How Distortion Free are the Distortion Measurers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, the 5089 is OK. Its complement is the 5087. Lots of Beta, low noise. The base spreading R just reduces or eliminates crossover distortion in the output. I would guess, not knowing the load that's being driven, that maybe having 3 or 4 mA of standing current in the output stage would be OK. Using a 100 ohm pot should give plenty of range. You could just tweak for lowest THD....

Went to the surplus store today and bought a small collection of 1/4 watt Alen Bradley 10% resistor, still in the orignal packaging. Measured them when I got home, some were at the limit or over spec. All were greater than the posted value. Do carbon resistors change with age?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's one of many reasons carbon composition resistors are history. They also change with humidity, temperature, voltage and probably the phase of the moon. They also have higher current noise and distortion. The one virtue is momentary power handling.

I think carbon film resistors get a bad rap concerning noise and other issues -- in most circuits they work perfectly well, so long as you know that they have larger temperature and other stability drifts, and use better resistors in critical paths. If gain or amplitude stability is important, use metal film or wirewound (but watch that L/R factor); if frequency stability is important, etc.

I would do the following- first put it back together and feed a signal into the noise cal test point at the transistor jig. Look at what comes out with a good transistor in the jig. A 2n3904 running at 100 uA should get down to 1-4 nV /rtHz or so at 1 KHz or less if the base resistance is set to zero. If you add a signal via the noise cal it will be processed and should be visible at the output BNC at around 10X the level it went in at. The input Z is 600 Ohms so measure at the noise cal terminal to get the gain right..

The manual I have is for serial number 203 and really old. The internals of John Curl's are the same and his is 20 years newer than the manual. The unit has a gate voltage control for setting a fixed gate bias. I pretty much never use that and use the drain/collector current to set the biases. For matching transistors you can connect a more precise voltmeter (DVM) to the gate (base) terminal (D4) of the base supply board and readout the voltage for a target drain current which would be the operating point. Its a very clean way to match JFETs.

edits-
My manual is definitely older than the one you are looking at. It does not have the switch or relay and the connections are not brought out of the card. Your unit predates the relay and switch. I'm not sure that prevents it from measuring JFets but if you are up for the changes have at it. The older drawing will help identify what changed (attached)
Demian, Thanks for the help, luck would have it a Quantech noise generator came up on ebay! Got that, calibrated the noise, yeah. I've made replacement boards for the amp 1. The schematic has a bit less gain than the old schematic for amp 1 37db vs 32db. Could you post the Compressor schematic? It's the page after amp 1 in the manual. I want to compare the compressor schematics from my newer manual to the older manual.

I should add that the newer manual shows the implementation of the jfet switch, basically boosting the amp 1 gain by 10db. I want to make sure that I won't overload the compressor stage.

Appreciate all the help.

Ken

I think carbon film resistors get a bad rap concerning noise and other issues -- in most circuits they work perfectly well, so long as you know that they have larger temperature and other stability drifts, and use better resistors in critical paths. If gain or amplitude stability is important, use metal film or wirewound (but watch that L/R factor); if frequency stability is important, etc.

Hi Dick,
As I mentioned to Demian, I built a spare Amp 1 board, seem to work fine in testing, but one odd thing happened. When I hooked it up to your twin t at 1vrms out, the null dropped to about -80db. I've never been able to get much more that -60db on a really good day. Though I haven't measured it, I believe that the Amp 1 has a big DC offset that is taken out by a 10uF cap in the next stage, but don't know why I would get such a big null when testing this amp through your twin t.
Ken

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Check that the twin tee isn't loading the amp in a way that causes a lot of the drop. The Quantech has a notch filter as part of the AGC circuit and "compresses" the gain to meet a target level for the reference tone. The output Z may be quite high and the notch filter actually causes a drop at the notch frequency.

I'll scan the compressor circuit tonight. I have several I'm (not) trying to maintain. More insight always helps.

The input Z of the Twin-T varies a lot depending on frequency. Might be a good idea to monitor the input level to the T-T while you have it nulled, as Demian pointed out -- if the level drops when you switch the T-T in, then you have the explanation.

I've resisted putting a unity-gain buffer in front of my T-T in order to minimize distortion, but that could be a good idea here. I would use an OPA1641 were I to do it.

Check that the twin tee isn't loading the amp in a way that causes a lot of the drop. The Quantech has a notch filter as part of the AGC circuit and "compresses" the gain to meet a target level for the reference tone. The output Z may be quite high and the notch filter actually causes a drop at the notch frequency.

I'll scan the compressor circuit tonight. I have several I'm (not) trying to maintain. More insight always helps.

Demian and Dick, Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I'll follow Dick's suggestion for voltage droop. I am currently testing the Amp 1 board seperated from the Quantech, i.e. I bought a socket and have rigged up a power supply and input / outputs to test it stand alone inside of a metal box. A bit of overkill, but, I love projects...
Ken

Test of V2 of Amp 1. both tests are with 1vrms output, no voltage droop when connected to Dick's twin t, but, upon the second test the null dropped to -80 or so. Wierd! On second test I connected the amp 1 output to the Hp 8903 to get the Vrms reading, that's when the null dropped. But, when I disconnected the 8903 the null didn't come back up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ken

Attachments

• quantech_amp1_new_v2_test1.png
    quantech_amp1_new_v2_test1.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 165
  • quantech_amp_1_v2_test_2.png
    quantech_amp_1_v2_test_2.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 146
I got this from a company in Michigan that was going out of business -- also a bunch of Hewlett Packard power supplies:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This block diagram might be helpful:

When I get around to it I'll scan the manuals.

WRT Carbon Comps - they have to be derated at V>200.

I got this from a company in Michigan that was going out of business -- also a bunch of Hewlett Packard power supplies:

When I get around to it I'll scan the manuals.

WRT Carbon Comps - they have to be derated at V>200.
Hi Jack,

Much newer than the one I have. I have the 2173C which is the module that accepts the transistor, biases it and creates the noise signal. It's output is then connected to a 2181 which has amps, bandpass filters, and meters to display the noise output. I built the 2181 from the schematics... but only the 10hz and 1khz sections as they seem most relavant.

Ken

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I also have a 5173. Did you get any of the socket adapters? Mine came with one and I built another. My manual has no documentation on the adapters. I would really like to figure out one for dual transistors but I see no way to implement it in the box.

You can use one of the classic LED spectrum analyzers (eBay. . ) with the 2173. I did originally eons ago. Calibrating it is confusing however. The noise generator is key to getting everything in line.

I also have a 5173. Did you get any of the socket adapters? Mine came with one and I built another. My manual has no documentation on the adapters. I would really like to figure out one for dual transistors but I see no way to implement it in the box.

You can use one of the classic LED spectrum analyzers (eBay. . ) with the 2173. I did originally eons ago. Calibrating it is confusing however. The noise generator is key to getting everything in line.

Hi Demian, when you say "classic LED spectrum analyzers" any particular brand? or model number?

Any luck scanning the compressor schematic from your old manual?

I was in a bit of a hurry this morning, at this point, I'm pretty confidant that my duplicate amp 1 board works well. Still have to check it's self noise, probably won't get to that until next week, going out of town for a few days.

Just a bit stumped by this 40db drop in the fundamental...

Ken

If you guys are up for it, I have a request... first a little background on the quantech 2181. The schematics show all the amp circuits, and for the the 10khz section the bandpass filter is made with resistors, caps and transistors. But, for all the other frequencies, the bandpass filter also involves inductors that are not specified. So, I have no idea of the bandpass width for the other frequencies. I you had a spare moment and could measure the bandpass at 100hz and 1khz of your quantech machines, I could be sure that my design matches or is close to the original. For my current 1kHz bandpass I'm using 950hz to 1050 hz as the minus 3db points which give me a flat top from about 970 to 1030 hz.

Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.