• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How do you use a 0D3 regulator?

hi arnold,

i am actually put another cap after the VR tube which i got good result and minimized the hum in the phonostage of frank's design. unfortunately, while playing vinyl last night, i noticed an intermittent blinking with the two VR tubes :hot:

the two VR tubes are now dead and i'm just validating if the cause of this is due to the additional capacitor after the tubes!:smash:

i have another 2 OD3 tubes coming in next week, i hope this won't happen again!:xeye:

I am in the process to gain my own experiences with the OD3, I have build a preamp which looks a bit like the first stage if the karna, but with two 4p1l, running at 30mA each.

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Karna.gif

The psu is choke input: LCLC followed by a CCS from Kevin Carter and the OD3.

As the PSU is 9H-50uF-13H-200uF it is dead quiet already. I have build a connector, so thatI can easily put the CCS and the OD3 in or out.

Well, first attempt was so-so: The upper CCS runs at 80mA, the lower in the tail at 60mA and the OD3 lights up, havin 20mA....but it is hizzing like hell, I have to build in this small cap (Hytron 1953 OD3) some people reported not to be necessary (incl. Lynn Olson)...

Other question I have: Why did Lynn have included a 330Ohm resistor between HV and the OD3 ?I guess for measuring current I would have expected 100ohm, so it might actually have a function and not just measuring purposes ? I have now a 200ohm resistor on top of mine, but not sure if it is needed actually.