• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High-end Class A valve amplifiers will be illegal in USA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems that SUV's also require the driver to maintain 24/7 cellular contact with somebody. There's an intersection north of here... at least once a month somebody is mangled or killed. SUV/cell-phone/real-estate people are nearly always at fault.

:rolleyes:

PS. The intersection now has 24/7 video cameras rolling...

SY said:
You don't understand. Many people require the SUV for the capacity to carry their egos.

SY - have you seen the ad campaign by VW that includes "the Passat, lowest Ego emmissions of any German made vehicle" (or does this campain run only this side of the border?

why do you drive an overpriced/overpowered/inefficient vehicle?

"I make more money than you"
"cause my daddy didn't hug me"
"so men will notice me"
"I'm compensating for my shortcomings"

DigitalJunkie said:
:mad:

Don't get me started on the Idiots with Cellphones.
It's nearly a *Daily* event,that I neary get into an accident with one of these ****** BOZO's!

I'm planning on building a cellphone jammer for my car.
Frankly,I don't freaking care if it's illegal - this is BS. These morons are gonna kill somebody,and i'd prefer it not be me.

/end rant. :dodgy:

Actually, several european countries has banned the use of cell phones when driving. Strangely enough, it hasn't come to that in Sweden, where we usually care a lot about traffic safety. Well, maybe it is not so surprising, we do after all have one of the biggest companies manufacturing cell phones. ;)

I dont really worry about small scale mercury pollution when I have 3 local coal power plants with state of the 1950s art pollution control spewing the stuff out by the ton.

3 other local plants have more modern setups and combined spew out the same as 1 of the above.

I dont recommend eating much fish caught in this state.

Al Gore...............No,

President Jimmy Carter stated we need to get more energy efficient and get off of foreign oil dependence. He was laughed at by the 'oil mongers' of the day. The US was quite ignorant back then & still way behind modern thinking today. And, the oil boys have no technical solution for affordable future energy. Like a ***** on the street they only care about todays business as usual.

As for coal buring plants to be replaced, the entire state of Minnosota would be required for wind generation for a 15-20% increase in electric capacity. If the USA built as many nuclear plants as capacity is capable of to perform such, at todays energy use levels, the nuclear solution is simply impossible to meet the future demand.

So, I ask what is the energy solution? Mass transit, revival of rail cargo service, 40-60 MPG autos & ultra efficient homes. As for the huge industrial energy use in the US, I have no idea how they will become more efficient.

And, if the rest of the world cares, think again. They would welcome a 'level energy use' playing field in the manufacturing sector.

Well, enough oif this. This is an audio forum.

I love all of the armchair Presidents on this forum. Most people spend more on airconditioning than they do on gasoline. I propose thermostats be kept no lower than 80 degrees F in the summertime and no higher than 50 degrees in the winter.

We lost our opportunity to make electricity "too cheap to meter" to environmentalists and other leftists in the 70's.

As for Europeans, we already know you are better and smarter than we, so we don't need to be reminded on this forum. And as for the lead and mercury contamination problem in the EU, most of the lead and mercury in the soil over there is probably left over from your ridiculous wars of the last century, not from solder in electronic equipment. As I recall, Germany used up a decade's worth of lead production and God knows how much mercury firing billions of bullets at their "enemies".

John

jlsem said:

As for Europeans, we already know you are better and smarter than we, so we don't need to be reminded on this forum. And as for the lead and mercury contamination problem in the EU, most of the lead and mercury in the soil over there is probably left over from your ridiculous wars of the last century, not from solder in electronic equipment. As I recall, Germany used up a decade's worth of lead production and God knows how much mercury firing billions of bullets at their "enemies".

I have followed this thread all from the start, and I really wonder if you might have accidentally posted in the wrong thread. I think that until your post, people have been very careful not go inte politics in the sense of countries bashing each other. Most have tried to stick to facts or opinions which are not related to any particular country. I don't know how you could read anything more into that. But yes, there has been a number of people complaining about american lifestyle. Did you check where they come from? Last time I checked the map places like Arizona, Florida and Noth Carolina were still on your side of the Atlantic. Sorry for showing of my superior European skill in american geography. ;)

(Considering how you have interpreted the rest of the thread, I'd better point out explicitly that my last sentence above was a joke.)

Here are my ideas on how to do class A tube amps with good efficiency:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=871030#post871030

The solid state amp portion could be class AB or class D and would be set up to do say 95% of the output voltage waveform. The remaining 5% tube amp portion runs in class A and puts on the final finishing touch to the voltage waveform. Notice it has the NFB from the final output. The SS amp. has NFB from only its own output portion. The tube amp crafts the final waveform.

The tube amp could be either P-P or SET, but does require global feedback in order to completely craft the output waveform. (no NFB, and you will just get the sum of the two amps for output)

One could use inverse triode feedback to make a P-P amp act like a SET amp. In fact, one could use inverse triode feedback on the SS amp too. Many possibilities here.

A note about implementation, the output xfmr secondary for the tube portion will not be 8 Ohm (much lower), even though the final output may be for 8 Ohm. See later derivation of xfmr Zout in the same thread.

Inverse triode feedback scheme here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=875795#post875795

There is also ANOTHER way to do an efficient composite amplifier. This would involve using a conventional tube amp as a voltage output amplifier and a SS current output amplifier (class AB or D, collector or drain output for hi Z) would be connected in parallel at the load. The current output amplifier is configured to try and zero out any current draw from the voltage amp via its NFB network (current sense resistor in the tube amp secondary return).

The voltage amp then sees a very high output impedance for its effective load since it nevers sees much load current. The voltage amp still sets the output voltage however and so determines the sound. This method would be suitable for using a non NFB SET tube amp, and should even improve its sound due to the light loading.

Although this could be done using a full SS current amplifier design, a simpler hybrid output scheme is possible as well. One just uses a partial CFB output xfmr design for the tube amp and the bottom end of the CFB winding(s) get connected to a bipolar transistor base instead of ground. The bipolar trans. multiplies the CFB current by some Beta factor and its emitter current gets ported to the load. This approach is more like the "current dumping amplifier" idea, but is closely related to the above. It does have to operate fully in class A this way however, so no significant energy savings this way. But its an interesting hybrid approach instead of the usual boring SS totem pole glued onto a tube preamp.

One more thought.
The first series amplifier approach above can also be simplified into an interesting hybrid scheme. Instead of a whole separate SS amp, just tap off a voltage signal from the tube amp somewhere with an appropriate voltage swing, and run it through a MosFet class AB totem pole output stage (or even a SS circlotron output stage).
The tube amp then still retains its normal structure with class A output(s) and output xfmr (secondary still series connected) and uses the global NFB the same way as shown.

This looks quite attactive to me. I'll have to add it onto my loooong list of things to build and try out.

Don

EC8010 said:
I don't really know, I only buy a gallon a year (for cleaning bicycle chains), so I don't pay close attention to the price.

You know there are much more healthy products than gasoline for this job. Citrus solvent, for one. Yes, it is more money, but I think not getting cancer is probably worth the extra few quid. And you shouldn't need nearly a gallon for a year's use.

Ok, now back to catching up with this thread.

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.