• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heresy? Replacing tube rectifier w/Weber Copper Cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The original HF-87 had a thermal delay on the B+ that took about a minute or so to kick in. This provided protection against excessive HV on start-up. In my opinion, there should not be 400V on any 12AX7, if the circuit is working.

I'll bet that your thermal switch is missing, defective, or bypassed . . .

quote:
I believe those little ones are just a couple of silicon diodes. The copper ones are supposed to have some series resistance added so that they don't result in a lot of extra B+ and probably an inrush limiter. I've never taken one apart, but that is the impression that I got.

The Weber Copper tube replacement(s) are several to choose from to best match the need, are an ok replacement. It is most true that they do not have the same slow warm up time as a tube, and that they do not suck life out of the 5 volt winding. Different versions have different voltage drops at the rated currents to try to simulate different tubes. I've designed one into a KT88 amp, I did not have a 5 volt winding to power a tube and I did not want to add another transformer. You can end up with a higher B+ to stretch the voltage ratings on the caps and tubes, so just know that before you play with them..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.