High End Tone Control

Joined 2004
Paid Member
As I keep reading, I ran across two interesting sites. With apologies if you are already familiar with them:

Class A Analog EQ listening tests... - SH Forums, where Steve Hoffman shares his preferences in post #23, and

Classic Schematics, where there are several cool schematics for equalizers. Note the EAR 825 tube equalizer, and the Langevin EQ251A Passive, which I read is supposedly close to the old Universal 500-A EQ. Sowter still sells the inductors for some of the Gyraf and Pultec circuits.

There is one more request I would like to make, if I may, which is a healthy voltage swing at the output or the equalizer. My power amps are buffers (F4s) and it would be great if the equalizer could put out in the order of +/- 20 volts. My current preamp can feed it a comparable input voltage, so it is more voltage swing than gain I would seek.

Pierre

Hi,

You might want to check the Mouser price just to be sure that's accurate.

I don't need to. The parts are now discontinued and very expensive (and they have no cheap replacements) but they where never cheap, due the large die needed and the relative low volumes.

Project 75? Heck no! There's so much going on with it that its more of a sound processor and it loses the #1 feature of the palette. . . an eq with un-colored rendering. So, the functional clone is dysfunctional. Well, let's not do that.

Well, it uses parallel filters and in the end is not much more complex fundamentally than the NTI EQ3.

It seems that we've successfully narrowed the options down to 2:
Nite3d and East German EQ.

I would suggest the EQ3 is for people who have to have Op-Amp's in their gear as they are not happy otherwise. As a project it is fully documented and your can of course alter the bands frequencies as needed. The patent that describes the operation is US Patent 5805716, easily accessed via (for example) pat2pdf.org.

The East German EQ is a bit more extreme minimilast, but over 20 years after discontinuation still has many fans over the more common Op-Amp Graves.

Now, on the East German EQ, I really like the 3 simple transistors and the simplicity of the passive circuits as well. The inductors have me bluffed but I think that a quick briefing on where to buy them or what to do for them would succeed.

Inductors can be found at Mouser et al, quite a wide range. The very large values where always custom made, however you can use a circuit called a Gyrator (in the minimum one Transistor/Fet, three resistors and one cap) to make a "virtual" Inductor. It is covered in Post # 18 in thishere thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/194119-high-end-tone-control.html#post2665167

On the Nite3d is where I'd like to see some Class A bias. One wouldn't want to crank up the air control with crossover distortion present. I don't really care what sort of op-amp's you'd pick for this, but discrete might be and stay more specific.

How about you get some schematic drawing software and start on the re-work of the Nite EQ3D for "audiophile" use? It seems to have most of what you desire and can be made with more bands and so on.

Which one of the remaining two options do you like the best for the new 6 band tone amp, East German EQ or Nite3d?

My personal choice is in the Poll in the thread on building the thing (where this post should have been).

Software.

If I was to build a hardware unit, a variation of the East German EQ with tubes for signal path and either all inductors or mostly real inductors. Probably using some "Guru" Tubes that are hard to get and really expensive (but of which i have a stash), all 24-Pole stepped switches and output transformer.

For the project thread I'll probably propose a Fet Based version first, in the worst case (all virtual inductors - the PCB would be made to offer a choice between real inductors and Fet based gyrators) it would need 9pcs 2SK170/LSK170 per channel, use 10K linear potentiometers (PCB capable of holding Alps Blue) and split rails. For those who prefer tubes I'd include a section on how to replace some of the Solid State stuff with tubes.

Maybe it is time for some fun? Perhaps we could have a look and a build of an inexpensive, uncomplicated small scale 3 band version of each? The physical units can be compared head to head, which could be fun.

Sure, have fun. I made those comparisons in the 1980's and I would not spend time on messing with the Op-Amp version myself, but "De gustibus non disputandum est".

Ciao T

Hi,

Don't discount 'Project 75'. I only looked at it a few minutes ago. I had not realized that it was a 'constant Q' implementation. Constant Q filters can sound very good when used in applications like the one we are describing here.

Yet all the various EQ's that are (justly) legendary for sound quality under equalisation are not constant Q.

Constant Q makes sense from a technical viewpoint if we want to make sure the curve on the face of a graphic EQ resembles accurately the actual electrical equalisation, but has little advantage otherwise.

I would suggest that for the kind of EQ the Palette represents it is actually a drawback. If Bandwidth is retained but the gain varies the resulting EQ curves have a much better integration between bands.

It really depends on the application which is better. I would suggest constant Q for "technical EQ" (1/6th octave for speaker system EQ for example) and variable Q for "creative EQ" like mastering/re-mastering. The jobs are very different.

Ciao T

Hi,

Luxman L550, a pure class A amp has tone control with selectable bass and treble frequencies.

This uses a straightforward active Baxandall design, discrete circuits (non-op-amp style) for the actives. Nothing unusual.

I like what Luxman did in the Avance Z502 and the C-02 Preamps, where no additional circuitry (apart from the tone filters) are needed and they also featured selectable turnover frequencies.

Ciao T

Hi,

As I keep reading, I ran across two interesting sites. With apologies if you are already familiar with them:

Class A Analog EQ listening tests... - SH Forums, where Steve Hoffman shares his preferences in post #23,

Interesting that the old Sphere based EQ does best. Pretty generic circuitry, no surprises with Chandler as #2 and Manley as # 3 and while Avalon is rather good I'm not surprised in a blind preference test it ended up last.

There is one more request I would like to make, if I may, which is a healthy voltage swing at the output or the equalizer.

This goes against simplicity. The EQ section will be unity gain aimed at -10dBV "0dBVU" levels.

My power amps are buffers (F4s) and it would be great if the equalizer could put out in the order of +/- 20 volts. My current preamp can feed it a comparable input voltage, so it is more voltage swing than gain I would seek.

Given that is a totally outlandish requirements for line-level electronics I'm not even going to think about it, sorry. Add a suitable linestage after the EQ with gain and enough output swing.

Ciao T

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Given that is a totally outlandish requirements for line-level electronics I'm not even going to think about it, sorry. Add a suitable linestage after the EQ with gain and enough output swing.
Note that Tim de Paravicini designs his EQs with at least 28 dB / 25 volts output. Pultec and the EAR EQ's - Gearslutz.com. Granted, his are for mastering applications.

Since this is of little interest to you, I can put the EQ in a tape loop or add voltage gain in a separate stage.

The East German EQ is a bit more extreme minimalist, but over 20 years after discontinuation still has many fans. . . I'll probably propose a Fet Based version first. . .all virtual inductors. . .use 10K linear potentiometers. . .and split rails.

That is an excellent idea! A project doable without expensive/discontinued parts? Nice!! Are you going to use the 6 Palette controls?

Hi,

Note that Tim de Paravicini designs his EQs with at least 28 dB / 25 volts output.

This is called "headroom" and Tim's EQ's are for studio systems, that is +6dBU...

Since this is of little interest to you, I can put the EQ in a tape loop or add voltage gain in a separate stage.

This would be a good choice.

Ciao T

Hi,

Back in East Germany one of the products we had was a graphic 10-Band Equaliser, fully discrete and with only 3 Transistors per channel. This EQ is still justly famous and more than 20 Years after it ceased production is greatly sought after.

So everything should be as simple as possible but no simpler.

Ciao T

PS, attached is the 9-band version of the east german EQ I referenced above... It should be noted also that this EQ is "zero feedback as well, not just minimal and LC based...

The inductors for the lower bands may be replaced by Gyrators (the HF ones are available) and of course the old Bipolar transistors (read BC for SC) can be in part at least replaced by J-Fets.

QUOTE]

Hello Thorsten

About the east german EQ.

The output seem to go to another circuit: "Zum T301, left and Zum T401, right"

Is it mean that this east german EQ need an output buffer ?

I presume that L202...L210 value are in micro-henry ?

Thank you

Bye

Gaetan

Hi,

The output seem to go to another circuit: "Zum T301, left and Zum T401, right"

Is it mean that this east german EQ need an output buffer ?

No, it has a buffer. This was the same circuit also sold as a standalone EQ but integrated into a Mixing Desk. This excerpt is from the mixing desk, as I could not find the one for the standalone one, they used the same PCB, the standalone one had also a 32Hz band.

Incidentally, I also owned this precise mixing desk, the stand alone EQ and so on.

I presume that L202...L210 value are in micro-henry ?

They are in mH, it says on the schematic.

Ciao T

Hi,

No, it has a buffer. This was the same circuit also sold as a standalone EQ but integrated into a Mixing Desk. This excerpt is from the mixing desk, as I could not find the one for the standalone one, they used the same PCB, the standalone one had also a 32Hz band.

Incidentally, I also owned this precise mixing desk, the stand alone EQ and so on.

They are in mH, it says on the schematic.

Ciao T

Hello Thorsten

Milihenry, on the schematic; 63hz would use a 1400 milihenry coil, quite big coil value.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Hi,

FWIW if i was making a tone control to account for various factors, e.g.
different old RIAA standards then I'd consider building it as a "Shuffler".

Basically at the input you add and substract the two channels, then EQ
them, and then at the output you add and subtract those two channels
again to restore left and right.

Two effects : One, the EQ of the mono signal of both channels will
exactly match. Two, by varying the gain of the sum and difference
channels before re-addition and re-subtraction you can vary the
effective stereo width, just like the tone controls, its the fact you
can make minor adjustments allows for possible improvements.

So it gives you an extra flexibility, and at the same time improves
channel matching of the EQ, what's not to like about the schema ?

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

FWIW if i was making a tone control to account for various factors, e.g. different old RIAA standards

There is only one RIAA standard, the other LP EQ's are not RIAA.

then I'd consider building it as a "Shuffler".

Basically at the input you add and substract the two channels, then EQ
them, and then at the output you add and subtract those two channels
again to restore left and right.

You might find that the Mono only EQ creates funky sounds when the Mono-signal is subject to substantial frequency dependent phases shifts, while the difference signal is not.

Ciao T

There is only one RIAA standard, the other LP EQ's are not RIAA.
Ciao T

That doesn't mean they don't exist, or that RIAA is always accurate.

You might find that the Mono only EQ creates funky sounds when the Mono-signal is
subject to substantial frequency dependent phases shifts, while the difference signal is not.
Ciao T

I did not suggest Mono only signal EQ at all. You could "shuffle" post
EQ but then you'd be chucking away the better channel matching.
Its a better way of using two channel EQ and in this case dual
channel pots are mandatory, no-one would be able to set the
difference channel pots intuitively, and that is not the intention.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

That doesn't mean they don't exist, or that RIAA is always accurate.

Not what I meant. I know how many LP EQ Curves are documented. Almost all are designed into the AMR Phonostage (by moi), but they are NOT RIAA curves. RIAA is unambigously defined with turnovers of 50, 500 and 2122Hz. Others cannot be called RIAA EQ, but need to be called suitable identifications, e.g. Decca or Columbia.

I know some people use RIAA and "LP EQ" as the same, but they are not, RIAA is the bunch who likes to sue their paying customers for more money, who also proposed the RCA Orthophonic EQ for adoption by the American Recording Industry in 1953...

I did not suggest Mono only signal EQ at all. You could "shuffle" post EQ but then you'd be chucking away the better channel matching.

Ah, I misunderstood. If you EQ both Mono and difference, yes that will work.

BTW, Spatial controls are possible without first creating M & S and then re-mixing them...

Ciao T

BTW, Spatial controls are possible without first creating M & S and then re-mixing them...

Ciao T

Hi,

Maybe, but it has to be the same principle, for headphones its frequency
selective. Anyway the point is not so much the spatial control, its the
arrangement guarantees perfect channel matching, for normal stereo.
(Differences in the two EQ channels are replicated in both channels as
differences in the EQ applied to the "stereo" part as opposed to "mono").

Whats not to like about that ? (As well as being able to tweak width ?)

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

Maybe, but it has to be the same principle, for headphones its frequency selective.

It does not use M/S as such. Stereo Width control was implemented widely in portable gear without using M/S.

Anyway the point is not so much the spatial control, its the arrangement guarantees perfect channel matching,

But may screw up the stereo image otherwise...

Whats not to like about that ? (As well as being able to tweak width ?)

All the unnecessary extra circuit is something I personally do not like. High Quality Potentiometers worth using usually track very well, if using stepped controls for tone (which has much to recommend it) tracking si down to what tolerance resistors you buy.

It seems we have very different goals. Mine is a maximum of sound quality both with and without tone controls, which in my personal experience precludes much added circuirt. Even adding an active Baxandal FUBAR's sound quality.

Ciao T