Hornresp

What does the program require us to enter as the Path value?

Hi Andrew,

For the 1 metre diameter baffle example I quoted, the theoretical path length difference value to use would be 62 cm, as calculated. A word of warning though - Hornresp assumes that the driver is mounted at the centre of a circular baffle, which is not a particularly practical design for the reasons outlined in my earlier post.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 184
When I was a young boy, all I got from Walt was a Pinocchio.

Hi Bill,

In my opinion Pinocchio was the best of Walt's classic five early animated features - the story was surprisingly "dark" in places.

1937 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
1940 - Pinocchio
1940 - Fantasia (included some live action)
1941 - Dumbo
1942 - Bambi

A remarkable burst of creativity in the history of U.S. cinema. Walt was the ultimate story-teller. I defy anyone to watch Dumbo and not have a tear in their eye at some stage during the film :).

Kind regards,

David

I zeroed out EQ2A and EQ2B, made some settings in EQ1A and EQ1B. saveded and re-opened and both the EQ1A and EQ1B settings were back to default.

Hi "Lucky" Jack,

This is quite remarkable. Would it be possible for you to export and post as attachments the files for the Nd and ME1 records you are using? I would like to take a look at the contents to see if they can give me any clues as to what could possibly be going on here. It just doesn't make sense that everything works okay for me but not for you - there has to be a reason somewhere!

Kind regards,

David

Hi CRESCENDO,

That would be very helpful to see how the combination of both would alter response, delay, excursion, etc. like in the real world when a HPF, LPF and EQ are used in conjunction.

Just to clarify - if provided, the feature would only apply to the Multiple Entry Horn Loudspeaker Wizard tool.

How time-consuming would it be to include phase response in the filter wizard?

I will have a look, but I suspect that the way that the Filter Wizard tool is set up (it operates after the main calculations are done) it would require a lot of work :).

Never-ending thanks for your tremendous contributions :)

Thanks for the never-ending thanks :).

Kind regards,

David

Hi "Lucky" Jack,

This is quite remarkable. Would it be possible for you to export and post as attachments the files for the Nd and ME1 records you are using? I would like to take a look at the contents to see if they can give me any clues as to what could possibly be going on here. It just doesn't make sense that everything works okay for me but not for you - there has to be a reason somewhere!

Kind regards,

David

Here you go!
Jack

Attachments

• lucky_nd.txt
    991 bytes · Views: 37
  • lucky_me1.txt
    968 bytes · Views: 32
Just to clarify - if provided, the feature would only apply to the Multiple Entry Horn Loudspeaker Wizard tool

Darn... I had a feeling. Thanks for the clarification. To get them to work together, is that also quite time consuming?

Thanks for the never-ending thanks :).

Of course! You deserve all of them - and much more!

Cheers!

To get them to work together, is that also quite time consuming?

Hi CRESCENDO,

The way that the Filter Wizard has been set up, there is no way that the different filter types can be made to work simultaneously, and a complete re-write to allow this to happen is unfortunately simply out of the question. It may be possible to include the requested phase response feature though. My immediate concern however, is to try and sort out the data saving problems in both the Filter Wizard and Multiple Entry Horn Loudspeaker Wizard tools, as identified by Jack.

Kind regards,

David

I uploaded the first part to youtube.

Hi just a guy,

In your video the Hornresp form is quite small. It is possible to make it a bit larger if you wish.

For Windows 7 the following options should be selected:

Start > Control Panel > Appearance And Personalization - Adjust screen resolution > Make text and other items larger or smaller > Medium - 125% (or Larger - 150%)

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp video

Hi just a guy,

Hornresp tutorials on Youtube is a good idea, I think many people learn stuff that way now. I see that there are other videos out there on using Hornresp, you may want to check that you are not covering something others have covered, unless you can do it better :) In addition to the suggestions by other people, here are some more input:

Visuals: As David also mentioned, the Hornresp form occupies a quite small portion of the video real estate. 1/5th or so. Increasing the size per David's suggestions, reducing the screen resolution, or capturing only the Hornresp window, would help. I also think the desktop should be neutral, perhaps uniformly black. While the woman seems to be interested in what you are doing in Hornresp, she actually occupies more of the screen area than Hornresp itself :) If the Hornresp form filled the entire frame, the viewer could actually have their own Hornresp program up at the same time, without having to run Youtube in fullscreen, and follow your demonstration.

Presentation: I think many, relatively short (7-12min), condensed videos on specific topics would be better than few long ones. That would also make it easier for people to find what they are looing for, and for you to stay on topic, and to not get sidetracked to "just show this interesting feature". Often Youtube tutorials contain too much irrelevant chitchat and take too long time to get to the point. One way to avoid that is to rehearse a couple of times first. I usually do that before lectures, it helps to get comments about less relevant stuff "out of the system", so the resulting presentation is shorter and more focused. Having a very simple script for what you will show, in the order of presentation, with some notes about what to say, can be helpful. I don't think you need a full script unless you are very unsure about what you are talking about.

Contents: There is obviously a lot to cover, so it may be good to think about the intended audience. Will the videos be to help first time users to get started, or to guide more experienced users through the advanced features of the program?

If you are targeting first time users, a quick installation guide may be useful, but make it short. Most people, even among first time users, know how to download and install SW, but a few dos and don'ts can be useful.

I would also suggest that you leave other programs out of the presentations, if your goal is to make an introduction to Hornresp. A video about using Hornresp with other programs would be useful, but I think it's better to keep that as a separate topic.

Good luck!
-Bjørn

Thanks Jack. The good news is that using your records, I experience the same problem. The bad news is that currently, I don't know the reason why. To make matters worse I have also just discovered a problem saving data to the main Filter Wizard tool itself.

It seems that I have some work to do...

Kind regards,

David
Always a relief when the problem can be replicated.

David and Bjorn, thanks for the comments. If I were to do this again (or make more videos) there are a lot of things I would do different. The audio quality alone makes this a non starter as far as I'm concerned. I did attempt to order a CSL measurement mic last week but they were sold out, it will be at least a month before I have a mic.

What I ended up with was supposed to be a trial run but after actually doing it I found I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of doing it again so I just uploaded what I had. I was planning to adjust the resolution and a few other things in the final run.

Then there's the whole issue of whether to target rank amateur or novice users. And time. I could talk Hornresp itself for probably 4 hours straight and about enclosure design for at least 20 hours. Nobody is going to what 24 hours of videos no matter how many individual short videos it's cut up into.

The most striking thing I learned about this whole process is that I really do not enjoy making videos. And at this point I think that's all the information I need.

Speaking of problems, I had one the other day with the previous version that I just assumed was a computer glitch [new win7 pro HP laptop] since the one thing HR has always been is 'bullet-proof' WRT installing/updating/etc., so just updated to 160831 and it's doing the same thing even after a machine re-boot, i.e. HR freezes up and can only be closed using the Task Manager.

I forget what function I clicked to make it happen the other day, though was in the Wizard, but this time it was clicking on the 'about HR', which displayed, then locked up while in the 'input parameters' window.

I don't have any other speaker, etc., programs or even Office installed yet, though have had HR loaded/working fine since Christmas.

GM

edit: on a re-boot the last [3] files I saved [one done, then copied/modified, then copied/modified again] by my usual 'go back one, return' to elicit the 'save' function are all gone.

Last edited:
Always a relief when the problem can be replicated.

Hi Jack,

The exported record files you posted were very helpful - they contained clues as to where to look for the problem.

I have now made a number of coding changes which hopefully will address the data saving issues experienced with the Filter Wizard and the Multiple Entry Horn Loudspeaker Wizard. I will try to release an update in the next few days.

Please note that the filter information in the two files you provided has been corrupted, and even with the proposed new release it will not be possible to save changes to those records without taking the action described below. A new feature to be included in the Multiple Entry Horn Loudspeaker Wizard will enable you to get around the problem. You will be able to press the F5 function key to restore all band pass and parametric equaliser filter slider controls to their initial default settings, effectively overwriting the corrupted data. If all goes according to plan you should then be able to adjust the filter settings and save the changes.

The F5 function key can already be used to restore corrupted Filter Wizard settings, if required.

Kind regards,

David

Speaking of problems, I had one the other day with the previous version that I just assumed was a computer glitch [new win7 pro HP laptop] since the one thing HR has always been is 'bullet-proof' WRT installing/updating/etc., so just updated to 160831 and it's doing the same thing even after a machine re-boot, i.e. HR freezes up and can only be closed using the Task Manager.

I forget what function I clicked to make it happen the other day, though was in the Wizard, but this time it was clicking on the 'about HR', which displayed, then locked up while in the 'input parameters' window.

I don't have any other speaker, etc., programs or even Office installed yet, though have had HR loaded/working fine since Christmas.

GM

edit: on a re-boot the last [3] files I saved [one done, then copied/modified, then copied/modified again] by my usual 'go back one, return' to elicit the 'save' function are all gone.

Hi GM,

Just to confirm - an earlier version of Hornresp worked fine on your new win7 pro HP laptop but the two most recent updates "freeze up", is this correct?

Kind regards,

David

Hornresp Update 3970-160906

Hi Everyone,

BUG FIX

The Filter Wizard and Multiple Entry Horn Loudspeaker Wizard data saving problems reported by Jack ('nc535') have hopefully now all been fixed. My thanks to Jack for his assistance in isolating the cause of the problem.

CHANGE 1

In the absence of any further feedback from 'papasteack' on whether or not to allow band pass filters and parametric equalisers to be used simultaneously in the Multiple Entry Horn Loudspeaker Wizard, I have decided to go ahead anyway and remove the restriction on dual operation. To reduce the potential for confusion an appropriate status message will be displayed when any of the band pass filters or parametric equalisers are being used - see Attachment 1.

CHANGE 2

In conjunction with the above change, pressing the F5 function key when the Multiple Entry Horn Loudspeaker Wizard is being used will now restore all band pass filters and parametric equalisers to their default settings.

CHANGE 3

As requested by CRESCENDO, the Filter Wizard can now show the phase response of the specified passive or active filter and loudspeaker system - see Attachment 2.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 152
Hi Everyone,
In the absence of any further feedback from 'papasteack' on whether or not to allow band pass filters and parametric equalisers to be used simultaneously in the Multiple Entry Horn Loudspeaker Wizard, I have decided to go ahead anyway and remove the restriction on dual operation. To reduce the potential for confusion an appropriate status message will be displayed when any of the band pass filters or parametric equalisers are being used - see Attachment 1.
David

Oops, I forgot. You've just done another cool enhancement ^^
Thx !