Hello from Bangalore, India

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great photos. I was wondering where Navin had seen them. I had to search through George's post to find them.

Ashok I have heard about this Dhaba. I have not been there but recently my wife visited the place. I am really tempted to come to Jamshedpur. My inlaws keep cribbing, now I have an excuse not to avoid them.

This camaraderie among DIYers is great.

Hey George, I am also a like minded guy and young at heart, do give me a call 9810088356 when you are in Delhi next. You can audition my bad system.

Angshu

PS Ashok I feel like throttling your Relience aunty!

The "Dhabas" of Jamshedpur etc

Hi Angshu

I dont travel too much, but have done a bit in the past 2 months..

Anyway, talking of dhabas, I can assure you that Jamshedpur's dhaabas are not dhabas, but upmarket resorts-one is the place we went to with Ashok and Yogita, called Hill View. It has rooms, a dance floor, indoor restaurant, swimming pool, and a huge lawn, off the main highway, so you cant see what is there from the main entrance until you actually come in. The music playing was Dire Straits, Eagles, Bon Jovi etc.

The other place where I went for lunch last Sunday at Jamshedpur( this is diagonally opposite to Hill View) is called the Tenth Milestone-it has an a/c bar, rooms, a conference hall, children's play area etc and many families come there for a family outing according to Ashok. When we left at around 2.15 after lunch I counted about 25-30 cars in the car park-a measure of it's popularity.

On the wine list were 12 year old Scotch whiskies like Black Dog and Something Special-stuff that you wont see in ordinary dhabas. Payment by credit card is accepted-this on the Ranchi highway! So you guys who haven't been yet, there check it out, both are strongly recommended. Food is excellent-we enoyed the lachha paranthas, and kababs, though I suspect the veggie stuff may not be quite as good!

Now back to audio-would be more than happy to do an audition of your speakers if I visit Delhi. Should you be visiting Bangalore, do let me know. There is another friend here who is also into this hobby-he built an ACI Titan powered sub using a 10 inch driver, downfiring. His system consists of Audiolab transport/DAC/amp with DIY speakers, also has built a Northcreek Music Systems Borealis speaker system using Scanspeak mids and tweeters,(this is quite similar to one of my speaker systems) as well as Quad Electrostatics and a Quad amp.

Regards

George

Re: The "Dhabas" of Jamshedpur etc

gjo said:

Should you be visiting Bangalore, do let me know. There is another friend here who is also into this hobby-he built an ACI Titan powered sub using a 10 inch driver, downfiring. His system consists of Audiolab transport/DAC/amp with DIY speakers, also has built a Northcreek Music Systems Borealis speaker system using Scanspeak mids and tweeters,(this is quite similar to one of my speaker systems) as well as Quad Electrostatics and a Quad amp.

Regards

George

Hi George,

Audio can pull me anywhere. I visit Bangalore couple of times a year, I will not miss the opportunity to audition the lovely system you write about. Hope your friend does not mind the invasion. Someone owning a Quad is worth a visit.

I did dabble a bit trying to build ESLs, have not been too successful, Can't get over with it, plan to embark again.

Any one else in India played around with ESLs.

Angshu

Angshu

Mahendra Palesha who make powered subwoofers in Pune is a guy you should talk to. His subs are barnded Palesha and Sonoku or Sonuku. He knows the people at Cadence, who make ESLs IIRC. Mahendra is a very nice guy, I have met him at Pune and he took out me to a very nice ethnic Rajput/Marwari thali joint one night(Okay, now let me confess, I am a foodie!).

My friend here in Bangalore has packed uo his quads, he doesnt listen to them these days, but since the only ESLs I have heard are Martin Logans, in the US, a few years ago I can try and persuade him to unwrap these of you are here!

Let me know if you want to connect up with Mahendra-he is into car subs, but I think also has a tie up with Cadence for his subs which they sell with their ESLs. 12 inch bandpass units IIRC with 100 watts amps. He also sells subs directly to customer.

I'm pushing for the Bangalore IT.Com show now

George

how do you rate the drivers of MP's 12"? I think we can convince him to sell DIYers his woofers if he realises we are genunine end customers. it might solve the need for a sub driver. thenif we can integrates this with teh bolton 6" i hear about and the peerless 1" some of us might be able to avoid the hassles of importing

It is a pleasure to see you guys socializing!

And George, your legs are sensational!! (Or was that perhaps your jokes??)

As we all play host to the very same audiophile virus, it is perhaps a great pity that others from different continents cannot meet to compare symptoms.......

Cheers,

Hugh

(stage 5, worsening daily now)

gjo said:
Angshu

He knows the people at Cadence, who make ESLs IIRC. Mahendra is a very nice guy, I have met him at Pune and he took out me to a very nice ethnic Rajput/Marwari thali joint one night(Okay, now let me confess, I am a foodie!).

George,

No need to confess. We audiophiles have refined taste. Meet another of your tribe. Food and Music keeps me going, there are other things too, better I discuss that off line!!!

Many years back I had lovely stakes at the 'Ónly Place' in Brigade road. They are not there any more, have they closed down or moved out.

I have heard the Cadence ESLs, and I like them. They have done a marvelous job. I only wished they built a larger ESL and crossed their woofer below 500Hz instead of 1KHz. Cadence responded very well with my feedback and has sent me reviews and articles about them. I plan to visit Pune in the near future and visit their audition room.

I don't mind meeting Mahendra Palesha since you say he is a nice guy, (strange ! I seem to like all nice guys) may be I will let you know when I visit Pune. I build my own sub and amps, so he may not have a commercial interest in knowing me.

Angshu

Hi Hugh

Here I am in Bangalore, India telling some of our tribe here that they can come to my place to audition an Australian amp. Well, glad you enjoy some of the funnies:D Any more AKSA owners in our neck of the woods as yet?

Navin: I havent yet listened to Mahendra's subs, so I cant comment. IIRC he told me that he gets the drivers from Taiwan. No idea about the driver specs.

Angshu: Mahendra is a very good host, and it makes no diff whether you make your subs(as also I do) or not! Let me know when you plan your visit to Pune, I will locate his phone number or I will email him and get it. OPs closed down but their cooks are active at another eatery called Lazio where they still make good steaks. I'll be happy to take you there when you are here next!

George

Sunday 7th.

Hi George,
I am in Bangalore for two days. I'm leaving by Brindavan on Sunday. Will you be having the session later in the day ?
Would be good to listen to the system.

If I can contact you , let me know the number.
You can email me at amadhavan(at)eth.net
The @ has been replaced in an effort to cut down spam. I sometimes get over 100 spam emails in a day !
Cheers.
Ashok.

George,

No more yet, but working on it! Sunil Jocelyn, from Bangalore and working for the Australian ANZ Bank, will be meeting up with me in Melbourne later in 2004; you might look him up, nice guy, born in India, raised in Middle East, really interesting background with IT skills.

I will let you know when each and every AKSA is fired up in India!! You could start a club!!

And George, now you need a hybrid GK-1 preamp!

Cheers,

Hugh

Ashok

You can call me at home 5473007/5478460. I plan the session at around 11 AM Sunday at my house, with two power amps-a 35 wpc tube push pull and the 55 wpc solid state AKSA. The speakers are an MTM using Focal mids and Raven R1 tweeters, and apowered sub with a 12 inch driver, passive radiator and a 250watts mono amp.

I have a farily decent assortments of CDs , and beer is on the house!

George

Hi Hugh

I have been a bit busy on the work front lately, not much time for audio. I plan to upgrade my Welborne Labs amp with Caddocks and Multicaps, which I have had for the past 6 months, as well as complete my Audax HT speaker system.

I've been eyeing a tube amp for some time, but I think it's best to get these incomplete projects finished before taking up anything new!

In the meantime we look forward to India's tour of Australia..

Regards

George

Any DIYers in Hyderabad?

Namskara

I plan to be in Hyderabad on Monday Jan 19th, for some work, I will have some time in the evening before my flight back, and if any of you knows any enthusiast there, would love to touch base.

Now that the New Year has come, do let me know if anyone has plans to visit Bangalore..I have just ordered a tube preamp from the US as my latest toy( Grounded Grid from Transcendent Sound) Hope to have it up and running by March end, depending on how it gets ferried across to apna desh.

Regards

George

P.S. Ashok Madhavan(if you see this), I had dinner recently with NR Venkatesh when he was here-he's now back in Geneva. He talked with great enthu about the good old days when you guys were at IIT.

Angshu is going to be in Jamshedpur starting tonight. Therefore, the weekend promises to be interesting with this Guru. George if you are reading this then take heart. Angshu and I we will be appreciating, and cheering your good health with that fine bottle of single you gave me last time. :drink:

Also FWIW I offer to copy and send to interested Indian DIYers here the “GJO Sound Testing and Auditioning CD”. IMO it is a must have for anybody who seriously considers himself an audio tweaker. Anybody interested just send your contact detail. CD copy will be done in Yamaha “Audio Master” setting.

This CD offer is free. And any copywriter issues may kindly be referred to George, as he is the original culprit ;)

Hugh:

Ahh them Oz's.. :headbash: Imazine a Six in the last over. Never knew Brett Lee could bat too :bawling:

The CD.

Hi Ashok from the other Ashok .

It would be great to have a copy of the compiled CD.
I am making one of my own which I can offer when it is done.
This promises to be really interesting as we can have the same music to test and so have some meaningful comparison of systems without being there !

How will you get it across to Chennai ? Or do I pick it up from Bangalore ? I can send you my address off line.
Thanks.
Cheers.

Hi George,
Venky was my classmate in college. Yes we had a great time.
No matter how much we try we cannot replicate the fun we had those days. We had tons of great music. Those were the days ..!

Will meet you when I come to Bangalore next. Will keep you informed.
Cheers,
Ashok.

Re: The CD.

ashok said:
Hi Ashok from the other Ashok .
How will you get it across to Chennai ? Or do I pick it up from Bangalore ? I can send you my address off line.
Thanks.
Cheers.

Oh dear ! So fast? You lurk in this forum round the clock or what !! I thought the gentry in Chennai hits the bed by 7:30Pm.

Just email me your contact detail. I will courier it by next Monday. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.