Hiraga "Le Monstre"

Exactly this :

Hiraga Le Monstre JFET 1983.jpg

But we are planning also to build a second version with currently available devices (except for the JFETs) to compare.

Patrick

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Hello,
I started making the monster. There are a few things I'm stuck on. Why were 47uf capacitors installed, which are not in the diagram? What effect does it have?
Which of the 5watt resistors I have should I use? Thank you in advance for your valuable help.

Attachments

• Le Monstre8watt.jpg
    Le Monstre8watt.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20240405_225713.jpg
    IMG_20240405_225713.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 54
I would use ceramics on the left and I 've clamped them to the heatsink.
I wouldn't. Use Mills 5W, you will hear them.

For as close a sound as possible to the original I'd highly recommend using AN Niobium 0.5W resistors for the input and feedback dividers.

Your input devices need to be curve trace matched + lowest possible Idss (if LS). If not you're dead in the water.

For local capacitance I'd say use a 0.1uF vishay 1837 MKP bypass and something like a 100 to 220uF lytic cap. Maybe Pana FR

Happy listening

Last edited:
Hello,
I started making the monster. There are a few things I'm stuck on. Why were 47uf capacitors installed, which are not in the diagram? What effect does it have?
Which of the 5watt resistors I have should I use? Thank you in advance for your valuable help.
To begin with the most important thing is that it works. Later you can try with better parts. For resistors you can freely use Dale RN60 and for power resistors Dale NS or MRA . Ohmite WN (pictured) is just as good as NS or MRA, but it is much cheaper.

Attachments

• le monstre.jpg
    le monstre.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't. Use Mills 5W, you will hear them.

For as close a sound as possible to the original I'd highly recommend using AN Niobium 0.5W resistors for the input and feedback dividers.

Your input devices need to be curve trace matched + lowest possible Idss (if LS). If not you're dead in the water.

For local capacitance I'd say use a 0.1uF vishay 1837 MKP bypass and something like a 100 to 220uF lytic cap. Maybe Pana FR

Happy listening
Hello,
Thank you for your help.
I used 2sk246 and 2sj103 for input. Idss 5.34mA and 5.28mA enough for these small jfets?

;)
For maximum sound: resolution and homogeneity, in the case of Hiraga's Classe A, or Le Monstre - and also other half-wave amplifiers:
  • Connect each half-wave amplifier to even just one secondary winding of the transformer - Two rectifier bridges or only two simple diodes required.
  • With several parallel capacitors: route the voltage supply lines to the amplifiers in the opposite direction to the earth connection.
  • Make sure that the cables to the amplifiers and power transistors are identical in length: per half wave and channel.
  • Remove the thick copper bars and replace them with single wire, max. 1 mm diameter.
I would remove bypass capacitors.

Attachments

• DSCN0459.JPG
    DSCN0459.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 53
Is the above designed to keep diode noise out of the amp circuit? Using a single diode per rail would need a pair of those metal cased items and a large amount of capacitance (maybe also a large inductor)

You could use 2 active rectifiers and join their outputs together at the centre of the caps /zero ref point.