Help in English

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And I won't mention the pronunciation "issues"

Unlike the wonderfully logical French pronunciations!

The rule is that everything in French is pronounced exactly the way it sounds.

You will learn how to simplify the telling of anecdotes by use of the phrase "was like" as a substitute for so many hard to remember verbs.

In Teenspeak, the verb "to say" is generally replaced by "to go" or "is all" or "is like."

Example:

"So he goes, 'wow, what are you wearing?' And I'm all, 'It's a totally awesome tank top.' And he's like, 'It's a good color.' "

Frances, it's a joke.

EC, we have an extremely popular cooking/travel show here hosted by a woman pushing 40 but who dresses and talks like a teenager. She can't cook, has a voice reminiscent of chalk squeaking on a blackboard, smirks and giggles incessantly, and uses "awesome" at least twice in every sentence. I've given up hope...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ZERS said:
come on guys, French is very easy to learn :xeye:

My comment on pronunciation was about the difference between US and UK guys.
I often watch CNN and NBC news, sometimes this is not the same english :D

You mean CNN and BBC?
Often its not the same news either :D

I agree, French is easy. Just look at all those 2-yr old French kids that speak it fluently...

Jan Didden

janneman said:

You mean CNN and BBC?

Oups ! Damned french keyboard :D

janneman said:

Often its not the same news either :D
:D
Anyway, there is a TV program in france that compares how both french Channel 1 and Channel 2 news, deal the same headline. For example : "why such an unemployment rate in my France ?"

The news aren't definetly the same at all :D (sometimes...)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ZERS said:

Oups ! Damned french keyboard :D

:D
Anyway, there is a TV program in france that compares how both french Channel 1 and Channel 2 news, deal the same headline. For example : "why such an unemployment rate in my France ?"

The news aren't definetly the same at all :D (sometimes...)

Yeah. We had a headline in a Dutch paper yesterday saying: "NATO will not go to South Lebanon". That surprised me.

But reading the article it appeared that NATO's SecGen had said: "It is still too early to decide, we need more info on the type of mission, mandate etc, and we haven't been asked yet anyway" , which was a) Common sense and b) totally different from the headline. Pure misleading as far as I think.

Jan Didden

SY said:

Funny thing about that. And a Lyonnais doesn't sound much like a Quebecois, either. While we're at it, what's up with those stupid French numbers? 97 is "four twenty ten seven." The Quebecois will sensibly say "nonante sept."

Quebecois : I agree, they speak a better french than us. But this is a very old french...

French are often stupids, but not our numbers :D It would take too much time for me to explain you why "nonante sept" isn't correct (it clearly comes from switzerland), whereas "quatre vingt dix sept" is correct...

:cool:

please calm down otherwise I would start a discussion about US and UK silly metric systems ! :mdr:

Let's go back to english lessons for a dumb french :

I'm writing an agreement between my cie and a supplier, and I'd like to understand the difference between :

"Firm X commit to deliver several stuff...." and
"Firm X undertakes to deliver several stuff...."

Thanks

EC, that's how I hear most Americans say it, more or less, although "half past" is less common than "thirty." I.e., it's ten thirty at the moment. Doesn't seem clumsy.

Zers, "stuff" is one of the class of nouns that lack a plural. Another example is "luggage." So for more than one item, we would say "some stuff." But that wasn't your question.

"Commit" means "I promise to do it." "Undertake" is a bit stuffy and formal, at least in American usage, but means "I'll try to do it."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.