Highest Quality 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And now for something completely different

since you mentioned tube amplification I would suggest the following 2 way that is inside your budget...

Bastanis Dragonfly

(I am dealer for that product so you can take my suggestion for what it's worth..to be sure if you ever order them don't order them from me..I would not want to be seen pushing products I sell..but rather this is an attempt to steer you a little outside the box...so to speak)

A single driver inside your budget the New CCS FR125S
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/css.html

I have to admit that I have not heard that one..I did order them..to evealuate. But according to the folks that have tried them they are something else..but you would have to use the PP2A3 not SE 2A3.

Dave Dlugos is a fellow diy'er and moderator so again folks might think there is conflict of interest..but I gain nothing financially from that..once again an attempt to steer you a little outside the mainstream...(because there are real gems to be had outside of mainstream)

I will use them on stands.
Speakers bought for 1,200 cannot compete with speakers built for that much, and i would like to get the most out of my budget and amp. Maybe I could trade my current amp for a more powerfull one using pentodes or PSE, that is not very important.

Can you post links to projects or designs of such speakers? thanks.

conscious said:
I would agree, a-noob that an actively crossed 3 way can and should be better than an actively crossed 2 way, but I was talking about within the budget given.

Actually, this bring up the real point that I was making, which was that active speakers are so much more superior than passive. Many believe that they can overcome this by purchasing better drivers but passive crossovers always introduce problems with phase shift, delay, voltage ringing in capacitors, inductor compression, complimentary induction between inductors, compression from heat generation in resistors and capacitors, variances in component values (usually +/-10%) and decoupling of the amp from the driver (e.g. damping factor).

The fact that you can get this all very well sorted out for you in a pair of Mackies for $1200 seems like the deal of the century.

Yea, except the Mackie's are still mating an essentially 9" driver to a dome and crossing at 1800. There will be power response issues. No way around that, even with active. As to the "problems with phase shift, delay," well, the makie is just a "plain ole 4th order LR" so group delay will be the same. There is some modest truth to issues with passive components, but they can be mitigated.

I think you can build better than the Mackies for $1200. Now, if you didn't have an amp, that would be different. Since you do, you can do better. Don't get me wrong; the Mackies seem pretty nice and there's a nice bit of flexibility in the active xover.

In your room there will be substantial room gain starting somewhere between 40-60 hz. A two way 7" based system would be fine. Depending on the level of bass you're looking for you could even use a sealed configuration.

The 8545/9500 is a tried and true standard configuration. It's quite good. I did a sealed one that has impressive bass in a 3m x 3m room.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm sure there are a bunch of others. My baffle was complex, and, probably not worth the effort since it uses a 4LR. Still, it sounds very neutral.

ps sorry about the lousy pix...

454Casull said:

A 15" driver doesn't have enough cone area?

In a monopole, sure. (In a dipole, I'm not so sure.)

I think you missed the point of the comment you quoted, which was that I like well-designed 2-way speakers, but not small 2-way speakers. (Or small 1-way speakers, or small 3-way speakers, or small 10-way speakers.) The Gedlee Summa is certainly an example of a well-designed 2-way speaker, with controlled directivity in the crossover region and enough volume displacement to reproduce energy-dense passages like massed strings. Hopefully I'll get to hear a pair someday, because Dr. Geddes has managed to explain a lot of the stuff that I was hearing but never knew why.

Jim Griffin minimonitor

once again i'm here to "sponsorize" the 2 way minimonitor of Jim Griffin.
I'm using them in a room that is only larger than the 2x4mt you mention.
One more plus of these beauties is that in the case you don'like them , it would be a matter of minutes selling their components here on the forum, giving you freedom to make other attempts.
Just as side info, recently i had the opportunity to compare them both with Ensemle pa1 reference silver (no longer made but extraordinary speakers for sure) and with Sonus Faber guarneri homage, that costs 10 times what a jim griffin monitor costs).
Both the owner of these boxes where disappointed enough to admit that the Jim Griffin design was (at least in my room) superior to their speakers.
I agree BTW that if you would listen to hard rock, any compact speaker , no matter which model or brand, will be deluding.

Ciao

Paolo

p.s. still not made an attempt for a sort of dedicated SW, but one day i'll do it and let you know.

Not hard rock actually, hard jazz. Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, The Jazz Messengers, Interstellar Space and other late coltrane recordings.
Can you post a link to jim griffin's Design? Is there anyway to improve it even more? I worked hard for that money, performing in Weddings and things like that, and i want to get the most out of it.
Is there any reason to use even more expensive drivers? I think that 500$ for four drivers is more than what most ten grand speaker makers are paying for drivers, but music is my joy, playing, recording, listening. I own about thirteen hundred CDs, Cassettes (which is rarely listen to) and Records. I Went to diy because those 7,000 nis Speakers were not as good as i thought they would be.

so we have similar musical tastes.
Actually i think that jazz , along with small/medium classical ensemble are the territory where the JG minimonitor excel.
Take note that i used to have monitor audio studio 20, that now are sitting in a corner after the minimonitor has come at home.
ciao

amirmk said:
I will use them on stands.
Speakers bought for 1,200 cannot compete with speakers built for that much, and i would like to get the most out of my budget and amp. Maybe I could trade my current amp for a more powerfull one using pentodes or PSE, that is not very important.

Can you post links to projects or designs of such speakers? thanks.

They are the speakers I mentioned in my reply. Here are the links again:
http://www.audioroundtable.com/Sing...ssages/950.html
http://maxhawk.bravepages.com/diyatl/2004results.htm

Thanks
Bill

Is there any reason to use even more expensive drivers? I think that 500$ for four drivers is more than what most ten grand speaker makers are paying for drivers

I think when you start spending above that kind of money on the same size drivers, it becomes a case of diminishing returns.

TBH, if you can fit/justify 8"/10"/12" woofers in your room(the bigger, the better), I'd go with that. They'll have an order or two magnitude of lower distortion than a 6" driver and be a more dynamic for the hard hitting jazz stuff you like, generally with a less strained reproduction.

I have this interensting idea, using a three way: A 10/12" woofer combined with a 5" one and a ribbon tweeter or the seas i was talking about. I know good 10" drivers, can you tell me about 12" ones?

I see that Kim Griffin took two best places for unlimited budget, good for him. The thing is, I'm unable to find the design, only pictures of the finished product.

Jordan JX92S with A-C G2si Ribbon Mini-monitor Design

Several of you have asked about my Jordan JX92S with the Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon speaker design. Until recently a pdf file of this design was available from Bob Reimer's Creative Sound Solutions site (www.creativesound.ca). Recently, the JX92S drivers are no longer available from CSS and Bob has removed the link to pdf file. If you wish to have the design for my speaker, please contact me directly and I'll send you details (Microsoft Word file). I'll also try to have CSS repost thier link to the pdf file.

Jim

If you want expensive 2 way diy, check out the A4 monitor.
I have built box similar to the A4 and uses the Scan Speak Revalator drivers (9700+8531) instead of the 9800 in A4. Then I use the cap-less AR-SXO.
I don't recommand this for very high power use but for small room, but the sound is very very good.

To put it in prespective, it is a couple of notches above the JX92s box that I also have. But then for the cost of the drivers, it better be.

http://www.audiocomponents.nl/speakers/scanspeak/reference/scanspeak-reference_eng.htm

http://www.acoustic-reality.com/ar-sxo.htm

zaphaudio.com's L18 design. If you'd like you can buy the cabinets at Partsexpress, and just build the holes for the speakers......really good quality stuff for $400 bucks.

or buy a kit from Madisound.com using Seas Excel Speakers.

or the creativesound.ca stuff like mentioned. although the Exodus audio stuff they sell perhaps has not been said.

or Ellisaudio.com has a nice kit

Selahaudio.com

northcreekmusic.com has some nice sets also.

or check out audiocircle.com you can talk to folk that have purchased speakers like what you've been looking for.

this site helps. but thats some more help.

I've yet to decide on the design and drivers, I Like the Accutons.
The Tweeter i like is the C24-6 but i have trouble choosing the mid woofer. Accutons are both very expensive and are only about 86dB's. Choosing the even better 23 tweeter with 89dB's would make my 2A3s useless. Do you have any ideas about an efficent 7-10" woofer?

I have seen the mackie hr824's mentioned here but it seems that you guys have forgotten to mention the 6" passive radiator that is part of the speaker. If anyone is considering building a DIY two way they should deffinately take the time to listen to these speakers if only to use as a refrence point for trying to make something better.

If you are looking to make something better why not design a two way that you can latter add dual bass enclsures as stands to make a full range system.

My personal recomendation for drivers would be a pair of accuton or seas exel 6-8" midbasses with a large ribbon tweeter although a good quality dome would work just as well. I would also go with a sealed enclosure and try to get the best sound possible rather then try to get low bass out of a two way. I would then later add a pair of front firing sub enclosures that would possibly be ported into the floor.

You mean like this?

This is what I ended up with when searching for a decent quality 2-way.

Seas W21 and Stage Accompany 8525, crossed at 1600 Hz.
Closed box.

Cheers,
Johan

Attachments

• 152_5221 kl.jpg
    152_5221 kl.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 729
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.