Hires 96/24 listening test of opamps

Which of the files do you prefer by listening?

• rr = LM4562

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • ss= OPA2134

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • tt = MA1458

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • uu = TL072

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • vv = OPA2134

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I can not hear a difference

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my second system I can easily differentiate MP3 320 kbps (LAME) vs FLAC. The lack of treble is well-known. In other houses, with much more expensive equipment, I have been unable to differentiate between MP3 320 kbps (LAME) and FLAC!!! Again, the bottlenecks.

It is true that I do not listen to current commercial music, I can not stand it. On the AV Marantz tuner I only listen to RNE Radio Clásica.

Ogg -q9 is how I store the little music that I carry in the phone.

Interesting, PMA.
I'm looking forward to trying this myself.
I'm expecting my DacPlus to arrive tonight and I use the same headphones.

mlloyd1

OK. With notebook, DAC (DacMagic Plus) and Sennheiser HD598 and no additional digital amplification I hear both -80dB and -100dB files. I do not hear the -120dB file.

This is maybe not so important for the test, but it indicates to limits of the chain used.

Interesting, PMA.
I'm looking forward to trying this myself.
I'm expecting my DacPlus to arrive tonight and I use the same headphones.

mlloyd1

Good. Just make sure that your PC really sends 24bit data to your PC. If it is Win/WDM, 96/24 must be set in the control panel (as attached). Or, Foobar works well with the wasapi plug-in. Or use ASIO.

Attachments

• dacmagic_win_setup.png
    dacmagic_win_setup.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 156
I suppose it depends on the purpose of the test. If we want to know what the DAC output looks like at -120dB from full scale, then adding digital gain would ruin the test.

Thing is, I don't currently have a preamp in my system. I have some Grace Design 101 mic preamps around that I could patch in I guess.

The power amp input attenuator trimpots are turned down to help avoid driving the NS-10s at well above full power. Since they are nicely balanced for stereo right now, I don't want to tweak them up all the way. Pain to get them adjusted back down again.

There are some similar trimpots inside the DAC-1 which can be switched in or out. Maybe I should be using them instead for rare cases like this, but the current configuration is probably safer.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Interesting, thank you. For my listening on speakers these days its very quiet, probably not even 75dBA for -20dBFS which would mean that the -80 tone would not be heard. I'm not sure when I will get experimentation time as the living room is likely to become a bedroom for the next 4-6 weeks but will try. I suspect that the combination of children and a wife with sensitive ears means that I just don't hear things down that low as they are buried in room noise.

Bill, I don't think the purpose of this testing is to simulate hearing or reproduction of very quiet sounds, but rather to get some idea of how well a DAC can resolve only a few bits of difference, and maybe how noisy it is.

When listening to the Hi-Res test files that I sorted, the listening volume was comfortable, maybe around 70dB SPL. But, the resolution of fine details was good enough to make possible detection of very small file differences, barely though.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.