Help repairing Pioneer M3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Good job your using the bulb.

Do you remember how we shorted the vbe multiplier out before, to force the bias to zero while you worked on it. I think we need to do that again by linking it out like this.

Have you replaced Q20 and Q21 yet ?

Attachments

• Bias.JPG
    Bias.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 84
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
All these alligator clips sound very scary :p but it all sounds promising up to now.

What you have to do next is check that the output stages biases up OK and you do that initially with the bulb still in place and NO speakers attached.

So look at VR2 (thats the bias pot that goes to Q11) and set it to minimum resistance (so its like a short). Unsolder the link wire you put in and switch on and check the bias sets OK (thats the small voltage across the 0.5 ohms). The bulb will glow more as you turn up the bias. That proves its all OK. Turn the bias back down again.

If you want to test with a speaker again then increasing the bias even a tiny amount should remove all the distortion, If it does then I think we test on full mains and set it all up as we did originally.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Another thought... thats all OK for testing but you really need at some point to fit the correct 22 ohm resistor and when you do you should go through the bias set up again.

And we need to think why it all failed in the first place. But lets get it all working first.

I need to feed them regularly or they bite me lol

I removed the short, Bias with trim at min is 0, but when I try to adjust it it goes only negative. I probably inverted the connections (positive pin 13, negative pin 9) since if I measure it on the 0.5 resistor bias will set fine and smooth

Now I will set bias accordingly to the other channel, then I will reassemble the amp and test it

I need to wait until monday for the resistor, in my town I can find only cheap Chinese parts. I will probably use some 2W kiwame

I think the fail is related to the MJE340/350 high temperature, the other predrivers have an heatsink while I didn't use it on the MJE.
Do the MJE340/350 need insulation? I can attach them two aluminum washers and see if it work

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Your not having much luck with this at the moment. Have any of the output transistors failed short circuit, and are all the 0.5 ohms OK ?

Yes, the MJE's need insulation. The collector is connected to the metal tab.

How did it come to short out ? What happened.

What happened.... No idea really

I regulated bias to 1mv and offset to zero on both channels, then I removed the alligator connections and reassembled the amp with original connections pin(3-4- 6-7-13-14-IN-E)
Turn on again and it don't work, I checked all connections but I didn't made any mistakes so honestly I don't have a clue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.