• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High-End Tube preamp with ECC88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you need 1Vrms output, I would suggest this tiny modification to your schematic to give you even less distortion. Yes, you can also use DC on the heater but the improvement will be marginal. It will also be much less sensitive to the choice of tube (type and manufacturer).

Cheers,
Martin ;)

Attachments

• passive.jpg
    passive.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 729
If you have any suggestions about some changes to the schematic go ahead!

We already told you so many times the different things that are wrong with this schematic. If you are happy with the sound from this circuit, that is good for you. But fundamentally there are faults with the design that you have been pointed out to you and which you choose to ignore. That's your decision, but do not post it claiming that it is good. It isn't.

We already told you so many times the different things that are wrong with this schematic. If you are happy with the sound from this circuit, that is good for you. But fundamentally there are faults with the design that you have been pointed out to you and which you choose to ignore. That's your decision, but do not post it claiming that it is good. It isn't.
So tell me what is wrong with this preamp, and if you are able to give a better schematic for tube preamplifier or line-stage.
thank you!:hohoho:

If you need 1Vrms output, I would suggest this tiny modification to your schematic to give you even less distortion. Yes, you can also use DC on the heater but the improvement will be marginal. It will also be much less sensitive to the choice of tube (type and manufacturer).

Cheers,
Martin ;)
Hi,:hohoho:
To be more precise in the way this tube pre-amp with ECC88 measurements were made with a device CLIO with the input signal of 1V amplitude sine wave of 1027Hz at the 2 harmonic is 0.38%, and 3 harmonic is only 0.032!!:hphones::up:
Cheers!:cheers:

Last edited:
I agree - thats a terrible design - unless you want high distortion.
The poster has been pointed to a large number of better performance and highly respected times and they keep ignoring them in favour of this type of dross.
This thread is very tedious.

Shoog

Last edited:
Everybody builds their own equipment. Each one sounds different. We all have a different ear for sound quality. I like all the equipment made on diy audio. It is fun to watch and analyze them all. I have no critical comments about this preamp.
The e88cc is a very nice tube for audio use. There are a lot of different brands of this tube, and they all sound different. Their characteristics are all a bit different.
The power supply is a classic one, it works. The heater supply is good. It is about 60 percent perfected. Learning how to get the next 40 percent is the fun part. It is the fact that the circuits will never be perfect that keeps us dreaming. Striving for perfection. MIke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.