Having the last word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
SkinnyBoy said:
Anyway, I was just looking up some Sony Explode car amp specifications and prices.. well... a 222watt 2 channel amp costs ~$250!!!! but, That 222watts, is MAX!! lol.... Per channel, it boasts a MASSIVE 35watts RMS into 4 ohms... OR 40watts into 2 OHMS!!!!! So, thats a WHOPPNG bridged 80watts RMS, into a 4 ohm speaker... hmm.. lol FOR $250!!!! WHAT A RIP OFF!!! lol

There appears to be some mistake, or at least a new wrinkle to the question.

The Sony Xplod car amp that Crutchfield in America sells for $149.00 American, ($252 AUS), is 80 watts X 2 channels RMS, or 200 watts RMS into 1 channel.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-JjODyNIWokI/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=110&I=158XM280++

The Sony name still counts for something, (at one time it was so highly rated that people in America actually used to say, "I bought a Trinitron" instead of "I bought a TV set"), so you have to add that factor into the price/value equation. The amp is one of the more inexpensive amps out there regardless.

I do believe that Skinny Boy still could build a comparable amp for less money if he bought the parts through inexpensive mail order houses. Still, considering the Sony name and the decent power output, I would not rate the amp a ripoff-I would consider buying one.

Re: 50-120 Hertz, 24 decibel octave, variable filters

halojoy said:

Helix,
as you have no commented or thanked me
about this way to make an adjustable filter,
I can only think that you are the LAZY type.

They are so lazy, that they do not read more than the LAST post.
Those ones that do not know what it is all about, in the threads.
Those who mostly misunderstand what is going on.
Those who always enter a discussion in the most twisted way.
Those who you only wishes to go to a warmer place.
Those you think could go do something useful instead.

###################################################################

An advice to all of us:
Do not post until you have read, understood the subject
and read at least the 5 last posts.
That will keep a lot of unnessesary bad feelings
to a minimum at OUR FORUM.

And if a guy takes his time to try and answer to a problem
you have, please give him a hint that you appreciate it.
Or at least show that you have noticed.

I do not think everything can be perfect at so big forum,
but it could be a lot better in some aspects.
Among that this matter, I took some time to write about.

###################################################################

/halo - reads at least 5 last posts :cool: when he majestatically enters a thread :cool:

WOW :bigeyes:
Well thanks for the infomation, i have actually taken it in. I was actually on holiday for a couple of days and internet acess was difficalt (jeez turn your back for 2 days and the whole thing blows up). I was thinking that when i posted that *flame* to skinnyboys suggestion i should have thank u at the same time but forgot...... I should have time to look at that stuff tonight, if not tomorrow afternoon. I did actually post some other questions but you only answered the last :rolleyes:

halojoy said:

/halo - reads at least 5 last posts :cool: when he majestatically enters a thread :cool:

majestatically enters a thread :dead: more like dominates it.

SkinnyBoy said:
Does anyone know where I can get a CPU wattage usage to compare Celerons? I have a Celeron 433 and I wanna know what the minumum power powersupply I can use is.... Basically, I wanna put it in the car, and am not sure if my sproggy will be powerfull enough...

Stick an ammeter in series with ure +5v make sure all other power connections is good (such as +12 and -5v etc) be4 turn on.

Joined 2001
SkinnyBoy said:
The closest they have is a 150watt RMS X 2 for $500 AU.. which isn't too bad if ya ask me compared to a 35watt rms X 2 one for half that.. :)

Prices seem to be cheaper in the US than Australia, and I don't mean the difference in value between American and Australian dollar.

Crutchfield offers a Sony 165 W X 2 ch, 400 W X 1 ch for $200 US dollars. That is AUS $320. I don't know if the difference is transportation, taxes or whatever.

That probably accounts for the high price of a 35W X 2 car amp. At that rate, here it would be about $96.00. That would be AUS$160.

I agree that the 35W X 2 amp for AUS$250 seems high. The only thing I can think of is, the Manufacturer's price might be set artificially high, so the dealers can be seen to be giving big discounts. The US prices I am quoting are from a dealer-the Australian prices are direct from the Sony Australia website.

SkinnyBoy said:
yeah, well, I could get the retail price (from strathfields) but there site no-longer has anything on it... Also, I could measure the CPU current, except I don't have a powersupply.... Thats why I wanted to know before I made one.. :)

u can do it with just a bog standard PC supply running from the mains.

Everybody must have a spare PC supply kicking around sometime

Originally posted by SkinnyBoy

What, a 1 * 80watts RMS into 4ohms?? EASY!!!

LM3886 (free)
PII Heatsink and Fans (Free)
Resistors, Capacitors, etc, (~$8)
SMPS transformer core (free)
Controller IC (~$4)
------------------------

A long time ago I read that the sum total of all the materials and chemicals etc needed to make a human body amounted to about $1.50 worth or something. The cost must be all in the software, not the hardware.

Joined 2001
The Intermodulation Distortion thread might have to wait. I am not sure, but I think my scanner-for which I need to make copies of certain charts-is kaput. Not sure-it might be the software.

I'm so bored I just watched 3 hours of the Michael Jackson documentary with Martin Bashir on TV. Well, two hours of the documentary and one hour report on the controversy about the documentary.

I'm not that big a fan of Michael Jackson anyway. Just wanted to see what the controversy is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.