Home Brew PCBs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
some of my diy home made pcb

Attachments

• DSC06309.jpg
    DSC06309.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC06405.jpg
    DSC06405.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC06447.jpg
    DSC06447.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC06454.JPG
    DSC06454.JPG
    566.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC06639.JPG
    DSC06639.JPG
    553.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC06896.JPG
    DSC06896.JPG
    570.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC06941.JPG
    DSC06941.JPG
    538.2 KB · Views: 80
No one is disputing what works for some and not for others, this thread is intended to produce a result that EVERYONE can duplicate.

The photo resist method is the method that is most reliable, doesn't require any magic paper and is 100% repeatable.

Recently available is photo negative film, easily applied with a laminator, eliminates costly failures with expensive photo resist board.

I've been trying it with Caustic soda as a developer which is too harsh, I'm just waiting for the correct developer which is cheap.

Photo resist does require a printer that can produce a good solid opaque image, that can be any printer printing onto acetate. My GelJet produces the best results but so can a decent laser printer.

Last edited:
I have a large Vinyl cutter that I used to use make CD label's with and I also used it to make Patterns to stick on boards for etching and that worked great!!!

Now days you can get a small vinyl cutter rather cheaply ($100 to $200).
I had almost bought one when I discovered the toner transfer method since I didn't have my big one with me at the time.

I still have the big one now but it needs some new rubber wheels so it is not operational at this time.
I also have a medium sized HP color plotter that I have been thinking about some how rigging it up to work as well.

I just recently read an article of someone stripping down an InkJet Printer to print directly on to a board.
It was an Epson CX series printer and I have one of those too that still works!!

There is a 3D printer available in a kit form for about $850 that will do the job and i saw another version that spit out wax on to the board for etching.

Check out the KickStarter website as that is where I saw those devices.
Pretty cool stuff with resources as to where to find or how to make the print heads!!

One other version I saw used a small laser that could cut paper and Balsa wood and other lite material that I am sure could be made to cut some sort of stencil applied to the board just like a vinyl cutter would do.

Hmmmmmmmm................................................

jer :)

Last edited:
Jer, maybe another option would be to print on self adhesive labels stick on the board and then cut out the non-trace parts and strip?
Might be tricky though and the label would have to be 'weather proof' to ensure the adhesive is not a water soluble PVA type.
Suppose it depends on how handy one is with a scalpel to accurately trace the outlines and then peel the unwanted bits away.

Jer, maybe another option would be to print on self adhesive labels stick on the board and then cut out the non-trace parts and strip?
Might be tricky though and the label would have to be 'weather proof' to ensure the adhesive is not a water soluble PVA type.
Suppose it depends on how handy one is with a scalpel to accurately trace the outlines and then peel the unwanted bits away.

That is exactly what I did!!
I cut my trace pattern in the vinyl and then you stick it to a transfer tape. Then you take off the pieces you don't want and stick it to the board, pull off the transfer tape and etch it!!

I was able to scan my image in and I have a tracer program that would calculate the cuts around all of the traces between the black and white shades in the image.

It was a very expensive program for the mid 90's. ;)

The Epson R800 will print onto the copper without resorting to butchering, however, even the Epson genuine pigment inks are not water resistant.

I've got an R800 here, virtually unused - anyone can have it for £100. It comes with 7 x brand new genuine cartridges which cost £100 alone.

Last edited:
Man....I wish I had the cash!!! :)

I was looking for one as they are old.

In the hacked up version he said he had to make a print and then bake it and make another print and bake it like 2 or 3 times for it to make a suitable resist.

Repeatability can be an issue there, although I haven't read the whole thing to see how he solved that issue

If I could make the print head work with a suitable ink, I could figure out a way to mount it on either my HP plotter or my Vinyl cutter as it is just a bigger and more powerful plotter.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.