Hornresp

Hornresp Filter Wizard

Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know that because of the unprecedented interest shown in the matter, I have started developing a filter wizard for Hornresp.

The tool will have limited capabilities, but hopefully will prove to be of some use, with the ability to model a number of different active and passive filter types. It will operate in much the same way as the existing loudspeaker wizard, with results being calculated in real time so that the effect of filter design changes can be seen immediately. SPL response and diaphragm displacement charts will be provided, together with a schematic diagram for passive filter layouts.

Filter input parameter values will be retained for the duration of the Hornresp session, but will be lost once the program is closed. It will not be possible to permanently save filter settings as part of the data record for a specific design.

Kind regards,

David

Yet again "not going to happen" really means "When I get my inspiration nothing can stop me"
Your the best!

Filter input parameter values will be retained for the duration of the Hornresp session, but will be lost once the program is closed. It will not be possible to permanently save filter settings as part of the data record for a specific design.[/qute]

You could have anther .dat record for filters that can be recalled in the designer. That might be better than having it tied to a specific speaker record.
Although that might be somewhat dicey if you revamp the filter code every release.
But if the naming scheme stays the same for specific components the filter could just say "incomplete" if there is values missing that are needed. Or just work by not populating components that are not needed and a set of components mean a certain layout or filter type.

The tool will have limited capabilities, but hopefully will prove to be of some use, with the ability to model a number of different active and passive filter types. It will operate in much the same way as the existing loudspeaker wizard, with results being calculated in real time so that the effect of filter design changes can be seen immediately. SPL response and diaphragm displacement charts will be provided, together with a schematic diagram for passive filter layouts.
This is great news David. I can feel a wave of new creativity being generated!
Have you any thoughts on filter types and filter orders that you consider to be achievable?
Kind Regards
Martin (Xoc1)

Have you any thoughts on filter types and filter orders that you consider to be achievable?

Hi Martin,

At this stage...

Passive filters:

User-specified networks fitting the attached template, with each of the four RCL branches able to connected in series as shown, or in parallel as suggested by Bjørn (Kolbrek). The attachment shows the maximum number of components possible, connected in full "series" configuration.

Active filters:

Low-pass, high-pass and band-pass Butterworth and Linkwitz-Riley alignments, orders 1 to 8.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Filter.png
    Filter.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 172
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the filter references.

It is still not clear to me how to calculate filter gain given Q and ???

For example, if I wanted to specify a 4th-order Linkwitz-Riley high-pass filter, what input parameters would I use?

With my currently proposed method, the user simply selects the required alignment (Linkwitz-Riley), order (4) and cutoff frequency (100 Hz, for example).

Kind regards,

David

Last edited: