How fast is your broadband.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
It seems that some quote ISP promised speed and others quote actual speed. Actual speed depends on the whole chain from your computer to the server you are measuring against. A bit different I'd say.

Since my work place resides in an apartment building I have good speed during daytime. My work 100/100 connection now (lunch time) measures 95/95.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Why not post a result from SPEEDTEST. Just wait for the page to load and click the green "begin test" button. Don't click on anything else.

This is using my 6.5 yr old Acer laptop running Vista. If I switched to my Dell I get 38Mbps. Here the Acer is a limiting factor.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 109

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Why not post a result from SPEEDTEST. Just wait for the page to load and click the green "begin test" button. Don't click on anything else.

This is using my 6.5 yr old Acer laptop running Vista. If I switched to my Dell I get 38Mbps. Here the Acer is a limiting factor.

Not quite 95/95 this time, but close. :)

Who will show Gb speed?

Attachments

• speed.JPG
    speed.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 99
200 M synchronous (same uploading than downloading) with Axtel in Mexico City. It is really awsome.
3 computers, iPhones, Androids, all connected at the same time downloading, streaming, watching movies, now the cloud makes sense. You can store all your HD Tracks in the cloud and play them on every device in your network.
I´m really happy with it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
When moving from a "slow" speed of say 3 or 4 Mbps to say 40 or 100 Mpbs, can you really say your browsing experience is improved ?

For example, there are many many sites and forums (we all come across them and fortunately diyAudio isn't one of them) that take ages to load before you can even scroll the page. Ad after ad and all the other stuff that makes the page up taking forever to load. A single web page isn't that large, so how come a 40Mbps connection still takes many seconds to load the page ? AFAIK, its because the raw speed isn't the limiting factor, its the sites themselves.

The thing with BT and data limits is that its dead easy to get around. Just log out of your network connection and reconnect using your own BT Wi Fi with FON connection. OK, so you only get around 4mbs but there are no limits.

I get 40 / 10 (speedtest av. of 39.3 / 9.7)unlimited with BT (but then I have fiddled with my porting :D:D:D)
I've never had capping applied even though I run a Sim Race server from my domestic connection.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I get 40 / 10 (speedtest av. of 39.3 / 9.7)unlimited with BT (but then I have fiddled with my porting :D:D:D)
I've never had capping applied even though I run a Sim Race server from my domestic connection.

Well until 12 months ago I was on a 10Gb monthly limit and on a couple of occasions I ran it close, 9.97Gb to be exact :) With BT its automatic, if you go over it generates an email warning, do it again and you get charged but the penalty isn't much. I negotiated a 40Gb limit by whinging :D

You can check your exact usage from "my BT". I see I'm just under 10Gb average these days. Web pages have got bigger... that's my excuse.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 81
When moving from a "slow" speed of say 3 or 4 Mbps to say 40 or 100 Mpbs, can you really say your browsing experience is improved ?

For example, there are many many sites and forums (we all come across them and fortunately diyAudio isn't one of them) that take ages to load before you can even scroll the page. Ad after ad and all the other stuff that makes the page up taking forever to load. A single web page isn't that large, so how come a 40Mbps connection still takes many seconds to load the page ? AFAIK, its because the raw speed isn't the limiting factor, its the sites themselves.

Sure you see a lil difference. When you go back to 5Mbps its really annoying
But if you are apart of a family or group of house mates someone streaming HDTV someone gaming someone on YouTube and you can still surf the web with out seeing load time it's pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comcast broadband in the house is pretty constant at 20 to 25 Mbps down and 4 to 6 Mbps up.

My phone is a different matter. AT&T planted this big ugly LTE tower right outside my front door. It is one of those fake flagpoles that is lit up like an 80 foot candle with a flag on the top. I can find my way home at night because I can see it for several miles. I get to listen to the rope that holds the flag slapping against the fiberglass housing all night long on a windy night.

What do I get in exchange for this? 50 to 60 Mbps down and 20 to 25 Mbps up on a 2 year old Samsung Galaxy phone using Ookla speedtest to a server 20 miles away. If I turn the phone into a WiFi hotspot it slows down a little. USB connections go full speed. More than once I have hooked the laptop up to the phone for large uploads.

Definitely.

Going from the copper cable ADSL connection at around 4Mb, to the fibre optic 10Mb connection made the biggest difference.

Speed increases from there just makes downloading large files, such as games from Steam etc, far, far faster and more convenient.

3541569458.png

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Higher speed is desirable if you purchase high rez files as I do that are usually in the GB range, with my 2.5 - 3.2Mbps DSL connection (best ping tonight 2.23Mb down and 0.58Mb up) it can take several hours or more to download a single album. (DSD is usually an over night proposition)

IMO this is pretty poor performance and I have been agitating with the wife to get a faster internet connection from someone other than Verizon which offers only DSL around here. (No FIOS, :( )

I suspect my wife could be watching an amazon TV show which takes about 1Mbps of the available bandwidth. The best I have ever seen is 3Mbps.

Most broadband in this country is slow due to old infrastructure.

Attachments

• 3541697771.png
    3541697771.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 66
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.