Hornresp

Hi Josh,

Prepare to be amazed :).

Your requested enhancement will be included in the next release (provided that we can settle on a meaningful name for the Loudspeaker Wizard checkbox before then). You mentioned long Xmax drivers - Would "Large Xmax" be a suitable title, or is the tool also used with drivers that do not have an overly significant excursion?

Kind regards,

David

Dave,

You are the man. Thank you.

I believe this tweak is useful for all drivers. If it is tried on tweeters or small midranges you'll often find that the changes are miniscule. The changes are largest on big subwoofer drivers with a high normalized inductance. Drivers without shorting rings, very long coil winds, many layer coils, big motors with a lot of steel in and around the gap, high moving mass and /or low motor force, so it is more useful in those cases. However it seems to be closer to matching measurements for all drivers with it applied. I would lean towards calling it "Lossy LE" or similar.

SWAG

Hi Josh,

Prepare to be amazed :).

Your requested enhancement will be included in the next release (provided that we can settle on a meaningful name for the Loudspeaker Wizard checkbox before then). You mentioned long Xmax drivers - Would "Large Xmax" be a suitable title, or is the tool also used with drivers that do not have an overly significant excursion?

Kind regards,

David

Leach Effect Perhaps? WHG

Attachments

• WML-LossyVCI.pdf
    635.5 KB · Views: 81
How do you decide if the tool should be used on a particular driver? What physical or electrical specifications do you consider when making the decision?

Incidentally - it's good to hear from you again :).

Kind regards,

David

Yeah, nice to chat again.

My old cutoff point was Le/Re=1. And really any driver that looks beefy and/or has very high power handling. I was certainly not aware that the adjustment makes all sims for all drivers more accurate, I haven't even thought that might be the case although it does make sense as the adjustment formula is based on a log curve based on advice from you and LTD02 so there's vastly diminishing issues with moderate or lower Le/Re. Thanks very much to Ricci for pointing this out. I'm incredibly busy now so it might be quite awhile before I can run some sims on some of the pro driver measurements on data-bass.

I also agree with Ricci that the checkbox should be called "Lossy Le". At the time I did the study and wrote the paper I was well aware of lossy inductance but I wasn't sure it was the main culprit here. It always should have been called Lossy Le.

Last edited:
Hi Josh and JAG,

Thanks for the feedback. Even though we adjust Bl rather than inductance, "Lossy Le" it will be :).

Until I read your comments about all drivers, I thought that perhaps "Large motor" might be an appropriate term to use since it relates to both voice coil and magnet, and to the Bl parameter, and implies that the driver will be physically relatively large and "powerful", making it easier for the uninitiated user to identify suitable candidate drivers.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 175
I agree, Large Motor seems more understandable by a large amount of people compared to Lossy Le. Especially if there is more than one parameter involved.

To add a note, sometimes it looses the check if you go out and back in. That's pretty annoying. Can the check be remembered so you do not need to check it every time.

Last edited:
Hi Josh and JAG,

Thanks for the feedback. Even though we adjust Bl rather than inductance, "Lossy Le" it will be :).

Until I read your comments about all drivers, I thought that perhaps "Large motor" might be an appropriate term to use since it relates to both voice coil and magnet, and to the Bl parameter, and implies that the driver will be physically relatively large and "powerful", making it easier for the uninitiated user to identify suitable candidate drivers.

Kind regards,

David

"Large Motor" is pretty much the same as "Large Coil", in fact I was originally thinking of calling it the "Large Coil and Motor adjustment" but that was too wordy.

The purpose of the adjustment is simply to get a more accurate sim, the culprit for the accuracy issue is lossy inductance. It's Bl that we've shown can be adjusted to make the sim more accurate but that's because the lossy inductance issue presents as a weaker motor than the t/s specs would suggest. So the whole issue is about inductance, Bl being the adjustment parameter is just a consequence. So I don't think the checkbox title should reference Bl. It should just be called "Lossy Le" or "Lossy Inductance".

If you want to reference Bl and make it stand out to indicate that Bl is the moving parameter here, like I said, maybe just put a Bl = X in red in the place where you put the sealed box qtc in the wizard.

Those are my thoughts but I'm certainly open to discussion.

Hi USRFobiwan,

Large Motor seems more understandable by a large amount of people compared to Lossy Le.

It seems that "Lossy Le" is the more technically correct term to use. I will try to make it clear in the Help file though, that the feature is primarily intended to be used with drivers having large motors.

To add a note, sometimes it looses the check if you go out and back in.

The check box setting will be retained in the next update, and will also be automatically transferred to the main input form. It will also be possible to select the option directly from the main input form rather than having to use the Loudspeaker Wizard, and to permanently save the setting to the data record if so desired.

Kind regards,

David

The check box setting will be retained in the next update, and will also be automatically transferred to the main input form. It will also be possible to select the option directly from the main input form rather than having to use the Loudspeaker Wizard, and to permanently save the setting to the data record if so desired.

Kind regards,

David

Just wondering - will we be able to see the new value of Bl?