Hornresp

As far I know and understand in HornResp the Acoustical Power is in PWL terms. How can I correlate those measures with their SPL counterpart?

Given:

PWL = power response in dB
SPL = pressure response in dB
DI = directivity index in dB
Ang = solid radiation angle in steradians

Then:

SPL = PWL + DI - 10 * Log10(4 * Pi / Ang)

For a driver in an infinite baffle radiating into half space (Ang = 2 * Pi steradians):

Attachment 1 shows the PWL as having a level of 59.9680 dB at 10 kHz.
Attachment 2 shows the on-axis DI as having a level of 25.6624 dB at 10 kHz.

The on-axis acoustical pressure response at 10 kHz is given by:

SPL = 59.9680 + 25.6624 - 10 * Log10(4 * Pi / (2 * Pi)) = 82.6201 dB

Attachment 3 shows the on-axis SPL as having a level of 82.6201 dB at 10 kHz, the same as that calculated above.

Attachment 4 compares the pressure response (black trace) to the power response (grey trace).
For half space radiation the difference is DI - 10 * Log10(2) dB.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 45
Thank you, but I already knew those formulas.
What I don't understand is why using HornResp I get a plot that gets lower as the frequency raises, while using the MJK worksheet and SpicyTL I get a plot that remains (apart the oscillations) constant when raising the frequency.

PWL vs SPL.png

I don't know if there is some error in the parameters, but I don't care so much in this moment about the differences in level and the positions of the resonances. It's the difference in behaviour that worries me.

HornResp.Params.png

The loudspeaker is a Scan Speak 18W/4531-G00.
Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
What I don't understand is why using HornResp I get a plot that gets lower as the frequency raises, while using the MJK worksheet I get a plot that remains constant when raising the frequency.

It is simply because Hornresp shows power response, whereas the MJK worksheet attempts to include directivity effects and shows pressure response instead.

(As far as I know the directivity model used in the MJK worksheet is based on the size of the horn mouth only, and does not take the actual profile of the horn into account. Depending upon the system being analysed this could lead to significant errors in some cases. To illustrate, using the simple conical horn shown in Attachment 1 as a test example, the MJK worksheet would calculate the DI to be as shown in Attachment 2. Because an actual conical horn has constant directivity characteristics, the true DI would be closer to that shown in Attachment 3).

Attachments

• Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
To illustrate, using the simple conical horn shown in Attachment 1 as a test example, the MJK worksheet would calculate the DI to be as shown in Attachment 2. Because an actual conical horn has constant directivity characteristics, the true DI would be closer to that shown in Attachment 3).
Is it possible to have the dimensions of the conical horn? Thanks

It is simply because Hornresp shows power response, whereas the MJK worksheet attempts to include directivity effects and shows pressure response instead.

(As far as I know the directivity model used in the MJK worksheet is based on the size of the horn mouth only, and does not take the actual profile of the horn into account. Depending upon the system being analysed this could lead to significant errors in some cases. To illustrate, using the simple conical horn shown in Attachment 1 as a test example, the MJK worksheet would calculate the DI to be as shown in Attachment 2. Because an actual conical horn has constant directivity characteristics, the true DI would be closer to that shown in Attachment 3).
The frequency dependence has to be hidden somewhere! Now I understand that is in DI.
Is this somewhere in HornResp?

Last edited:
Can you please tell me what can be "mathematically" the difference among PAR, CON and EXP when one deals with a cylindrical duct?

If S1 is set equal to S2 then the segment will be cylindrical regardless of whether the specified flare type is Con, Exp or Par. There will be no "mathematical difference" in that case.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 38
If S1 is set equal to S2 then the segment will be cylindrical regardless of whether the specified flare type is Con, Exp or Par. There will be no "mathematical difference" in that case.
The solutions of the B-WHE look different when the duct is exponential or conical. But, when the duct is cylindric, they can written in the same way obtained by simpler acoustical considerations.