hcca 250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I got a whole mess now:hot: I had flames shoot out at me today. So now my question is what all do I need to replace when I blow the power supply. I'm going to use the transistors suggested IRF 3205's. Now what else goes out when this happens? ( besides the outputs)
Now do all the transistors have to be matched? And if I replace one side do I need to replace the other? The other half seems to be ok.

In the power supply, you should replace...

all of the power supply FETs

2 MPSA56 drivers

2 MPSA06 drivers (probably survived but replace them anyway)

Check the following...

10 ohm resistors between the collector of the MPSA56 drivers and ground

all of the gate resistors (after the blown FETs are out of the circuit)

12v zeners connected between the gate driver's emitters and ground

The power supply transistors must be matched in each bank of transistors. In my opinion, it's best for all of them to match but it's mandatory that all in each bank match. If you order FETs, order extras in case you don't get matched components. If you order by phone, tell the salesman that you need matching date codes.

In each channel, the 2N6488s have to match and the 2N6491s have to match. You don't have to replace the transistors in the other channel but they're inexpensive and really easy to change so you should. The amp is relatively old and the outputs could begin to fail due to age. If they fail, they may cause the supply to fail again.

Silver diodes grouped with the gate resistors (see attached).

Probably not. They rarely fail.

Attachments

• img_2753x.jpg
    img_2753x.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 209
The same ones if you can find them. If you can't find the exact replacements, Radio Shack has 4700uF axial lead caps that should fit. I don't usually recommend RS for parts but the 4700uF caps I purchased there were all within tolerance.

For the FETs, I'd recommend International Rectifier. For the outputs, I'd recommend On-Semi.

... dont forget the 2.2uf 25volt tantulums

btw the 'PBF' after the IRF3205 simply means 'lead free'...so dont freak if they dont have the same suffix. ;)

the european market doesnt allow lead anymore.

you might want to inspect the insulating tape since you had a blowout and possibly order some...even a extremely small sliver of metal chard between the fets and heatsink can cause it too short... i learned the hard way :mad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.