Home theatre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That looks like a good one.
I am hoping to get one focused mostly on sound for under 1k. I don't care about all the bells and whistles they keep cramming into them.
I don't care about video processing because the projector will do that just fine.

I was hoping the new anthem mrx 310 would have 7 channels but they don't...

This whole conversation has re-aroused my interest in upgrading my own system, and I decided to take a look at the 4K TVs at a local showroom. There's no question as to the increase in resolution and clarity, and by the time sufficient content is available, the prices may have settled down to "affordable" 65" Sonys were in the $4500 neighbourhood

Yeah, while the Anthems reputedly have a wonderful Room Compensation utility, and one of the local shops highly recommends them for sonics, they seem to be lagging behind some of the mainstream HT manufacturers in feature set.

As I've mentioned before, I've recently been quite impressed by 2 different models of Marantz, and another budget 7.1 to consider might be the NR1604 - it lacks full 7channel line out, and I don't think allows assignabillity of amp channels for bi-amping. For a fuller feature set and double the output power, there's the SR5008

No doubt I'm probably way behind the curve as far as home theater stuff goes, but I've always like the idea of a preamp processor so I can keep all the options open (and endless fiddling around) with trying out different amplifier options, including powered speakers. From that point of view this one has been high on my list Outlaw AudioModel 975 If anyone here has other suggestions for PreProcessors I'd love to hear what others like. As a side note for whatever it may be worth I think the 10p's in the FHXL enclosures would be awesome for main L and R bumped up near the wall and flanking a 120 inch projector screen.

That looks like a good one.
I am hoping to get one focused mostly on sound for under 1k. I don't care about all the bells and whistles they keep cramming into them.
I don't care about video processing because the projector will do that just fine.

I was hoping the new anthem mrx 310 would have 7 channels but they don't...

That is exactly what Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is for. I didn't mention anything else, but just that; quality balanced sound everywhere in your room. :)

Go ahead; do some further research and read comments from real owners.

* Me I only got an older Integra DHC-80.3 and when I disengage Audyssey MultEQ XT32 the sound is lifeless, boring, excruciating!
But soon as Audyssey is back on, bingo! ...Fully balanced sound @ all frequencies of the entire audio spectrum. ...Mids are clear, highs are smooth and velvety, and lows are tight and deep.
But that's me with my meticulous mic positioning (8 of them).
I just share what I know, for you.

Marantz has a separate SSP, the AV8801 ($3,599); also with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, but it costs more than the Onkyo TX-NR818 ($649 avg. street).
That Onkyo Receiver has preouts, so you can add additional power and use it as a great pre/pro (SSP).

Marantz also has a receiver, the SR7008 ($1,999), and with Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

Last edited:
Indeed, reading deeper into the (156 page) instruction manual, this is the first time I've seen a surround receiver with facility for digital processing crossover network to bi-amp speakers "without crossover" .( pages 59 - 64). Many others will allow assignment of amp channels for passively bi-amping front mains, but if the preceding means what I think it does, this thing will allow for full active bi-amping of front mains- as well as the bass management for LFE channel.

A bit of godsend for a FR based HT rig, even if at several hundred dollars more than street price, wouldn't you say?

If you bi-amp, don't use speakers below 8Ω. ...Very important.
And best stick with stereo music listening when using that feature.
After all it's only a forty pounds 7.2-channel receiver with only THX Select2 Plus certification (2,000 cubic feet room), and ISF video certification Ready.

* With higher up Onkyo/Integra receivers (1010, 3010 & 5010), you have nine (9) channels of amplification and you can additionally bridge the two front main L & R speakers. ...Over 300 watts per channel (and again, only with 8Ω load speakers, nothing below).

But the main thing with the TX-NR818 receiver is Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
And it also has Audyssey Dynamic EQ & Volume.
...And Audyssey DSX and DTS Neo:X with Width and Height channels.
...And Dolby Pro Logic IIx and IIz. ...Of course.
Ethernet port, USB port, preouts for all channels (9.2), lots of HDMI inputs (8), and two HDMI outputs (main one with ARC).

...And a dual core video processor (HQV and Marvel Qdeo for 4K upscaling).

Last edited:
Indeed, reading deeper into the (156 page) instruction manual, this is the first time I've seen a surround receiver with facility for digital processing crossover network to bi-amp speakers "without crossover" .( pages 59 - 64). Many others will allow assignment of amp channels for passively bi-amping front mains, but if the preceding means what I think it does, this thing will allow for full active bi-amping of front mains- as well as the bass management for LFE channel.

A bit of godsend for a FR based HT rig, even if at several hundred dollars more than street price, wouldn't you say?

That's all, only 156 pages! ...Perhaps it's best to stay away from such complex machine. :shhh: ;)

That's all, only 156 pages! ...Perhaps it's best to stay away from such complex machine. :shhh: ;)

19 pages of which was instructions and list of remote control codes for various makes and models of equipment for which the remote can be programmed

don't operate this equipment if wearing a pacemaker :D

JUST KIDDING, I think - those studies are still underway :eek:

BTW, I made a quick survey of some local bricks and mortar retailers and the 818 has be superceded by an 828 - still a helluva bargain at $1100 Cdn for folks looking for what it'll do in a one box solution.

Never owned an Onkyo - of course by the time I'm ready, there'll be an 838, or some such - it's not always "same old wine, brand new bottle", but often isn't much more than new shapes of knobs and colors of fascias and backlighting

I never mentioned the TX-NR828 because it's not worth mentioning.
It is a huge downgrade with only Audyssey MultEQ, and it lost seven pounds (33 pounds now, from 40 with the 818.}

Best is MultEQ XT32 and Pro Ready.
Second best is MultEQ XT32.
Third best is MultEQ XT.
Fourth is MultEQ.
Last is 2EQ (no bass equalization).

And the Onkyo TX-NR929 is more money; the 818 is the real deal.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's bloody frustrating when manufacturers downgrade specs and " Easter Egg" functions on seasonal model changes . Not only does the 828 lack the XT32, but also the Digital crossover for biamping feature, and since that's for some reason not deemed a particularly significant feature (and maybe rightly so), you've got to drill down into the "advanced set-up" section of the owners manual to verify. FWIW, the 929 has both, and I did find listings on Amazon and E-bay for the now discontinued 818s at approx the price Bob mentioned earlier.

For me this was really just a passing fancy, but for someone seriously looking for an upgrade to whom such a feature set was alluring, this could be very disappointing.

edit: Bob, what exactly is XT32 Pro Ready?

From my brief research on the subject over the past day or so, I thought that MultiEQ Pro was an on site service provided by licensed certified installers.

Last edited:
Audsyssey MultEQ Pro is a kit with a more accurately calibrated microphone, a mic stand, XLR cable, an advanced software programming (using a laptop) where you are allow up to a certain point to modify and save your target curve(s), and are able to perform up to 32 mic measurements (@ different room positions).

Or you can buy the kit yourself, with a "key" to unlock it (about $500-600), or you can pay a certified Audyssey Pro audio calibrator to do it for you (about $300).
But if you change gear or move furniture, you'll have to rehire him again and pay him again to re-calibrate from the start.

Just google Audyssey MultEQ Pro with the kit.

But briefly, in conjunction with MultEQ XT32 it is an even more performing sound system.
And if you have a larger home theater room with few rows of seats, it's a worthwhile feature and investment.

But not all Audyssey products are Pro Ready. The Onkyo TX-NR818 is not (I believe).
But you have other higher up Onkyo/Integra receivers and SSPs who are indeed Audyssey MultEQ Pro Ready. ...And some Denon/Marantz receivers (SSPs) too.

But! As Audyssey MultEQ Pro is liked by many people, and as Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is available in affordable Onkyo/Integra and Denon/Marantz products (the Onkyo 818 is the most affordable one right now), other people (or the same people) are now talkin' 'bout Acourate, Dirac Live, and couple more advanced Room Correction and sophisticated EQualization systems (check the Parametric EQ thread started by Marcus, here @ diyAudio forums).

There is a lot of computational force in them systems, and a lot to learn and write about...but I simply wanted to name two receivers (Onkyo 818, and Sherwood Newcastle R-972) that have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Trinnov respectively, and that you can still purchase (brand new) for $600 each.

These are the lowest prices ever on products with such sophisticated Auto Room Calibration and EQ systems. For people like here @ diyAudio forums they are excellent tools (very affordable too) to learn from and to explore an odyssey of solid surrounding sounds.

Down-to-earth people with conscientious value of life. ...The more I explore my surroundings the more I discover that here.

I just went through the 929 specs. I think this is the one I'll go with. There shouldn't be any 4k issues with that one. With how close my couch will be to the screen I think I want to go with 4k. I can be patient with my 42" until that point. By the time my speakers are built I am sure the price will come down. It also has Bluetooth which I know the wife will love for music.

I have a feeling the new sound system will make even my little tv seem bigger!

I guess with that receiver I can add 2 high speakers later to the system. I guess upgrading never ends!

But the price difference between the 818 and 929 is substantial (for normal people).
If money is not a concern shure go ahead and get the 929; it is fully equipped for top-notch home theater performance, and more.
* I believe you can get the 929 for roughly $1,000 (check Newegg.com on Saturdays).

EDIT: I just checked; and the 929 is $1,299 right now @ Newegg.
And the 818 is $699 @ the same place.

But! At one point in time the 929 was $999 (brand new) over @ Accessories4less.com (right now it is $888.88 for a refurb).
And same place the 818 is $649 (refurb also).

Last edited:
Bob -re A4L -from some initial research I get a response that item only available in US, but when you try to fake it out and create a shopping cart, it'll go ahead and calculate shipping to a V9B postal code. The default shipping came in at $230 - maybe that includes duty, etc?

I found this a bit confusing - do you have experience buying from them and shipping to a CDN address?

Of course for any US members interested, this ain't a problem, and thanks to this conversation, remaining stocks may well soon be depleted.

No Chris, I haven't bought stuff from A4L.

For us Canadians, we don't have the deals they have south of the border.
But, someone posted a link recently for the 818 @ $750 Cdn. ...that's pretty good.

A place to check is London Drugs, for clearance sales (50% off).
And perhaps some Canadian members here know other good places to shop for electronics (receivers, ...) here in Canada?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.