Home theatre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chris, so you are looking for a good price here in Canada for an Onkyo 818?

I'm sure some US and CDN members here @ diy know how to exactly proceed.
But the warranty issue could be problematic. I believe it's two years with Onkyo receivers.

Do you have one right now (a receiver) Chris? ...What is it?

USA/Canada free trade agreement, food export/import, oil transfer (pipes), partnership, marijuana legalization, timber exchange, forest fires help, electrical black outs help, brothers of the land and blood, ...where did it all go? I want my Onkyo. ...Equally discounted. :)

Last edited:
Bob - yes, I currently have a HT receiver,(Denon AVR1610) with which I'm less enthralled almost daily, but it is paid for, and I almost don't get lost trying to navigate the layers of menus or remote control.

As I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, and certainly elsewhere, my interest in upgrading the HT rig has recently been piqued by a combination of factors, predominantly helping my daughter & son-in-law, and sister set up newer models of Marantz SRs .

Since I futz around mostly with single driver systems of moderate sensitivity, and my own room is relatively small compared to many dedicate THX houses of worship, the 120WPC or higher that the higher end of any makers' lines deliver is not crucial. What is very intriguing is that for the few occasions that I'd like to field test an actively powered 2 way, the digital XO feature (not particularly well promoted), as well as the XT32 that you brought to my attention that both the Onkyo 818 and 929 seem like a stellar combination - and I'd certainly have to agree that a street price of circa $700 +taxes/reasonable shipping for the 818 is a bargoon for sure. If one was to become available, it'd be hard to say no, but it's not currently at the top of my list.

Unless amortized with another trip, the ferry ride to & fro the mainland could easily exceed the most outrageous freight charges I've seen.

It'll either happen, or not

thanks again for the suggestions

Denon AVR-1610 ... Audyssey MultEQ (up to 6 mic positioning measurements). ...Very decent auto room EQ system (equalizes the bass).
It's also an entry level receiver; very inexpensive.

And I prefer Marantz receivers over Denon myself. Marantz has improved its game in the last couple years.

* I am looking @ the thread's title: Markaudio Designers and Builders of audiophile grade drivers, from the Home Theater forum's section, in the Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio district.
And, ...I'm not sure if I'm @ the right place! Lol

Probably, but wait for Dave to reply to that - note that he's not always an early riser, but is pretty good about answering e-mails @ the planet10 address

I've seen drawings for literally hundreds of variants of the "Ken" family for many makes of drivers - have built more than a few, but certainly not all, and am getting more disorganized every month on my filing.

My question is more about if there is a difference in the driver dimensions itself. I noticed on the Mark Audio site the 10p driver has the drawing of dimensions listed as 10.2.
I just wanted to make sure the dimension of the driver didn't change. I want to make sure for the guy cutting this for me.

My question is more about if there is a difference in the driver dimensions itself. I noticed on the Mark Audio site the 10p driver has the drawing of dimensions listed as 10.2.
I just wanted to make sure the dimension of the driver didn't change. I want to make sure for the guy cutting this for me.

Unless Mark has departed from his previous production, the frame sizes should be the same - depending of course on whether you use the separate extra bezel frame, which adds to overall diameter and rebate depth. Note - I always like to allow approx an extra .5mm on diameter to allow for easy install/removal - there is such a thing as "too tight".

What is still probably germane to your question is that the TSP of the drivers have changed enough from .2 to .3 & P versions of the 10 that volume and tuning of some enclosure designs required revisiting - so it's definitely worth confirming with Dave. measure once - cut twice :mad:- been there more than I care to admit (bondo is your friend :rolleyes:)

Bob - just to revisit an earlier conversation, in a moment of weakness I found one of the 818s through Amazon - more that the prices you were banding about, but still less than my "good guy / dealer cost + shipping" price on the Marantz with most directly comparable feature set.

This is a very nice piece - now I just have to set aside a weekend to install it and learn a whole new remote control's functions. Hell, even before upgrading existing front row, I'm toying with the idea of adding front height / width channels - anyone have anecdotal experience to relate regarding those?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.