Hi efficiency 8 inch midrange - recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fostex FF225K (119,00 €) is one of the best , low power dought at 30W(/100W) 96dB. More Hi-fi than PA.

Volt Ps8/151 bass-midrange 150W 96dB PA range
Volt BM220.8 bass 150W 88dB studio range

Precision Devices PD.8BM20 200W 92dB Mid range

SEAS CA22RNY (H1471) 90W 91dB

Beyma 8G40 250W 95dB

Might wanna consider beaming at the upper end with an 8" driver unless directivity is the goal. Even 6.5" is pushing it IMO. A pair of 5" drivers might be better suited to the task....depending on what the task is. B&C has a great 6.5" Pro mid with 95db sensitivity that would work in the FR range you specified and it's only $70 with pretty low HD and very high power handling.

http://zaphaudio.com/6.5test/compare.html

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
mayhem13 said:

A pair of 5" drivers might be better suited to the task....depending on what the task is.

But double mids may have lobing issues, if crossed high

With high efficient drivers you could choose a midwoofer, but it wont do he highs
Or you could choose a mid, but it wont do the lows

I dont know why, but Beta-8A seem to cut it where all other fails :confused: if company specs are to be trusted

mayhem13 said:
Might wanna consider beaming at the upper end with an 8" driver unless directivity is the goal. Even 6.5" is pushing it IMO. A pair of 5" drivers might be better suited to the task....depending on what the task is. B&C has a great 6.5" Pro mid with 95db sensitivity that would work in the FR range you specified and it's only $70 with pretty low HD and very high power handling.

http://zaphaudio.com/6.5test/compare.html

Directivity is a goal yes. Ill be using a 80 degree horn, so it will be crossed around 1900 hz.

That B&C seems interesting! Good sensitivity and smooth rolloff.

Attachments

• b&c 6md38-8.gif
    b&c 6md38-8.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,894
Re: Re: Hi efficiency 8 inch midrange - recommendations?

Inductor said:

That's not good because of Fs (is) too close, (that) you don't want.

Could you elaborate a bit? I thought the only problem with running a driver below fs is that its gonna have a hard time getting any output.

Brett said:
18Sound 8NMB420

This one seems tempting. Is it as good as the B&C I wonder?

The peak at 5khz is negligable, and a fair tradeoff for what you get otherwise. Given an LR4 at 2.5khz you'd never be able to isolate it during listening.

There's plenty of great 6.5" mids in the Pro audio world but if efficiency isn't the goal i'd go 5". The SEAS MCA15RCY is an exceptional mid driver

Why not cross it higher to the woofer, say 400hz or so. If the design is high efficiency, there's plenty of Pro woofers that can do 400hz in their sleep.

mayhem13 said:
The peak at 5khz is negligable, and a fair tradeoff for what you get otherwise. Given an LR4 at 2.5khz you'd never be able to isolate it during listening.

What people often forget is that a steep xover slope only fixes a portion of the problem. The signal being sent to the driver would be 24dB down at 5KHz in this example. The problem is that you still have the physical resonance there that the xover does nothing to fix. A high 2nd harmonic of 2.5KHz or 3rd harmonic of 1.25Khz created by the driver alone would not be affected by the xover. The 5KHz resonance can be excited to very audible levels without ever sending a 5KHz signal to it.

John

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
a.wayne said:

Would have to disagree Erik , 1 K for a 15 inch is way 2 high IMO and I would also expect to see high distortion levels from a 21 incher operated @ 350 HZ...

Regards,

I've measured my 21" Beyma, its actually better than the Seas W22 when it comes to THD at the same SPL at 300 Hz.

JBL (to name just one manufacturer) is able to use 15" drivers successfully into the 1 kHz range, so I would think that it is possible indeed. In their Project Everest, they run one 15" up to 700 Hz. Would you say that speaker is a faulty design?

a.wayne said:
Would have to disagree Erik , 1 K for a 15 inch is way 2 high IMO and I would also expect to see high distortion levels from a 21 incher operated @ 350 HZ...

You must not have heard any good 15" drivers. Our TD15M is flat to 4KHz where it then rolls off nicely without any harsh breakup. By 10KHz it is only about 12dB down. We actually do a variant and EQ it flat to 10KHz to play in bass guitar cabinets.

TD15M-closemic.PNG

In the midrange and vocal region, the large drivers will sound much better as they have to only move a fraction as far as a smaller driver to get the same SPL. Much lower input power means much lower thermal distortion issues. It also means less flux modulation and less inductance variation with excursion.

The only thing you need to worry about is your required dispersion pattern. Due to the nature of the larger drivers you will have a more narrow pattern, but at 2KHz you are still fairly good to 30 degrees off axis in any given direction. At 1KHz you can go to 45degrees giving you a 90 degree coverage pattern that will mate nicely with many waveguides there.

MisterTwister said:
John_E_Janowitz, is that 5k resonance excited by nearbuy frequencies only (say 2k-4k) ?
or can it be excited by lower signal frequencies?
say 500hz.

It can be excited by higher order harmonics as well depending on their levels. The higher order harmonics are also typically more offensive to the hearing.

John

John_E_Janowitz said:
What people often forget is that a steep xover slope only fixes a portion of the problem. The signal being sent to the driver would be 24dB down at 5KHz in this example. The problem is that you still have the physical resonance there that the xover does nothing to fix. A high 2nd harmonic of 2.5KHz or 3rd harmonic of 1.25Khz created by the driver alone would not be affected by the xover. The 5KHz resonance can be excited to very audible levels without ever sending a 5KHz signal to it.

John

That's all true but it's not an issue with the 18sound driver being discussed.

THD_96-100dB_14inches.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.