Hiraga "Le Monstre"

what types of regs are you recommending?

Have you tried different feedback resitors?

Regards

Sam

I used active capacitance multipliers with negative feedback. The French magazine L'Audiophile had published an interesting design in the 1980ies.

Give me your email address and I'll send the schematics.

No, I've never tried different feedback resistors.

Last edited:
Hi Hartmut,

I know. It was in the late eighties or early nineties when I brought the schematics and a pair of Hiraga 30W A with regulated power supplies to a listening session to Mirek and Wolfgang.

Probably this could have been the initialisation of building regulated Monstre and Hiraga in Munich... Here in Bamberg, dozens each of both amps with regulated supplies from that time are still running.

Regards,
Georg

Hi,

i can remember having both, capacity multiplier and Batteries, buffered with more than 1F Capacitance on my LeMonstres. Batteries had no sonic benefits over the Capacitance Multiplier.
With a capacity multiplier the amp sees much more capacity than you could afford in real capacitors.
AND, when driving Monstres with higher bias, you have to recharge the Batteries every Day.
AND - DONT use Lead Acid Batteries inside rooms!

I remember Hirag writing that the batteries are not for bass (there is enough bass, with the cap multiplier it is straight from 2-400kHz); no:

the batteries and the supercapacitors are there to create the very very low level ambience realistically.
I have the supercapas not the batteries though.
I once saw an airplane battery, these are totally sealed (no corrosion in an airplane) so safe in a home.
albert

Ook goedendag Karel,
Ah it's the new series; I was checking the old series which I have completely, but of the new series I just own some, not all.
Could you send me a copy-scan of the article as well?
The drawing is by Pierre Johannet when I am right.
Groet,
Pieter

Hi, hi ...
I do it stande pede .... (dus:direct) ... @ your "p" adres, please (via PM)
Nice to read you ...
Allez, salukes ...
Karel

Ook goedendag Karel,
Ah it's the new series; I was checking the old series which I have completely, but of the new series I just own some, not all.
Could you send me a copy-scan of the article as well?
The drawing is by Pierre Johannet when I am right.
Groet,
Pieter

Correct (nouvelle série). I built a version of his balanced Kaneda amp a decade ago. Horribly I got one channel working the other I had something wrong in my self made PCB's.
The powersupply that was mentioned before - had me blow the main fuse of our house :eek: I built it with 2 x 25 Amp FETs; just a bit too much. I had not given it a slow start.

I remember now why the power supply bounced and oscillated heavily: I had as section after the supply, 56.000 muF capacitors. That is why they were completely opened up to maximum conductivity. The schema has 8 muF and a formal stopper resistor even to reduce the output current. I should try it again that way!
albert