Heybrook HB2R someone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I am impressed by the "overall" performance of the Heybrook, I'm
less impressed by its tweeter. Could a more modern and high end
tweeter improve things? Any suggestions?

Hi,

Generally no, unless you want to completely redesign the speaker.
FWIW the designer of said speakers was not afraid to to make
his designs "showroom impressive" rather than long term nice.

Its just as likely the issues are related to the topend roll
off of the bassmid as they are to any tweeter issues.

rgds, sreten.

Sometimes such speakers simply work better upside down.

Last edited:
Burnt xover components.. Oops!

Hi,

I finally got to open one box tonight. See the pics. Does anyone has a schematic with components values?

I guess I found what makes them sound a bit harsh..

Attachments

• xover overall.jpg
    xover overall.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 212
  • burntxo1.jpg
    burntxo1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 211
Heybrook HB2R schematic

Hi there,

Opened other Heybrook tonight.. Same burnt resistor. It measures 17ohms, and on the other xover 15ohms. I guess this measurement is of no meaning since the component is burnt..

Here is a drawing of the schema I observed. I know nothing about xovers in general. I'm more at ease in a tube amp..

I don't understand what's for this resistor between the + terminal of the woofer and the - in parallel with a capacitor?? if it's a drop resistor, gee, it's got lots of watts to swallow..

I've indicated the few values I could identify.

Thanks!

Can't wait to buy replacement components. Anybody has a schematic??

Attachments

• Heybrookschema.jpg
    Heybrookschema.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 195
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So it is a resistor, it seemed like a small electrolytic to me but those charred foils come from the yellow cap it dig in after all.

Maybe its a crude way to even out the woofer's impedance having a resistor across it. It should have been 2-3 times the woofer's nominal if so. But guessing is not enough info.

figuring out..

Hi
Thanks for being around! I feel a bit lonely with that xover..

Well, it looks like a resistor, but I'll check again. It's a bit hard to identify what it is. As I wrote, one measures around 17ohm, the other 15..

Hoping to get some reactions from the Heybrook owners here..

I suspect a wiring error on that crossover. A small resistor would quickly burn out connected across the bass.

Something like below makes more sense. 15R and 1uF across a 1mH bass coil forms a tank that notches a bass cone at 5kHz. It would work well with a polymer (plastic) bass, I'd reckon.

Attachments

• Heybrook_Circuit.PNG
    Heybrook_Circuit.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 175
Mis-wiring?

Thanks System 7

Wiring error seems to make sense, though I saw no sign of mods on these xovers. What do you suggest then? rewiring? and do you think the 15ohm value makes sense? I mean, do you think the values (15-17ohm) I measured are still representative of the "original" value?

It would be interesting to find somebody who has HB2R to have a look at their xovers.

As you can see on the pics I took, the signal gets by the terminals at the center of the board, where black and blue is the link for - of both drivers. Red goes to woofer, brown to tweeter.

I'll go in my workshop tonight have a look to make sure I did no mistake while drawing this schema.

"2" resistors..

Hi System 7

Me again.

Comparing your re-drawing of the circuit (wich makes sense) to the pic I've taken (see my november 19th post with the picture I've taken) I do realise that in "reality" the xover has 2 resistors, not one. One is in the tweeter circuit, and the other one (the burnt one) in the woofer circuit.
If I understand you well, then, I should only "remove" the burnt resistor and leave the existing circuit as is? (just replacing the burnt capacitor)

Exactly, Sylver, it is the "TANK" on the bass circuit that has problems. 15R +1uF is a pretty typical value for good phase alignment.

Rewire it according to my diagram. These commercial speakers made a great deal of simple crossovers. The reality is that a complex one wouldn't fit on the back of the input socket fixing....:rolleyes:

I don't actually know what the tweeter shunt is, but leave that bit well alone. You might upgrade all this later when you grow strong in the force that is diy. You will need to visit maplin store or radioshack or such to get more components.

I would buy a hot 40W soldering iron and some lead-free solder, a fresh 1uF polypropylene capacitor and a 7W 15R wirewound resistor. Maybe some plain wire too. Soldering is pretty easy if you practise first. Get in and out quick before you fry stuff. If I'm more than 5 seconds, I back off and blow on it to cool it down. :D

Last edited:
don't you ever..

Hi System 7

This is real time chat! don't you ever sleep? if it's 20h30 in Canada, there must be around 2h30 am in UK? ;-)

I just don't understand a thing to xovers.. but I've built quite a few nice tube amps! ;-) so, yes, I should be ok replacing these components. I'll have to buy these caps and resistors though, so, I should give you news about the new sound of these HBs soon. I guess it should improve things.. except for the highs that I found a bit shrill..

Thanks again for your support.

Chat? Yes, I can do that. :D

My secret vice is my love of American Football as we call it in the UK. You'd call it NFL. :eek:

The Steelers @ Baltimore kept me up to 5AM last night. Love that brutal fixture. Only one concussion...RB LeVeon Bell on the penultimate pass. I was on the Steelers as it goes. :mad:

Most everything I know about 8" bass plus 1" tweeter is in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/245917-diy-kef-celestion.html

These days I hate dome tweeters, which just don't sound musical to my ears. So in the long run, I hope you try a cone tweeter.
TW 70 - 8 Ohm
HT-22/8

I expect you can find something similar in your neck of the woods.

Looks to me like maybe its another cap.

I've never seen a resistor burn up leaving a burnt plastic film.

Is that filmy stuff the melted remains of the coppery color printed outer label similar to the capacitor?

And the lead looks to be welded in the center more like a cap than the coil.

And the burnt part and capacitor are both on those yellow pads.

Also, why would they use 2 resistors in series?

Maybe sim it to see how it behaves.

Attachments

• xover overallzoom.jpg
    xover overallzoom.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 151
  • burntxo1zoom.jpg
    burntxo1zoom.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 156
Dave, it's quite hard to guess the designer's intention here. 3.3uF is a very typical first order treble value.

It would be easy enough to wire the resistor between the bass output and Input positive. That forms a TRAP. But you don't usually use a trap in this context. And it doesn't do much here either. But you could try it. It might help phase alignment.

The Tank is a common enough circuit to line up phase a bit and roll off the bass. Again it's subtle in effect. This is what I'd try first. But, quite honestly you probably wouldn't notice much if you just used the bare coil on the bass. :)

I can't think of any other circuits that use these 3 bass components.

Attachments

• Heybrook_HBR2_Burnt.JPG
    Heybrook_HBR2_Burnt.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Heybrook_Circuit_LCR_TRAP.PNG
    Heybrook_Circuit_LCR_TRAP.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Heybrook_Circuit_TANK_LCR.PNG
    Heybrook_Circuit_TANK_LCR.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 83
Burnt xover components..

Hi again -

One more comment. Where does the green arrow wire go? Is there another component under the burnt thingy?.

The burnt component (obviously black..) is sitting on a yellow capacitor.. that got partially burnt as well, but the burning resistor.. If you look at the diagram I had drawn, you see how it was linked. Resistor ended being linked between - and + woofer's terminals.

Chat? Yes, I can do that. :D

Sorry that I'm not into sports. Shame on me! ;-)

But it could be nice to chat in real time.

Most everything I know about 8" bass plus 1" tweeter is in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/245917-diy-kef-celestion.html

These days I hate dome tweeters, which just don't sound musical to my ears. So in the long run, I hope you try a cone tweeter..

I can only agree with you. Lately, I was using the little Goodmans Maxims, and as peaky as they are (and they really are.. could this be due to capacitor drifting in value with time?) I like their "imediacy" their pace and coherence. When driven by a 2A3, they sound really cool.

Today I shifted back to my Klipsch KG4, and I'm impressed again about how horns, suitably driven.. can sound real, coherent. Though, nothing compares to my Tannoys..

Soon, next project should be about bringing back to life Sonabs OD-11 (cone tweeters) I can't wait to give them a listen, live with them for a while. My collection of speakers is too long to list here.. lol. It could be the start of a new thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.