Help in English

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SY said:
Lyon has provided me with some of the finest meals of my life.

Fourviere can provide one with a magnificent view of the city.

The Rhone provides a water source that, after percolating its way through the hills, provides the vines on Cote Blonde their nourishment. The vignerons in Ampuis and Condrieu provide me with the best wine on Earth.
Seems you're familiar with my country

Thaks all for your replies. I learn a lot !

Regards

"Have to" is more aggresive(it is absolute).
"Ought to" is more about treading along the morally correct path , in other words "should have....":angel:

As an example, I have to baby-sit my GF's kid(what can be more inflexible than this!!!:mad: ).
I ought to baby-sit.... means that in retrospect I should have, you know, ummm .....

Over to the others who can chime in and prolong the agony:devilr:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
They both mean that you should do something, the difference is in whether you have accepted this and actually will do it.

Have to: probably will do it.
Ought to: probably won't.

I have to complete my Tax Return by the end of September, or I will be fined, so I ought to do it this week.

ZERS said:
thanks sirs...

I ought to spend six months in the yankee's country since I have to improve my english ;)

That ought not to help. I've noticed that the majority of the DIYAudio members who most need to repeat their grammar and spelling lessons are from the US and Canada.

Unless, that is, you would like to improve your conversational English. You will learn how to simplify the telling of anecdotes by use of the phrase "was like" as a substitute for so many hard to remember verbs.

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.