh anywhere between a three-legged mouse and a pregnant elephant ;-)

Our actual technology just don't allow any audio reproduction that is realistic. Period.

A real trumpet cannot be audiocopied. A real drum even less. The sound of the real thunder at 100ft. even less. Niagara waterfalls, even less.

I dare you: blind test it. With as much people it's needed. You'll struggle just to find naturally emitted SOUNDS so simplistic it can be audiocopied and reproduced so its 100% impossible for the blinded person to identify which is which 20 times out of 20 (or 17 times of of 20 if we're being statistically coherent).

A real concert with 50 musicians and the crowd?
Ha. HAHAHA.

Danley has some nice recording of fireworks and a passing train on his website for download with no compression (not sure if it's still there or not).

My dog has excellent hearing but he barks when he hears a doorbell on tv. Sometimes I get fooled when a phone rings on tv. So recordings can be extremely lifelike.

None of this has anything to do with anything though, you are completely changing the topic. We were talking about absolute spl reference. If you buy 10 spl meters, even the cheap ones will do, and measure a tone at 1 khz, I'm sure they would all measure within 1 db of each other. If cheap spl meters can be that accurate, how accurate do you think the really expensive reference mics are? How accurate do you think your personal measurement mic needs to be?

And why is measurement mic accuracy even important in this thread? I just mentioned I had a professionally calibrated mic, which is true. Why you mad?

Psycho acoustics and FM curves and ISO two thousand whatever have nothing to do with this. SPL is SPL and it has nothing to do with how we perceive it as humans. Perception is a whole other (completely unrelated) topic.

Are you saying that all mics in the world are useless because there's no universal standard?

I'm pretty sure the sciencey guy have a pretty good handle what what reference spl is. I don't know how and I don't care to look it up but I trust calibrated mics to be WAY more accurate than I'll ever need.

No i'm saying that innacuracy is a problem. Unreliable reference made a universally accepted standard doesnt make it true.

A WEIGHT or a VOLUME reference doenst lead to such problem. It's a convention. You pay 10$ for 750ml wine, everybody is happy, right? Unless you like 343ml beer ;-)

On the other hand, a misleading so-called mic reference is a problem, because that reference is non-existing in the absolute and it's unstable in time and people are using calibrated and non-calibrated or badly calibrated or falsy calibrated mics, all mixed, everywhere, to make music, to make amateur stuff, to make pro stuff, etc.. It it NOT as reliable as a Kg or a ml. Not as easy to control, not as easy to test, not as easy to confirm... And that's even for a false (primo) reference (!)

and the mic... the mic is not the biggest problem there. Innacuracy becomes a MAJOR problem only when it adds up. To other innacuracy, of course. Such as the F&M curve, ISO226 stuff.. Then, like if its not enough, comes the game of ''how am i pleasing?'', where Hi-Fi is thrown away and rather adjusted to everyone tastes... Dynamic compression, to make it more earable... and so on. :crackup:

There is a word in french: BANCAL.

It's all fragile, like a cards castle. Yeah, we got an average but sure as hell don't have anything close to an absolute reference. Other than NATURE, of course!

Show me any sound system that can mimic a lion's roar, a real trumpet, a V8 engine... Nothing will come close.

The measurement tools are perfectibles, the measurements methods are perfectibles and most importantly the end product of all that is far from perfect or even accurate. Oh, its somewhat accurate in a very limited way... but in 100 or 1000 years from now, we'll probably laugh about this jurassic part of the audio reproduction history.

Phone rings and doorbells are easy to reproduce, you are right.

You know why they're easy? Because they are simple, man-made, tones-generating stuff.

As soon as you stumble into music instruments (also man made) you hit a wall, most of the time. Piano (complex), Trumpet and drum (dynamics), violins (subtelties)...

With a lot of work, from the sound take ,up to the reproduction in a very controlled-room, you might be able to mimic almost perfectly some instruments, but not all of them in every situation.

If you add voices, other instruments, mixing with other sounds! Oh man, forget it.

Why do you insist on an absolute reference? Go out and buy 100 different spl meters and measure a 1 khz tone. They will likely ALL come in at +/- 1 db. How accurate do you really need to get?

I'm pretty sure the scientists know how to calibrate spl. Spl is based on phons, I believe, which are measurable quantities. Why would they even make up names for this stuff if they couldn't measure it?

Sound reproduction is an entirely different topic which you insist on returning to over and over. Reproduction accuracy will depend a lot on sound source size, directivity and spl. Spl is especially important for the transients. That's where most speakers fail miserably when attempting to produce a drum or lightning strike. BUT if you have a speaker that can do directivity well and do 150+ db transients, I'm pretty sure even you could be fooled.

I don't know what parts of the forum you hang out in but I don't see you here much. We do horns here. Sometimes really big horns. Drivers and power are cheap these days. 150+ db at 30 hz and higher really isn't that difficult anymore.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
the lower,the better

I was an engineer of electrical equipment and built my house and audio room after retiring. My favorite is classic music. I want to make my room like a concert hall though I know it's impossible physically.
The most important thing for classic is bass. The most difficult source for audio is also bass.

A 45cm woofer is not enough for classic as long as I did trial and error. An electrical EQ is also not good.They are lifeless.The only solution for classic is mulch woofers without an enclosure(open baffle).If you make a room rather than an enclosure, mulch open baffles are the best, as long as I have examined.
They operate as architectural EQ below 100Hz since they have the same phase.They have almost nothing to do with mid or high freq.This EQ is very natural which you can't achieve by another way.

What I have learned from my self-build for classical music audio is the importance of bass.The lower the better. You can't hear below 30Hz through your ears.Below 30Hz is the sense of touch where you don't listen but feel through your body.I think the bass is as low as possible if you want to feel music lively.:) 

Attachments

• freq1.jpg
    freq1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4813.JPG
    IMG_4813.JPG
    283.9 KB · Views: 195
It does make me wonder whether these films with massive sub 20Hz content were actually mastered on a system flat to ~5Hz. I doubt there are many commercial theaters that can reproduce bass that low.

Could it be that the very low stuff has been boosted during mastering on a system that 'only' goes to ~20Hz ?

I like organ music, so for me the holy grail is 16 Hz (32' pipe, low C pedal note). My room isn't huge, so I can get there at a sufficiently entertaining SPL with a couple of high Xmax sealed 12s (EQ'd of course).

I watch movies on this system too, but I also live in an apartment, so I can't get too crazy... But I am going to look for of that movie you guys are talking about (The Edge of Tomorrow is it?), as the unit above mine is currently unoccupied. :nod:

I think the old "pick 2 out of 3" list as it applies to bass is: loud, low, & small (enclosures). I've picked the latter 2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by just a guy

Re Post #40

You know what is also 4 - 4.5 beats per second? A single digit frequency sine wave.

Hi my friend. Actually, BPM isn't the same as Hz ! For eg, a kick drum of say 80Hz on a 4/4 120BPM track = 2 beats per second. But, the beats just reproduce 80Hz every 2 seconds ;)

Apart from that, as usual you provide good info, backed up with nice data etc :)

I was an engineer of electrical equipment and built my house and audio room after retiring. My favorite is classic music. I want to make my room like a concert hall though I know it's impossible physically.
The most important thing for classic is bass. The most difficult source for audio is also bass.

A 45cm woofer is not enough for classic as long as I did trial and error. An electrical EQ is also not good.They are lifeless.The only solution for classic is mulch woofers without an enclosure(open baffle).If you make a room rather than an enclosure, mulch open baffles are the best, as long as I have examined.
They operate as architectural EQ below 100Hz since they have the same phase.They have almost nothing to do with mid or high freq.This EQ is very natural which you can't achieve by another way.

What I have learned from my self-build for classical music audio is the importance of bass.The lower the better. You can't hear below 30Hz through your ears.Below 30Hz is the sense of touch where you don't listen but feel through your body.I think the bass is as low as possible if you want to feel music lively.:) 

What's a "mulch woofer"?

a misleading so-called mic reference is a problem, because that reference is non-existing in the absolute and it's unstable in time and people are using calibrated and non-calibrated or badly calibrated or falsy calibrated mics, all mixed, everywhere, to make music, to make amateur stuff, to make pro stuff, etc.. It it NOT as reliable as a Kg or a ml. Not as easy to control, not as easy to test, not as easy to confirm... And that's even for a false (primo) reference (!)

Yeah, we got an average but sure as hell don't have anything close to an absolute reference.
Wrong!

There IS a absolute reference: 20 uPa (micro pascals) sound pressure = 0 sone = 0 dB (at 1 kHz)

There IS a standard called IEC 61094-5 for calibrating microphones with accuracy better than 0.14 dB, for frequencies from 0.1 Hz up to 251 Hz.

There IS a standard called IEC 61094-2 for calibrating microphones with accuracy better than 0.05 dB, for frequencies from 20 Hz up to 20 kHz.

JonBocani, I don't know why you are not accepting perfectly good, correct and detailed answers by just a guy and other members here? Even your first post/question is not the correct one, as BesPav pointed out:
No, jentlements, the question must be asked not "how low should we go", but more correctly - how low AND loud should we go.
JonBocani, please don't argue if you don't know the audio basics. If you want to learn something about microphones, ask good gentlemen from Bruel&Kjaer (or just google it).

Last edited:
The manifold I mentioned is a cube 18x18x18 inches. One 18 inch driver mounted on each of 5 sides. The 6th side is open and mounted to a wall. The wall has an 18x18 inch hole to let the sound channel into an adjacent room on the other side of the wall. So this 18x18x18 inch cube will house five 18s.

If you want fifty 18s you need 10 of these 18x18x18 inch cubes and you need ten 18x18 inch holes in the wall.

The manifold cube can be mounted on either side of the wall, so the fifty woofers can all be in the adjacent room, not in your listening room so they take up zero space in the listening room.

Not many people have dc coupled equipment, is that even safe? If you amp actually passes any dc your drivers are all going to fry.

50 18's seems like overkill. I'm experimenting with just a single 2245's in IB configuration and am pretty sure 8 would be enough to float my boat. Even the single sounds fantastic at medium listening levels and I've never bottomed it.

Direct coupling is Very common nowadays

Electronic equipment with DC response seems very common to me. I have a collection of about 10 amplifiers covering the past 50 years, and more than half are DC coupled. It used to be a very big marketing thing in the 1970's and 80's, and ever since. I'm surprised it seems uncommon to you, and yet you know about a lot about even more esoteric stuff in the woofer arena.

A fairly early amp which a friend has used for 50 years is the Sony 3200F from 1968. It has a "test" switch on the front panel. If you select "test" mode, it is DC coupled. Historically lots of people used it that way, but it is NOT a servo type DC amplifier, and the "test" designation does give you the idea this should not be the standard mode, but a switch on the front panel invites experimentation anyway.

James Bongiorno designed many of the G.A.S. and Sumo amplifiers as direct coupled with servo. In 1977 he introduced the Thaedra preamp which he claimed was the first DC coupled preamp with servo. (And, even a servo MC phono amp!) Nowadays, in higher end transistor equipment, one has to look harder to find the non-DC coupled equipment. I have an Aragon preamp from 1995 which has servo also, the same company made cheaper non-DC amplifiers and preamps under the Acurus label.

Pretty much all the Parasound amplifiers are DC coupled for the reason that John Curl doesn't like the sound of capacitors. They all have DC servos to "eliminate" DC from the output, so they don't actually have response to DC. However typically servos run at very low frequencies, such as 0.03 Hz, so response below 1Hz is typical.

Spectral, however, took the oppose track in the 70's and 80's and made only capacitor coupled products because the designers felt that servos were less transparent than the best capacitors (an idea I find ludicrous, but YMMV).

It is safer to have servo DC amplifier than non-servo DC amplifier. My Krell FPB 300 has a DC servo, and also a 6800 class microcontroller that monitors DC at the output and shuts down if it exceeds a certain point for a certain amount of time. Response is down to way below 1Hz and it pretty much looked like DC response on my scope.

A problem I had recently was when a DAC blew it's servo. That is the only time that has ever happened to me, in 50 years. And I'm not actually sure my speaker damage resulted from the DC, it might have been from high amplitude high frequencies. Mistakes and failures can never be completely avoided.

50 18's seems like overkill. I'm experimenting with just a single 2245's in IB configuration and am pretty sure 8 would be enough to float my boat. Even the single sounds fantastic at medium listening levels and I've never bottomed it.

Most people would think 50 18s is overkill. I'm just suggesting that's what you could have as an alternative to the rotary woofer. I'm not suggesting that anyone needs to go out and buy 50 18s. But if you can I don't see why not. I sure would like to.

Hi my friend. Actually, BPM isn't the same as Hz ! For eg, a kick drum of say 80Hz on a 4/4 120BPM track = 2 beats per second. But, the beats just reproduce 80Hz every 2 seconds ;)

Apart from that, as usual you provide good info, backed up with nice data etc :)

About this - a 4 hz sine wave is definitely not the same thing as beating a drum 4 times per second, but in this context it's not that different. It's the pulses that are important in this context, not the sound the pulses make.

This leads to the question - can church organs create the same type of crazy brain activity that rythmic drumming and chanting can? I say absolutely yes.

Even if you study infrasound on it's own, the answer is pretty obvious. I'll post a portion of the wiki text here, highlights added by me and I've deleted some portions not extremely relevant. This is just one source but sources about the effects of infrasound are all over the internet and generally agree with this one. And once you get into low single digit frequencies it's even more exaggerated because the pulses cause brainwave entrainment, making your brain waves slow down into alpha and beta wave territory which leads to surreal and dreamlike states of conscientiousness.

Human reactions[edit]
20 Hz is considered the normal low-frequency limit of human hearing. When pure sine waves are reproduced under ideal conditions and at very high volume, a human listener will be able to identify tones as low as 12 Hz.[33] Below 10 Hz it is possible to perceive the single cycles of the sound, along with a sensation of pressure at the eardrums.

One study has suggested that infrasound may cause feelings of awe or fear in humans. It has also been suggested that since it is not consciously perceived, it may make people feel vaguely that odd or supernatural events are taking place.[34]

A scientist working at Sydney University's Auditory Neuroscience Laboratory reports growing evidence that infrasound may affect some people's nervous system by stimulating the vestibular system, and this has shown in animal models an effect similar to sea sickness.[36]

In 2006 research about the impact of sound emissions from wind turbines on nearby population, perceived infrasound has been associated to effects such as annoyance or fatigue, depending on its intensity, with little evidence supporting physiological effects of infrasound below the human perception threshold.[37] Later studies, however, have linked inaudible infrasound to effects such as fullness, pressure or tinnitus, and acknowledged the possibility that it could disturb sleep.[38] Other studies have also suggested associations between noise levels in turbines and self-reported sleep disturbances in the nearby population, while adding that the contribution of infrasound to this effect is still not fully understood.[39][40]

In a study at Ibaraki University in Japan, researchers said EEG tests showed that the infrasound produced by wind turbines was “considered to be an annoyance to the technicians who work close to a modern large-scale wind turbine.”[41][42][43]

Infrasonic 17 Hz tone experiment[edit]
On 31 May 2003 a group of UK researchers held a mass experiment, where they exposed some 700 people to music laced with soft 17 Hz sine waves played at a level described as "near the edge of hearing", produced by an extra-long-stroke subwoofer mounted two-thirds of the way from the end of a seven-meter-long plastic sewer pipe. The experimental concert (entitled Infrasonic) took place in the Purcell Room over the course of two performances, each consisting of four musical pieces. Two of the pieces in each concert had 17 Hz tones played underneath.[44][45]

In the second concert, the pieces that were to carry a 17 Hz undertone were swapped so that test results would not focus on any specific musical piece. The participants were not told which pieces included the low-level 17 Hz near-infrasonic tone. The presence of the tone resulted in a significant number (22%) of respondents reporting feeling uneasy or sorrowful, getting chills down the spine or nervous feelings of revulsion or fear.[44][45]

In presenting the evidence to the British Association for the Advancement of Science, Professor Richard Wiseman said "These results suggest that low frequency sound can cause people to have unusual experiences even though they cannot consciously detect infrasound. Some scientists have suggested that this level of sound may be present at some allegedly haunted sites and so cause people to have odd sensations that they attribute to a ghost—our findings support these ideas."[34]

Suggested relationship to ghost sightings[edit]
Psychologist Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire suggests that the odd sensations that people attribute to ghosts may be caused by infrasonic vibrations. Vic Tandy, experimental officer and part-time lecturer in the school of international studies and law at Coventry University, along with Dr. Tony Lawrence of the University's psychology department, wrote in 1998 a paper called "Ghosts in the Machine" for the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research. Their research suggested that an infrasonic signal of 19 Hz might be responsible for some ghost sightings. Tandy was working late one night alone in a supposedly haunted laboratory at Warwick, when he felt very anxious and could detect a grey blob out of the corner of his eye. When Tandy turned to face the grey blob, there was nothing.

The following day, Tandy was working on his fencing foil, with the handle held in a vice. Although there was nothing touching it, the blade started to vibrate wildly. Further investigation led Tandy to discover that the extractor fan in the lab was emitting a frequency of 18.98 Hz, very close to the resonant frequency of the eye given as 18 Hz by NASA.[46] This, Tandy conjectured, was why he had seen a ghostly figure—it was, he believed, an optical illusion caused by his eyeballs resonating. The room was exactly half a wavelength in length, and the desk was in the centre, thus causing a standing wave which caused the vibration of the foil.[47]

Tandy investigated this phenomenon further and wrote a paper entitled The Ghost in the Machine.[48] He carried out a number of investigations at various sites believed to be haunted, including the basement of the Tourist Information Bureau next to Coventry Cathedral[49][50] and Edinburgh Castle.[51][52]

Last edited:
large audio test facility

...Show me any sound system that can mimic a lion's roar, a real trumpet, a V8 engine... Nothing will come close.

Hi there J: A long time ago, I visited an Air Force test chamber, sized to fit a whole fighter aircraft, the sound generators were mechanical driven by compressed air and produced super high SPL levels. No one was permitted inside the chamber during tests. As I recall NASA has similar test facilities for space systems to simulate launch conditions. Actually, I agree with you about lions, trumpet(s) and large block V8s, especially burning nitro. ...regard, Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.