How fast is your broadband.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
. . . Most broadband in this country is slow due to old infrastructure.
I don't know if that's the reason or not, but my basic AT&T DSL service is somewhat better that yours.

Dale

Attachments

• Speed_Test.PNG
    Speed_Test.PNG
    206.2 KB · Views: 75
My student dorm is connected to the university ISP.
I've filled all my WD-Green-Caviars with TBs of stuff, but I've literally run out of downloads. I'm not really a big fan of movies and tv series (besides Trailer Park Boys and Parks & Recreation). So sadly most of the bandwith is unused :-/

Attachments

• isp.jpg
    isp.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 67
Copper cable ADSL is entirely dependent on your distance to the exchange. . . .
Don't know if that's entirely true or not. I'm not familiar with the current architecture and practices of the U.S. public switched network. I DO know (courtesy of a chatty outside plant tech who responded to a trouble report I submitted about a year ago - and possibly the only one of the dozen or so people I dealt with in the AT&T "customer service" organization who had his feces amalgamated) that my telephone central office is over 5 miles away as the crow flies. That's well beyond the limits that can support the DSL speeds I'm observing over a wire connection.

I believe my subdivision receives telephone (and DSL) service via some kind of fiber optic span line; the signals are then demultiplexed, regenerated or converted to analog, and distributed over copper pairs within the subdivision. I think I know where the related equipment cabinet is located - it's about a mile and a quarter from my house. That distance IS consistent with the DSL rates I'm getting.

Dale

I believe my subdivision receives telephone (and DSL) service via some kind of fiber optic span line; the signals are then demultiplexed,

That's the way it works here on AT&T DSL. There is a box at the edge of the neighborhood called a SLIC (subscriber line interface concentrator). It muxes together a bunch of subscribers lines and stuff's the result through a T1 line.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Seems I'm in a backwater ;) Home I get around 4Mbps down and 1Mbps up. I just tested work and it is even worse (seems that currently my work internet is going through a proxy in the US!) No wonder it's slow :rolleyes:

Tony.

Attachments

• speedtest1.png
    speedtest1.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 100
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sure you see a lil difference. When you go back to 5Mbps its really annoying
But if you are apart of a family or group of house mates someone streaming HDTV someone gaming someone on YouTube and you can still surf the web with out seeing load time it's pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one scenario where I can accept it probably makes a difference.

Definitely.

Going from the copper cable ADSL connection at around 4Mb, to the fibre optic 10Mb connection made the biggest difference.

Speed increases from there just makes downloading large files, such as games from Steam etc, far, far faster and more convenient.

3541569458.png

I've got fibre only to the cabinet at the end of the road, then overhead copper to the house, lol last house too. Probably 1/5th mile copper.

I pay for "up to 200Mbps" and I get on average around 180 down/80 up. In October we will get 1Gbps fiber. In general we have a very good infrastructure her in Sweden :D
On my cell and tablet I usually land between 40 and 60Mbps down and 5 up.

BR,
Anders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.