Holton AV800 Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have a copy of the actual schematic for Anthony Holtons AV800.

When I purchased my AV800 boards from Anthony I realized the schematic included in the downloadable construction notes was the wrong schematic, when I emailed Anthony about this matter he confirmed he had made a mistake and said he would contact me when he had posted the correct schematic.

That was over two years ago and I would really like to have a copy of the correct schematic, one was supposed to be shipped with the boards when they were sent but wasn't.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help.

P.S. Yes I could make my own from the PCB's but that is a fair bit of work I would rather not have to undertake.;)

I have some AV800 PCB's dated Jan 2001
and I noticed that the pcb layout lacks
a few items shown in the downloadable
schematic.

http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/downloads/AV800.pdf

ZD3, ZD4, ZD5, ZD6, D3, D4
seem to be missing from the pcb layout.

I also see he added two LED's/resistor
per rail on the pcb that is not shown on the schematic. Not a big deal.

R23 and R45 on the pcb are not on
the schematic, but it appears that
these are suppose to be zero ohm
resistors or a jumper wire because
the rail capacitors need to be connected
to ground and shorting these would
connect the circuit to ground.

From my research and asking around,
I think the schematic above is correct
and errors were made on the pcb
layout so if I was a gambling man,
I would build the module as shown
in the schematic and do some modifications to the pcb as needed.

It should work.

Did I miss anything else?

PCB errors

:eek: Well after scrutinizing part of the PCB and comparing it to the schematic I see Q3 and Q4 (2SA1306) are labelled backwards, this could have caused some serious headaches.

As seen in message 55
JasonL said:
I also noticed that he scratched some information off the boards that i received.
in this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/show...age=15&highlight=av800+schematic&pagenumber=4 Anthony made some corrections but didn't bother to tell anyone or post the info anywhere now I do not feel comfortable with either the schematic or the PCB both have errors, which one should I consider correct:scratch2: :headbash:

Ill be starting mine soon. but i to am kinda scared of his mistakes i don't make millions of money and don't want to make mistakes. he also made mistakes on his n-channel that my dad pointed out to me. So instead i have chosen to build my zen's and aleph 2's first. then ill think about building them if not ill sell the boards and do something different.

Av800

I have the boards fully populated (except for the output devices which I will install if the amp passes initial testing), I am adding a Zobel network, soft start and DC speaker protection/turn on delay.

My power supply capacitors should be here this week and my toroids are on order (plitron), I have had my heatsinks for over a year now, I have been busy with other projects.

I will be building a power supply and testing the AV800's before I invest in building all the extra stuff, as I have spent a considerable amount of money so far and I am concerned that this project will turn out to be a waste of timeand money.

I have a feeling these problems have lead to the lack of support by Anthony Holton, he is probably sitting on a large supply of PCBs that are faulty.

I should have some sort of news in the next month or two.

Re: Av800

nikonfanatic said:
I have a feeling these problems have lead to the lack of support by Anthony Holton, he is probably sitting on a large supply of PCBs that are faulty.
I don't know how Anthony deals with this but everyone can make boards with errors but when they are discovered why don't update the website as soon as possible? Costs nothing and when the pcb's are sold put a note on each pcb telling the errors.

I made also an error but I mentioned it as soon as I discovered it. It's a little embarrasing because my CAD program has a list over all shortcuts, and "airlines" (traces with zero width). Why don't I just look at this window?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 2,698
NICE

This is perfectly acceptable and appreciated.
It would bother me that I purchased a faulty board but it is better than building the project and having it not work due to a faulty board.

Perhaps people demanded their money back or replacement PCBs and this is what caused Anthony to go into hiding.:scratch:

Hi.

The best way is to make your own PCB's.Choose some EDA software,like Protel DXP,Orcad,PCAD2002 etc.In each software there is a guidence with tutorials.You'll need some little time and practice.Don't be desperate if it doesn't look like the professional product.By the way the Holton's schematic is valid but the PCB's is a another story.
Cheers.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.