Hey everyone, I'm back with a new big project!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Hey everyone, I'm back with a new big project!!!

dscline said:

I'll leave the PR sub suggestions to those who know more about the topic. But I do have a suggestion about your design: if possible, you may want to re-think the bowed out design. I think that may adversely affect the sound quality of your center channel. The top panel can interfere with the direct output of the drivers, and reflections from the bottom panel can also muddy up the sound. I have my TV and audio equipment in a large armoire (big enough for my 46" TV). Most of my components are on a shelf immediately above the TV, with a stack of components on the left, another stack of components on the right, and there's JUST enough room between the two stacks for my center channel. The front of the center channel is normally relatively flush with the front of everything else (TV screen, front face of components, front edges of shelf and armoire cabinet), but I can still notice a sound difference between having the front of the center flush, and pulling the speaker out so it hangs over the shelf a few inches (therefore causing it to stick out a few inches past everything else). There is simply a more open sound when the speaker is brought out away from the rest of those boundaries.

I simply think having your center recessed back into that cabinet might cause the same problem. If you went with the same design, but brought the center channel out as far as it will go, and cut back the top panel such that it didn't cover the center channel speaker, I think you could mostly avoid this. You could bring the grill cloth from the center grill up over the top to still keep the center channel invisible.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Please remember, that is just a very basic "quickie" drawing I did. In the real world, I plan on building that shelf out to the grill, which will also be angled up slightly. It would be so in such a way that the center channel is actually hanging about two inches past the shelf and almost touching the subwoofer grill cloth at the top of the cabinet. ;)

Hi chops,

You could consider buying passive radiators at Acoustic Elegance.

http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv1263...th=24&osCsid=59a5510d51b356b37405a7418775e7df

The 15" is 45$ with 25mm Xmax. You could also use a single 18 at 125$ instead of dual 15s.

If you didn't have a Dayton already, you could have made a single big order for two AV12 or AV15 with two PR18 or four PR15 hehehe!

BTW, You can use WinISD Pro to simulate boxes with passive radiators like BassAwdyO said.

It's funny to watch those passive radiators go when I hit mine with a 20 Hz sinewave at high levels. They don't see much action at all with music but when you pop in a movie with some explosions, those things get moving with some force. I can vouch for the quality of the AE Speakers passive radiators - they don't tear apart even when run to the end of their travel, and before that there is no meaningful "compression" from them, just lots of clean stroke and air movement.

simon5 said:
Hi chops,

You could consider buying passive radiators at Acoustic Elegance.

http://yellow.mynethost.com/~bv1263...th=24&osCsid=59a5510d51b356b37405a7418775e7df

The 15" is 45$ with 25mm Xmax. You could also use a single 18 at 125$ instead of dual 15s.

If you didn't have a Dayton already, you could have made a single big order for two AV12 or AV15 with two PR18 or four PR15 hehehe!

BTW, You can use WinISD Pro to simulate boxes with passive radiators like BassAwdyO said.

Hey thanks! Those are nice PRs, but it says that their Fs is 4Hz?!?! Even their "700" PR has a Fs of 6Hz. How would I be able to use those with the Dayton 15 DVC?

"BAM", I take it you built your own PR sub system right? What did you use and what size enclosure did you go with? What the sub rated down to (Hz)?

Also, I tried entering some data in WinISD Pro last night and the program locked up saying something about a "Floating Point Error = 0" or something like that. I've used WinISD for several years now and never came across that error before. Any ideas? :confused:

Well it depends on how the "stock weight" is integrated into the passive radiator. If it's a extra weight disc that has been perhaps glued onto the cone it should come off easily. But if they use a extra heavy diaphram to contribute to MMS you would have to do someting like replacing the diaphram.

My suggestion. Find the PR's parameters. Enter into winISD and play around with alignments. You may need alot MORE mass than the PRs already have.... Hopefully that is the case.

Knowing that you have two PR's the system resonance should be fairly high that you shouldnt need to remove mass

I use the AE Speakers AV12 in 3 cubic feet with two 1400g 15" passive radiators. Both the AV series drivers and the passive radiators are fantastic parts. If you want 15's, you might consider the AV15 woofers once they become available again. They will want the AE Speakers 18" PRs, though, two per driver, to make sure you don't run out of displacement on them. With a 20 Hz sine at high levels, I can push the 15" PRs all the way to excursion in the 3 Cu. Ft. box. This is an extreme case, though. But it shows why you will want the 18" PRs if you go with an AV15 woofer. The diyAudio.com member "paulspencer" also has a pair of AV12 woofers in sealed boxes.

As for PR subs in general, my experience has been a favorable one. Just mind your box-design P's and Q's (like, don't tune too high) and you will be happy with it. If your box is tuned very low, don't be surprised if the PRs don't really get into the action with most program material - they only really get going when you start getting pretty close to their tuning frequency. Mine is tuned to 18 Hz. It's fun in the movie We Were Soldiers when the helicopter flies overhead, and the bass is going "whompwhompwhompwhompwhomp..."

For music, I also like the PR sub, better than my old reflex sub. PRs seem to more closely approximate the sound of a sealed box above the tuning frequency, as you start getting into the music program range. The only way I would be happier is if I had two of these subs instead of one, and a nice big living room that I could really open this thing up in.

Rumor has it AE Speakers is coming back in a very big way, very soon. People contemplating big sub driver purchases should wait until they see the new AV series, but my lips are sealed as to details.

Cal Weldon said:
Chops,

All you have to do is either ignore the post or better, say thanks, that's not for me. Nothing more. People are trying to help even though you don't see it. Let's make this the only reminder I give you.

Cal
You are threatening a contributing member because he is reminding another (rather heedless) member that he does not want any irrelevant advice?

Oh, wait, I think I've already said too much.

simon5 said:
Hey chops I've just checked your driver with Acoustic Elegance PRs. It could work well.

I want to know, do you have 9 cu.ft for both enclosures or 9 cu.ft per enclosure?

Hi simon5, I could if need be go up to 9 cf per enclosure. I'm a firm believer in larger enclosure for improved bass output with moderate amplifier power.

In fact, speaking of amps, I am no longer going to use the QSC RMX 1450HD that I was planning on. I just don't like the idea of a fan running, especially durring quiet music passages or quiet parts of a movie. I am however going to get two of those 300 watt digital BASH plate amps from Parts Express. Digital amps are the way to go these days; low heat, efficient and silent operation.

Simon5, did you run my driver through WinISD with two of the AE PRs? How did it look on the screen? Just curious, thanks! ;)

454Casull said:
You are threatening a contributing member because he is reminding another (rather heedless) member that he does not want any irrelevant advice?

Since you're curious, I was reminding him of the forum protocol.

Oh, wait, I think I've already said too much. [/B]

Perhaps, I don't recall asking for your opinion.

Favorite design so far...

9 cu.ft, optimized to be flat in-room.

3 of those Acoustic Elegance PRs at 45$.

I'll post more graphs later...

Attachments

• blah34r.jpg
    blah34r.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 165
Go post and ask for feedback on your design at the AE Speakers forum, and hear straight from the source on how your designs are going. The company is really gaining momentum. John Janowitz's new partner, Deon Bearden, is personal friends with Tom Nousaine (google the name) who posts there from time to time. This is special, because Tom typically doesn't do the online forum thing. Everyone's real nice and glad to help you out - it really doesn't have the uptight feel of an "audiophile" forum.

I'm serious - go check it out for yourself. Click the "forum" link.

http://www.aespeakers.com

I also hear that the content for the new web site is almost ready to go.

Holy smokes! Three PRs per enclosure?! Wouldn't two PRs be more than enough for the Dayton sub?

Don't worry, I'm not complaining or questioning you at all, just a little surprised.

Also, thanks BAM for the advise. The few times that I was on their site I never even noticed the link to their forum. I'll definately post on there just to see what they have to say. And yes, I have known about Tom Nousaine and his reviews for years.

And again simon5, thanks for all the helpfull input so far! ;)

Yeah, two would be enough, but the light PRs (PR700) are at 70$ each and you would need two.

So, you can go over the edge and buy three PR1050 for the same effect, lower price (3x 45 = 135 vs 2x 70 = 140) but better visual effect, no???

:D

I've already posted at AE forums, you can use my topic or create a new one...

simon5 said:
Yeah, two would be enough, but the light PRs (PR700) are at 70$ each and you would need two.

So, you can go over the edge and buy three PR1050 for the same effect, lower price (3x 45 = 135 vs 2x 70 = 140) but better visual effect, no???

:D

I've already posted at AE forums, you can use my topic or create a new one...

Yeah, I already saw your post on the AE forums. Thanks.

I'm going to try playing around with WinISD Pro some more today. Hopefully it will work for me now. :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.