• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hlly Tamp-90 Ta2022 Chip "a True Pearl"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Isn't the Amp 10 also based on the 2022?

I would simply e-mail David ( I think that's the Hlly guy) tell him about your experiences measuring the Hlly 90 version 2 board and see if he'd be willing to let you try the version 3 board. Just given the changes they've made to the amp in a short period of time, I suspect it's been a work in progress for them too. They might be very happy to get your input on whether progress really has been progress.

I'm still mystified by my bad experience trying the amp with the Alon V speakers. I did plug it in back at home and it sounded much better, but it's been like having an accident in a new car. It's hard for it to feel shiny again.

Isn't the Amp 10 also based on the 2022?

Yes and in some ways it may have been a better place to start, but I didn't see it. The power supply capacitors are too tall and must be changed to ones no higher than about 30mm in order to fit.

I would simply e-mail David ( I think that's the Hlly guy) tell him about your experiences measuring the Hlly 90 version 2 board and see if he'd be willing to let you try the version 3 board. Just given the changes they've made to the amp in a short period of time, I suspect it's been a work in progress for them too. They might be very happy to get your input on whether progress really has been progress.

Let them buy their own oscilloscope and signal generator! :p

I also just discovered they are using power supply capacitors rated at 35 volts, and actually operating them at 35 volts--not a good idea!!

"I also just discovered they are using power supply capacitors rated at 35 volts, and actually operating them at 35 volts--not a good idea!! "

New v3 revision has new, different capacitors. I wonder if new ones are rated more than 35v.

I'll try to let you guys know. My amp is at customs and i'm gonna finally have it next week :)

Well it's finally arrived.At last.I've plugged it in and first impressions are very favourable.It's the first amp of this type I've had in my system or even heard before,as I've been a valve amp person for years.I'll post more detailed impressions once it's run in a bit.I have to say though,it's bloody good straight out of the box!

First impressions

Hlly 90 is burning in for 4 hours now.

Before Hlly had Rotel ra-980bx for quite a long time. Before there was Cambridge Audio Azur 640a. I've never had valve amp but I've heard heavily modified Music Angel couple of times at my friends house on a system similar to mine.

First thing. Hlly 90 is MUCH MUCH MUCH more like valve amp then transistor. No harshness and creamy midrange, not tiring, you can listen for hours.
It is a lot darker. It could have more sparkle at treble.
Bass is very good but not as controlled as it was with Rotel, but this is understandable. Controlled bass is Rotel speciality (DF>1000 !!!). My speakers probably go below 3ohm.

That would be it for now. I wonder if burning in changes anything.

What I've noticed is that people who play with the Tripath 2020, 2024, and 2050 talk a lot about transparency and detail. That doesn't come up much with the 2022. A lot of people mention some version of "warmth" with the 2022 though the thing I find interesting is that it does reproduce a lot of detail (as in pick out voices in a chorus, knowing whether it's fingertips or a pick on a guitar).

It strikes me as a very good deal for someone who wants a completed amp that works with most speakers. Even my Alon owner friend who had virtually nothing good to say about the Hlly t-90 commented that the case and transformer by themselves might be a hundred and twenty dollars if you tried to buy them separately.

My own TAMP-90 will be down for at least another week as I wait for parts to arrive. Meanwhile, I've been listening to my TA2024-based Dayton (Sonic Impact) which is more or less stock save for larger coupling caps which give me more or less flat frequency response down to at least 20 Hz. I think both seem to have a "house sound" which is big, warm and kind of fat, and I mean that in a good way. I am especially looking forward to enjoying these amps in the hottest part of summer, when even the moderate warmth thrown off by my 300B SET monoblocks feels uncomfortable.

One caveat though-I am using the amp with a WAD Pre 2,which is a superb valve preamp.The amp sounds far better through this than on it's own,by comparison sounding grey and flat.Sounds ok but not great.Adding the pre makes it excellent.Also,am using MLTL's with Fostex Fe167e and FT17h supertweeter,so a very easy load.Haven't tried it on the stats yet.

Hi!
I even bought a second hand T amp 90.
The amplifier was noise, so it was replaced with the IC. The noise ceased, and then two weeks later I was noise on both channels. I made it to the repair, which the company issued HLLY (two capacitors soldered), but the noise remained. I noticed that the volume knob by turning the noise varies. The biggest noise by room volume and the smallest by max volume.
The PCB version: ver 2.2 Two 10,000 uF 35V ELNA capacitors in it.
White noise can be caused by the volume knob?
Thank you:
lono981

AMK-II Pre-amplifier for TAMP-90 will be ready soon

Hello:

AMK-II Pre-amplifier for TAMP-90 will be ready soon! Here is the picture of AMK-II:

AMK-II-15.jpg

AMK-II-02.jpg

AMK-II-08.jpg

AMK-II-10.jpg

The retail price will be very special for old TAMP-90 user!! for more information, Please visit DAC,Audio Amplifier,Hifi Amplifier,Tube Amplifier,Hlly Audio, Hlly Electronics

THanks

HLLY Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.