• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High-end Class A valve amplifiers will be illegal in USA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tim__x said:
[Canadian tar sands are already viable, not just viable, but used.

Back when i was in high school my dad was involved in the periphery of the tar sands development. With gas at 25 cents an imperial gallon it was struggling to be viable. With 35 years of technological development and petrol running >$5 / gallon production is booming and anyone that shows up in the Fort McMurray area gets a well paying job. Alberta has paid off their debt and is running huge surpluses.

dave

Christer said:

Since oil deal are basically always done in dollars, we ought to get more oil for our money, when the dollar gets weaker, not the other way around, or...? Guess I'll never understand economics. There is something fundamentally wrong with that area. :)

Some experts also think think that we lose and you gain from the fact that oil deals are done in dollars, which is one of the reasons there are attempts to also do oil deals in Euro. I never understood their explanation, though.

Not to get political, but I read an article a few years back that claimed Iraq had been selling oil to France paid for with Euros. The US feared an economy-devastating cash-in on their currency and... well, you know.

Max

You know there are much more healthy products than gasoline for this job. Citrus solvent, for one. Yes, it is more money, but I think not getting cancer is probably worth the extra few quid. And you shouldn't need nearly a gallon for a year's use.

That was my thought exactly. Gasoline fumes are very bad for health. I'd hate to see EC8010 slip to EC8009, then EC8008...

I have followed this thread all from the start, and I really wonder if you might have accidentally posted in the wrong thread. I think that until your post, people have been very careful not go inte politics in the sense of countries bashing each other. Most have tried to stick to facts or opinions which are not related to any particular country. I don't know how you could read anything more into that. But yes, there has been a number of people complaining about american lifestyle.

My post only refers back to the original post (the very first one). I sometimes come in a little late, and my post may have worked better had it been the second one. There is a certain arrogance on the part of the EU in enacting these kind of laws. I meant no disrespect to any of the individual people posting on this thread.

I'm Sorry,
John

jlsem said:

My post only refers back to the original post (the very first one). I sometimes come in a little late, and my post may have worked better had it been the second one. There is a certain arrogance on the part of the EU in enacting these kind of laws. I meant no disrespect to any of the individual people posting on this thread.

I'm Sorry,
John

No problem John, I obviously misunderstood you, and got a bit upset since I think this thread has worked very well balancing on the thin borderline between almost politics and politics, wtihout the mandatory bashing of each others that took place in the now wisely forbidden threads about politics.

I agree the EU sometimes goes to far in their legislations, and some regulations are plain stupid, but often they do it for a good reason. We do care a little bit more about the envoronment here, or maybe we rather do it in a different way. I think you can find similar regulations in the US, like the very tough pollution regulations for cars in California, which the European car manufacturers must adhere to in order to export cars. Sometimes one may rightfully ask if certain regulations aren't really rather about protectionism, but once again, one can ask that about regulations in the US too. Nobody really embraces the free global market economy unreservedly. In the end both the USA and the EU look after their own house first.

Either way... I think lead free solder in electronics is fairly messed up... I really hope we don't adopt it here. And I suspect the motivations behind it all are less than purely environmental.

To me it parallels the differences in the way Mrs. poo and myself raise kids.

I say, "The kids keep throwing pizza at the ceiling fan"

She says, "No more pizza"

I say, "No more kids"

I don't see why we can't dispose of electronics responsibly.

:xeye:

I am a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to solder. I'm all for RoHS. Over time we'll develop better alternatives for soldering. We really do need to eliminate toxic heavy metals from our environment. However, for my relatively minuscule “hobby” needs, I've laid in a lifetime stock of leaded solders: a number of pound rolls of the usual 63/37 eutectic mix, a number of pound rolls of the good 2% silver stuff, and some Wonder Solder (my favorite). Solder rolls last a pretty long time; so it’s not hard to get enough now to last until you meet your maker (hopefully not due to lead poisoning). I hope everyone here is cautious about washing hands after using solder. I am careful not to eat or to touch my mouth when I’ve been handling solder. Until I wash my hands thoroughly, twice. Some of the assembly people at my old company used thin cotton gloves, but that doesn’t work for me. So I’m future ready. Now if I could only see those damned SMD parts!

Re: Re: Beware- The 'energy' future in the US

amperex said:

On our farm we heat with wood right now. $400 a year heating costs in northern MI is dirt cheap. However, I believe burning wood will be illegal in the future.

Christer said:

Wood as fuel is very controversial. .....

Here in Norway heating with wood and especially pellets is encouraged...but only if you are using modern efficient wood or pellet stoves ... strange that this is so different in Norway and Sweden...and the US.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.