Hifimediy ES9023+TE7022 24/96 USB Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thank you. I did'nt know your isolator board required 8vdc. Probably a 7805 there.
LT1963 is LDO. It works with as low as 340mV drop , and even less for low current :)
According to datasheet, ADUM4160 only needs 8mA. not much!

With the excellent onboard LT1763 reg, a very good pre-reg is not needed. A simple 7805 would do.
If better specs are needed, look for a regulator with best ripple rejection at low freq. LT1963 is not cheap and optimized for fast transient response which is not required in it's pre-reg role here. It's too good for the job. If you want to pay that price, go for LT1086 instead.

I'll build a simple pre-reg for UAE23+. Depending on how easy it is to short onboard rectifier, either provide 6Vdc to the board terminal or short the rectifier and provide 5Vdc directly to LT1763.
Don't know yet which regulator I will use as pre-reg.

Hifimediy ES9023 dac works with MK808 android PC!!!!!!

Out of curiosity I just plugged the dac into my MK808 running Finless 1.5a firmware - the dac was immediately recognised and sounds great with 16/44.1 material.

MK808 Dual Core Android 4.1 Jelly Bean TV BOX RK3066 Cortex-A9 Mini PC Stick Support Skype Live Chat - GeekBuying.com

MK808 Android mini TV Player - Finless 1.5A Custom ROM

I'm running XBMC media player for android and have a ton of music stored on a NAS, so all in all I have a great wireless music server with ES9023 dac that cost me about £80!!!!!!!

There is some slight background noise (not audible during playback) but I haven't yet optimised the system PSUs nor tried the ADUM4160 shunt reg board.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 735
adum4160 results

tonight i attempted (and succeeded!) putting together my first smd kit, the circuits@home adum4160 :D
this improved the results from stock by a significant amount, -7.8dB noise (also using ferrite + linear/lt1763 5v)
my results aren't very precise due to the quality of my equipment, but they are probably ballpark figures.
attached are some pics of the results and of the test setup.
-matt

Attachments

• results.jpg
    results.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 633
  • sidebyside.jpg
    sidebyside.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 628
  • adum4160-setup.jpg
    adum4160-setup.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 272
Answering my own question - Found out that in the ebay listing for the UAE23 they did provide links to the recommended TeraLink-X2 drivers.
So I've had this recommended TeraLink-X2 driver on my Win7 64bit laptop for a few days and it seems unstable. After some time it starts producing heavy audio distortion and messes up playback (e.g. video playback starts skipping). Then it usually starts hogging the CPU at almost 100% and the computer has to be rebooted.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

I don't recall having these issues with the default Windows driver. So I've now uninstalled the TeraLink-X2 driver and reverted to the default Windows driver with no ASIO support.

hello everyone

I received the good dac hiifimediy yesterday and I'm pretty enerve, let me explain.

j jriver uses version 18, with a laptop and connected to the pc and dac and my dock jbl on beat extrem (on the entry in line 15 kohms).
J have downloaded the driver hifimediy 64 bit.
j have configured WASAPI event style on jriver.

result, I have small sizzling as little noise when I put the strongest on the dock, as it becomes saturated, I have the impression also that I can not put too much on his jriver, j stops at 80%, as this increases the crackling.

I put the buffer from 100 to 250 ms to see but nothing change.

The sound in this context is not genial, generally at moderate volume I find it a bit too round and too much sharp in the same time, it is strange.

. I precise that I already dac in the poppulse super pro 707 and tubemagic maverick d1.

if someone could help me understand what is happening

Do you think the 15 kohm input of the line in (jack) of tjbl dock disturbs the dac.
Or it is a problem jriver configuration, or driver hifimediy

thank you in advance

Last edited:
Just figured I'd add my infos to the thread for all those that need/want it.

I ordered mine from the US warehouse(Oregon) I live in Oregon and received in in two days flat.

I'm using mine on Windows 8 HTPC with FLAC through Foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin, and with Spotify Premium.

Installation was painless. Windows 8 recognized immediately and I was able to change it to the default output device. I used stock drivers.

Sounds great to me, but its my first dedicated DAC, so I don't have a ton of reference to compare it too... Its definitely the best my digital sources have ever sounded, I don't even own a CD player anymore, so I cant compare it to that.

I do listen to Vinyl still, and prefer the sound of vinyl to the digital source, even with the DAC, but that's a whole other story.

All in all, for 50$ it seems like a fantastic value.

UAE23 ...some noise

I am not sure I read you right, but with the UAE23 I have had to keep main Windows Mixer volume at around 65%. I have been meaning to reverse engineer the UAE23 and see if it uses a resistor on the ES9023 pin 6 to ground, somewhere in the 118K--220K range; I think that impacts this volume stuff, though I am NOT positive. This is referred to on pg 7 of the engineering spec sheet and again in some graphs on pg 10, and are dependant on the Vcc chose for the DAC too, 3.6 vs 3.3V [stock UAE23 is 3.3V at the DAC, so they {ESS} show 220K there to ground.] ODAC [a similar DAC product that runs the ES9023 at 3.6V] uses ~118K and 22uF and 100nF in parallel all to ground from pin#6 on Es9023 . SO my guess is the UAE23 may not have a R to ground there? [I have to check] and, in general, I have had to run UAE23 at less than full digital VOL levels to avoid distortion and clipping [a DAC clipping sounds realllly BAD]. Using a USB isolator also lowers the noise floor, I use the Opticis m2-100-03 a fiber optic based isolator. UAE23+ model HAS a USB isolator, I doubt that is shipping from the USA site "yet" but should be in a few weeks I'd bet.

hello everyone

I received the good dac hiifimediy yesterday and I'm pretty enerve, let me explain.

j jriver uses version 18, with a laptop and connected to the pc and dac and my dock jbl on beat extrem (on the entry in line 15 kohms).
J have downloaded the driver hifimediy 64 bit.
j have configured WASAPI event style on jriver.

result, I have small sizzling as little noise when I put the strongest on the dock, as it becomes saturated, I have the impression also that I can not put too much on his jriver, j stops at 80%, as this increases the crackling.

I put the buffer from 100 to 250 ms to see but nothing change.

The sound in this context is not genial, generally at moderate volume I find it a bit too round and too much sharp in the same time, it is strange.

. I precise that I already dac in the poppulse super pro 707 and tubemagic maverick d1.

if someone could help me understand what is happening

Do you think the 15 kohm input of the line in (jack) of tjbl dock disturbs the dac.
Or it is a problem jriver configuration, or driver hifimediy

thank you in advance

crackle

yep, but with Windows Mixer volume at around 65% you lose informations.
buy a usb isolator still costing the money and I'm not sure all the parasites disappear.
Don t you think that 15 kohm of the in line of the dock disturbs uae23

The ES9023 has a buffer at it's output, 15K would normally be "I think" "an easy load". I modded another UAE23 this evening, it too crackles if I have the master gain at over ~65% or so in the Jriver mixer -- I am feeding this at 24/96. I doubt anything done after the DAC would help. The USB isolator DOES lower the noise_floor, at least my fiber optic ones do.

The DAC is still open//raw so I will go back to the bench and see if there is anything else I can do, I probably did not add a bypass cap to the charge-pump cap yet, things like that. I DID add the resistor at Pin 6 ES9023 to ground, I am running the TE7022L with a Fox924B TCXO [Pin#37]. And the DAC regulator is a dedicated TPS79633. If I mod another one I'll try 3.6Vdac.
I have an Oscon cap at the input +5 which comes from my USB isolator.
I'm about to put this in a case with RCA jacks.

j ask the question to hifimediy, they told me :

"You could add an external potmeter to reduce the gain. Or a single resistor. Or install a resistor R3 on the DAC. The value needed is not mentioned in es9023 datasheet, so you would have to experiment to find a good value."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.