Help Borat choose a Career

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok so we ruled out PHD. that's a dead-end kind of doctorate.

i was talking about the kind of "D" which leads to some sort of a professional license.

license > doctor

if i can have both as a package deal great. if not then it has to the license.

for example i don't need to be doctor of anything to be a PE. all i would need is to pass some tests - but i would have to study for them ... alot. and the end result would be a very boring job.

Einstein worked in a patent office and according to Wikipedia:

Albert Einstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Much of his work at the patent office related to questions about transmission of electric signals and electrical-mechanical synchronization of time, two technical problems that show up conspicuously in the thought experiments that eventually led Einstein to his radical conclusions about the nature of light and the fundamental connection between space and time.

So i am thinking that maybe that line of work would be more stimulating for me than checking if everything is up to national electrical code ?

Optometry. You're a doctor (OD) in 4 years if you already have the undergrad biology, no dealing with hospital beaurocracy. If you work hard, you can make 6-figures working weekends only.

Short-term memory a problem?

i think every kind of memory is a problem.

i didn't take any bio in college :eek: i only took AP bio in HS :grumpy:

now that i think of it, i didn't take anything in college except engineering classes ( no biochem either ). does that mean i couldn't apply to any medical school ?

also i do not want to flush all of the knowledge i already have down the drain. i want it to somehow still be relevant to whatever i would be doing.

can anybody tell me already why you guys are all so against the patent lawyer idea ?

I'm with Tom, if you're up to the task/direction, you would have felt it.
Asking the question, means becoming a Ph. Dr. or Dr. eng. is not your way.
Regards

right.

well i think i might be "feeling" the desire to go into IP law.

that way i could look at other people's inventions which would inspire me to invent stuff on my own and then i would patent it for myself.

i have a backlog of stuff that i invented that needs to be patented going all the way back to high school

LOL

?

Why not become an Engineering professor?

I believe you only work about ~15 hours a week, make pretty good money ($100k+), and have pretty good job security. One of the professors in the materials department at my University makes near $350k salary.

In addition, you'll have the resources of the University at your disposal for research. If you're interested in more money, you could spend your extra time working as a consultant for the industry.

or if you're really brilliant,

You could save up, build yourself a respectable supercomputer, and apply various numerical techniques (ex. monte carlo) to predict stock prices.

Of course, I couldn't think of a more stressful career path. If it works out though, you could make bank.

Competition for those jobs is fierce. A young guy trying to get a tenure-track position may as well be trying for a slot in the NFL. It helps to be female, non-white, and non-Asian; a white or Asian male is going to have a pretty rough go of it these days.

I'm an undergraduate engineering student and have considered this as a possible career path. I have met with a significant number of the engineering faculty and they all seem to love their job.

With NASA funding being cut and the economy slumping, there appear to be less and less options.:( If I desired this to be an option in the future, what sort of things would I have to achieve to be competitive?

What sort of qualifications are usual for tenure positions?

Thanks,
Thadman

Last edited:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Publish in respectable places, impress people with the quality of your research. That starts during the phd, continues during the postdoc, and then if you find an assistant prof position. At good schools tenure comes with a lot of personal sacrifice.

or if you're really brilliant,

You could save up, build yourself a respectable supercomputer, and apply various numerical techniques (ex. monte carlo) to predict stock prices.

Of course, I couldn't think of a more stressful career path. If it works out though, you could make bank.

we're not going to get into politics of insider trading in this thread ;)

I have met with a significant number of the engineering faculty and they all seem to love their job.

I'd love it, too. There's just too many people chasing too few tenure track positions. Many universities (maybe most) are relying more and more on non-tenure track staff and part-timers.

Qualifications? A solid PhD from a top school and a top professor, a successful post-doc, and the means and connections to bring in grant money. Grant money (or the clear potential to get some) is the number one, number two, and number three qualification; that's where departments make their money. Having two X chromosomes and the "right" ancestry is probably next on the list, though grant connections will still trump XY genetics and the "wrong" ancestry.

Why don't you try a civil engineering degree? The collapse of WTC7 wouldn't then appear so mysterious.

Seriously, though, your obvious detachment from reality as evidenced by what you've written on your website may make it difficult to get a real engineering job. I vote for sales or marketing.:)

John

Borat,

Where I work (Fortune 100 food processing company), the 'easy' way for a young engineer to jump up the ladder is an MBA. Especially if said engineer doesn't really want to DO engineering work. It's an automatic jump in pay grade, and an in on the path up. "Director of xxx" or "VP of yyy" bring more money and prestige than Dr. zzzzzzzz. My employer will even pay for the degree.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Worlds Best Job

Here my little secret.

For much of my career I've worked business meetings as a tech. So I've seen close up people from many industries and jobs. Bankers, brick makers, heavy industry, food, insurance, trucks, furniture, government, teachers, big tobacco, racing, wine and liquor, electronics, communications, etc, etc.

But the very last meeting I did when I lived in Hawaii was for an unusual group. They had come from all over the world for an association meeting. From six continents they came. They all had two things in common - their jobs, and the fact they they were the happiest, warmest, most friendly, best adjusted, lowest stress people I had ever seen. Ever. They glowed. The hotel staff noticed it too.

What was their job? Teaching babies to swim. No kidding.

I don't know if the job made them happy, or if only happy people got into the business (and they all did quite well) - or both. But it was remarkable.

a couple of reasons to get a PhD:

1. Interesting people

2. Universities are great for dumpster diving (just restored a $300 light guide I found)

3. You enjoy being independent

SY is right to point out the difficulties in getting a tenure track position. One must also consider the years of lost income while pursuing the degree. Financially it rarely adds up.

Get outside of yourself while you can and make needs and wants lists over and over, burn your decision in deep. Along the lines of teaching babies to swim how about teaching at a trade school or Community College, pay sounds sucky to many and you won't be held in awe but there's low stress security. Lots of time to be yourself if needed. Me, I love to put the seed in, help the corn along and dick off in the winter. Good luck:note:

Hi,

Over the last couple months i have come to the conclusion that my EE degree just isn't worth anything. maybe it's the economy or maybe not.

Not economy. Being an EE pays dick and the job mostly sucks.

Software pays massively better.

I decided that i want to be:

a: a "professional"

and

b: a "doctor" of something

Before ending up in my current career(s) I spend time in the paramilitary, learning sniping among others (if you grew up in the Soviet Union as you alluded to you would have had this chance too).

I would suggest a career as "Doctor of removing of inconvenient obstacles". It has many things going for it.

Very reasonable hourly rates.

Very reasonable hours.

Can be quite demanding and challenging, so one does not get bored easily.

Incorporates many areas of expertise (for example biology expertise can help prepare ricin which has it's own uses in removing inconvenient obstacles) rather than a single narrow area of expertise.

Allows the application of artistic sensitivities in the way obstacles are removed.

Positions available from all major governments, many NGO's (including "The Maf" and "The Tongs") but also possible to do free-lancing.

Almost as good is being a civil (liability) litigation lawyer.

As is being a TV Evangelist.

A career as politician is also quite fun.

Of course, all these require absence of concience, which has prevented me pursuing them.

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.