How LOW should we go... For Music and for Movies ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know for a fact that i have a lot of music that has content below 20hz (that i probably miss...), mostly experimental electronic music, IDM, Glitch techno, etc... Artists such COH, Pan sonic, Roly Porter, Alva Noto, Andy Stott, Mica Levi, Pete Namlook, Frank Bretschneider... just to name a few.

But do i really miss something ? Even if the content is there, i'll feel it like ''oh my god, all those years without that content!'' OR ''oh. yeah, cool. Not bad, yeah i notice it a little...'' kind of thing?

7 hz at 140 db would be life changing. Remember, there's a reason why church organs can hit 16 and sometimes even 8 hz at high spl. It's literally a religious experience. Do some research on why churches have organs, you might be surprised. They put you in a certain state of mind same as rythmic drumming and chanting did for ancient civilizations (and still today in some places).

Why are you still saying "first octave"? On other forums people would laugh at a system that only goes down to 20 hz.

Yeah i know, sorry bad habit! :eek: :p
we'll use the more precise HERTZ in this thread from now on.

I'm just not used to users on this forum (and other hifi or audiophile forums) that are even interested in the slightest to anything below 20hz... I guess that's pure HT forums stuff.

I have a background of SPL (car audio) and HiFi where most life barely starts at 30hz if not higher

7 hz at 140 db would be life changing. Remember, there's a reason why church organs can hit 16 and sometimes even 8 hz at high spl. It's literally a religious experience. Do some research on why churches have organs, you might be surprised. They put you in a certain state of mind same as rythmic drumming and chanting did for ancient civilizations (and still today in some places).

No, please no. 7hz @ 140db would be life changing in a way where your liver is taking the place of your left lung.

I remember a guy who was doing SPL competition at the wrong frequency (poor SPL results)... somewhere in the 32-35hz region, 148db. Was really :yikes:

Much more than any 155-160db i ''heard'' in higher frequencies.

But, hey, what do i know? Maybe 7hz is completely harmless at high SPL. I just don't want to guinea pig it :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So Jon, basically you just want to speculate and ask questions? You don't really want to look at the data to see for yourself. It's really not that difficult and would be very useful for you, and others to see the LF content is recent movies.

I can help, if you want to do the work. Otherwise it's just conjecture.

No, please no. 7hz @ 140db would be life changing in a way where your liver is taking the place of your left lung.

I remember a guy who was doing SPL competition at the wrong frequency (poor SPL results)... somewhere in the 32-35hz region, 148db. Was really :yikes:

Much more than any 155-160db i ''heard'' in higher frequencies.

But, hey, what do i know? Maybe 7hz is completely harmless at high SPL. I just don't want to guinea pig it :D

At single digit frequencies 140 db is pretty benign. Your hearing is very insensitive down there. Astronauts are assaulted with about 180 db at low frequencies at takeoff IIRC and they all come out just fine. This is not something that is loud, it is something that is felt. 32 hz is a MUCH different story.

You seem to be extremely out of touch with modern systems, equipment and user goals.

Oh come on, man! You're saying that like if 18's kits were sold at Wal-Mart! :confused:

Most people, most audiophiles, are impressed by a bass output anywhere north of 90db, and that at 35hz or up...

You're talking Mclaren 720S (or downright F1 stuff) while people are excited by a sporty steering wheel on their Toyota...

I sure get you, and i'm very interested in your comments, but I AM out of touch with user goals? REALLY?

So i missed few episodes, we're now looking for 6hz ?
Not two weeks ago Pano was looking at me with crossed eyebrows because i was talking 105db @ what? 30hz? And now i'm the old granny? Oh, well. :fight: ;)

At single digit frequencies 140 db is pretty benign. Your hearing is very insensitive down there. Astronauts are assaulted with about 180 db at low frequencies at takeoff IIRC and they all come out just fine. This is not something that is loud, it is something that is felt. 32 hz is a MUCH different story.

Just above you, there is a message about nausea.

Just sayin'.

Yay, i already like that thread, it's gonna be tons of fun. :santa2:

50 kw has a price. Last time I ask at the corner store. :D

Heck I'm cool with 80 db at 0 to 10hz and 100 db for 11 to 20hz. I like my organs. Lol

Yeah, the price is about $800 all in (shipping, taxes, everything) for 14000 burst watts (just under 4000 watts sustained indefinitely).

FP14000 Class TD Professional Power Amplifier - Buy professional power amplifier, class td power amplifier, FP14000 professional power amplifier Product on Sanway Professional Audio Equipment Co., Ltd.

3 of those amps would give you 42000 watts (burst) and cost about $2400. 50 of the SI 18s would cost $8000. What does the rotary sub cost? $18000 IIRC? So go the conventional driver and amp route for $10400, blow the rotary sub right out the back wall and you still have enough $$$ left over to buy a nice used car.

So Jon, basically you just want to speculate and ask questions? You don't really want to look at the data to see for yourself. It's really not that difficult and would be very useful for you, and others to see the LF content is recent movies.

I can help, if you want to do the work. Otherwise it's just conjecture.

Data of what, Pano ?

Don't you follow the thread ? Our friend Just a guy is giving us plenty to analyze, including links about all stuff that is happening outside our little audiophile's universe. I'm sure learning a lot (thanks Just a guy, seriously), do you Pano ?

6hz, Pano. SIX FCKIN HERTZ. Is Joe Morello was doing 6hz stuff? No. But Hans Zimmer, yes!

80 db at 10 hz is completely useless. You won't hear or feel anything at all.

Which makes me think about ISO 226: 2003 revision.

Should it be revised again?

What equipement will they use?

Pain threshold might be very high, unless you count in nausea. Or, i don't know, instant cerebrovascular accident ?

I seriously wouldnt bet on the single digit frequencies being harmless at even moderate SPL. Especially on the long term.

Just above you, there is a message about nausea.

Just sayin'.

Yay, i already like that thread, it's gonna be tons of fun. :santa2:

Yes, there can be nausea, anxiety, depression, and any number of other side effects. But mostly that affects people that are very susceptible to low frequency noise and/or people who don't know where the sensation is coming from.

On the other hand, it can also cause elation, euphoria, religious rapture, and exhilaration and ecstasy. (Why are all the fun things e words?)

Like any other drug it affects different people differently. But I guarantee you it will touch you in some way.

Yes, there can be nausea, anxiety, depression, and any number of other side effects. But mostly that affects people that are very susceptible to low frequency noise and/or people who don't know where the sensation is coming from.

On the other hand, it can also cause elation, euphoria, religious rapture, and exhilaration and ecstasy. (Why are all the fun things e words?)

Like any other drug it affects different people differently. But I guarantee you it will touch you in some way.

We're not even allowed to talk religion on DIYaudio, but what happens when it involves directly a sound system effect? :cool:

Pano?

Is it real? Should we target something different regarding that hard-to-reach first octave (and below) with music-oriented-system and movie-oriented-system (HT) ?

In a perfect world, i'd say no.
Go over to AVS and you'll see a thread with many movies measured with Spectralab and similar with info <10Hz. One OTTOMH example is Black Hawk Down; in the Fíng Irene scene the chopper blades are at 7Hz and very loud. When you hear a system that can actually play this back loud, it gives a completely different experience than a system high passed at say 20Hz. There are guys over there with 32 x 18" bass drivers like UM18's.

I personally use 4 FTW21's (21", 36mm Xmax one way) drivers in 1830cf (room volume) in my combined HT/2ch system. Whilst overkill for most music, as most music has little below 40Hz, it's wonderful for HT. My mains are flat in room to 40Hz, so I don't need the subs for music, they integrate very well and are used most of the time. If there is <20Hz 'rubbish' in the signal, I have a DSP setting to add in a steep HPF there.

I don't get the need for these sort of threads. No matter what a consensus results in, I'm going to build what I want to use irrespective of anyone else's opinion on the subject.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Brett - There is no point to threads like this but hand waving and conjecture. Jon asks a question in the opening post, but doesn't really want answers. He's rather do off go off on flights of fantasy.

FWIW, I don't know the LF content of movies, so I thought it might be interesting to find out. At least one person in this thread is giving us some good answers.

We're not even allowed to talk religion on DIYaudio, but what happens when it involves directly a sound system effect? :cool:

Pano?

I'm not talking about any specific religion or promoting or denouncing religion in general. I'm just stating some pretty well known facts about drumming, chanting and low frequency notes. This is backed up by science. Here's study done at Stanford university.

Brainwave Entrainment to External Rhythmic Stimuli: Interdisciplinary Research and Clinical Perspectives

Notice these interesting quotes.

... tapes included: Shamanic Drumming, at approximately 4 to 4 1/2 beats per second ...

You know what is also 4 - 4.5 beats per second? A single digit frequency sine wave. (I'm not going to do a separate search for church organs, it's pretty widely known what effect they have.)

This research supports the theories that suggest that the use of the drum by indigenous cultures in ritual and ceremony has specific neurophysiological effects and the ability to elicit temporary changes in brain wave activity, and thereby facilitates imagery and possible entry into an ASC (altered state of consciousness), especially the SSC (shamanic state of consciousness).

Drumming in general, and rhythmic drumming in particular, often induces imagery that is ceremonial and ritualistic in content and is an effective tool for entering into a non-ordinary or altered state of consciousness (ASC) even when it is extracted from cultural ritual, ceremony, and intent. The drumming also elicits subjective experiences and images with common themes. These include: loss of time continuum; movement sensations, including pressure on or expansion of various parts of the body and body image distortion, "energy waves," and sensations of flying, spiraling, dancing, running, etc.; feelings of being energized, relaxed, sharp and clear, hot, cold, and in physical, mental, and/or emotional discomfort; emotions, ranging from reverie to rage; vivid images of natives, animals, people, and landscapes; and non-ordinary or altered states of consciousness (ASC), whereby one is conscious of the fact that there has been a qualitative shift in mental functioning., including the shamanic state of consciousness (SSC) journeys, out-of body experiences (OBEs), and visitations.

A pattern that incorporates approximately 4 to 4 1/2 beats per second is the most inducing for theta gain. (Theta frequency is usually associated with drowsy, near-unconscious states, such as the threshold period just before waking or sleeping. This frequency has also been connected to states of "reverie" and hypnogogic or dream-like images.)

The pattern of the drumbeat as it relates to beats per second can be correlated with resulting temporary changes in brain wave frequency (cycles per second) and/or subjective experience, provided the drumming pattern is sustained for at least 13-15 minutes.

This is science, not religion. And organ notes have the same effect.

Search for brain entrainment and the role of organs in churches.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.