• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help! Did my power cable blow his tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent the cable to him for free, so that he could review it, I haven't gotten any money.

"Review," or audition? I hope he wasn't going to write something about it.

Technically, if your connector to the amp was loose, could it not create an intermittent contact that might not have been detected until multiple short power loss and resumptions occured? Is that a condition like flipping the power switch on and off quickly ? What could happen under those conditions?

A friend of mine reviewed audio gear for a magazine for a while. He got a lot of quite nice gear for free in exchange for a favorable review. To me it sounds like this reviewer wants to get both a free power cable and a free tube set.

I don't see any way a wiring error in the cable could result in a blown fuse unless you connect hot to either ground or neutral. Even then, it would blow the fuse/circuit breaker in the main panel, not in the amp.

The most commonly used power plug for 120 V in the US is the NEMA 5-15P. Unless you have changed the wiring in your house to some illegal setup, there is no way to get more than 120 V from a household outlet that matches that plug.
The 120/240 V plug commonly used for cooking ranges, clothes dryers, and welders is about the size of a hockey puck. That's the NEMA 14-30. It's a four-pin plug. No self-respecting European would allow a plug that ugly to be used for HiFi... :D

You can see the various connector types here:
NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

~Tom

Last edited:
What was on the ends of the power cable? IEC female and Edison male? That's what would be standard for the USA. The 120V Edison plug is not common in Europe. Did you supply that?
I am using this plug.
images

You didn't blow the amp. Sorry to tell you this but I don't buy into the power cord hype, the speaker line or interconnect hype either. Being that I work in the audio business I get to play with all the toys. I can hear absolutely no difference between power cords and all the other snake oil stuff. My suggestion is this.... find something that actually works and market that.

I already paid $100 of my own money to ship the power cable, something I would have needed elsewhere, and now I'm in financial trouble. There is no way I can get enough money from anywhere to pay for the tubes and fuses.

He shouldn't have used an expensive piece of "test" equipment. All he needed was an ohm meter.

Sounds like he wanted to get a combo promo deal with the amp maker.

Did he say he had difficulty installing the cord onto the amp? Maybe it was his fault for not ensuring the cable was properly fully seated and not too loose.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
As previously mentioned, I can't understand how he could possibly have connected your cable to his wiring. Therefore, the question to ask is whether he rewired your cable, or added some adapter. If either is the case, then it's his problem.
Ask him for $641 for your pain and suffering from his ignorance.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As previously mentioned, I can't understand how he could possibly have connected your cable to his wiring.
You missed the picture of the Edison plug.

You'll have to check the cable to see if it's wired wrong. Don't suggest that it is! Just ask for it back so that you can check it yourself. It should not cost more than about $10 to ship it via USPS Priority Mail (Flat Rate Box).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Buyer trying to scam
230V in to 120V amp
Coincidence
Operator error

Pick 2

Where in your American home do you have 240V? :D
A line cord is not capable of converting 120V to 240V last time I checked.. The OP posted a very clear picture of a standard NEMA 15A 120V plug, even swapping the hot and neutral is not going to cause a problem like this to occur. The reviewer is located here in the U.S.

There was clearly something that went wrong with the amplifier and the amplifier manufacturer if anyone should be on the hook here - and it is not necessarily the case that the user just isn't an incompetent boob reviewer/appliance operator with no clue as to what is going on under the hood, aka the typical audiophool..

I'd probably request the line cord back - but frankly the reviewer in question is never going to believe the OP that it was not his line cord, ignorance is like that, judge, jury and executioner all in one. I would simply state to the individual in question that there is no causal relationship between changing line cords and internal amplifier failures. Given the description of the failure and the ensuing supposed fireworks I'd suspect a bias supply failure..

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Since we're dealing with an audio reviewer - most likely a fool - you could tell him the following story:

My power cable delivers 'too pure electrons', if these 'too pure electrons' encounter something impure in their path to glory they sanctify the evil by ways of destroying it.

You won't get your cable back and hopefully, no review either so at least have some fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.