• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help! Did my power cable blow his tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One also needs to consider that this is the perfect setting to get exposure for his magical product. Seems strange that a NEW member has a snake oil product and is in the process of possibly getting ripped off. Some here actually believe in the make believe connectors, speaker line, and interconnects so why not a power cord. How many are ready to sign up to purchase one?

Well, just say that you want your cable back so you can see what's wrong with it. If he sends it back, be happy and ignore him. If he doesn't, ignore him anyways.

As everybody else has said, your cable is not the fault and he's the douche thinking a new cable will improve his sound.

I think it is pretty clear that the group here agrees that there is NO WAY for this, or really any US system power cable to damage anything downstream.
I think it is hard to even imagine it would blow the fuse in the amp, much less damage a tube.
Perhaps you should share the the of the publisher for this reviewer. I would certainly shy away from a magazine employing fools as their "experts".
Please also, let's not disparage the OP for his small and perhaps fledgling cable business. Some folks like aftermarket cables for a variety of reasons. Besides, the OP has not actually made any unrealistic claims as to his cable's performance here, nor has he made any underhanded efforts to sell or advertise.

Tell him his house wiring isn't up to the task of supplying audiophile power. All your power cable did was reveal the house wiring deficiencies by allowing them to pass through to his amp.

He obviously needs a house wiring upgrade. A service you can provide for a plane ticket for you and your assistant :D, and a of course a small , but higher fee than $641. You will refund his money by taking $641 dollars off his bill.

If that doesn't work, tell him his amp couldn't simlpy go on living, after having its new pure electron supplier taken away.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think it is pretty clear that the group here agrees that there is NO WAY for this, or really any US system power cable to damage anything downstream.
I think it is hard to even imagine it would blow the fuse in the amp, much less damage a tube.
Perhaps you should share the the of the publisher for this reviewer. I would certainly shy away from a magazine employing fools as their "experts".
Please also, let's not disparage the OP for his small and perhaps fledgling cable business. Some folks like aftermarket cables for a variety of reasons. Besides, the OP has not actually made any unrealistic claims as to his cable's performance here, nor has he made any underhanded efforts to sell or advertise.

:up: Completely agree and thank you for putting it so eloquently.

Something puzzles me: how is it that someone who knows enough to design and construct a 'superior' mains cable does not know enough to make a judgement about its alleged damaging effect on an amplifier, so requests help on two different DIY sites? Has the same question been asked on professional electricians' sites too?
I told him from the beginning that it's not possible that a power cable could blow his fuse, but he keeps disagreeing with me so that I start to doubt and worry. If I had known that power cables could destroy amps, I would never have risked sending cables to anyone. I have sent cables to many people and they never complained.

Could his fuse have blown if my 15awg cable was too thin?
In Europe you can use thin cables for high watts because you use both the live and neutral conductors, but in USA you use only the live conductor to supply the power, so you need thicker conductors, correct?

If my cable was too thin, the insulation would have melted?

Here are the specs of his amp:

Specifications

Amplifier
Ayon Triton III

Class of Operation
Triode* or Pentode mode, Class-A*

Tube Complement
8 x KT88

Load Impedance
4 & 8 Ohms

Bandwidth
8Hz-70kHz

Output Power:pentode mode KT88
2 x 100 W

Output Power:Triode mode KT88
2 x 60 W

Frequency Response
10 Hz - 60 kHz

Input Impedance at 1 kHz
100 KΩ

Input sensitivity (full power)
1V

NFB
0dB

Remote Control
Yes

Inputs
3 x Line IN, 1 x XLR IN, 1 x Direct IN,

Outputs
1 x Pre Out

Dimensions (WxDxH) cm
51x42x25 cm

Weight
45 kg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Could his fuse have blown if my 15awg cable was too thin?
In Europe you can use thin cables for high watts because you use both the live and neutral conductors, but in USA you use only the live conductor to supply the power, so you need thicker conductors, correct?

If my cable was too thin, the insulation would have melted?

Here are the specs of his amp:

We use live and neutral here too, you have to complete the circuit. The reason smaller gauges are used in Europe is because the line voltage is twice as high and current half as much for a given power level compared to here. In any event 15ga wire should be sufficient for roughly 10A.

Status
Not open for further replies.