Has someone here REALLY been able to get rid of horn coloration ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
He has a hand held unit, afaik? No?

Anyhow Angelo, measure at <1m from each horn, not at 2m.
Imo that is too far away, that will dump in the room too strongly, and floor bounce is
still an issue at that distance...

Why do you not use one of the freeware computer based FFT softwares suggested?
You would get much more useful information.

Does that box you have now give you a "line out" where you can just get the sound from the microphone?

But actually, almost any microphone will get you decent relative results... and again, those Panasonic Electret mics that cost ~1.00USD work just great... imperfect above 10khz... but you don't need perfection yet.

_-_-bear

here the measurements of the separate channels, measured mono from 2m distance:

Just buy a EMC8000 45 euro is 65 dollar
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And a 24bit sound-card with phantom supply
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Or use the soundcard of your pc and only buy a phantom power mic preamp. 33dollar.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QTX-SOUND-CONDENSER-MICROPHONE-PHANTOM-POWER-SUPPLY-UNI-/270813635501?pt=UK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item3f0dc023ad#ht_1321wt_907

And download for free.
http://www.fesb.hr/~mateljan/arta/

So you can do professional measurements for a investment of 98 dollar.

Last edited:
I don't think the contribution of the coffee table in Angelo's setup is necessarily all that detrimental since it doesn't appear like it is in a position to provide a strong first order reflection from his speakers at the listening position. It may be diffracting as much as reflecting at the listening location in this instance as a result of its edges. Even so, I'm not sure I'd be very comfortable with such a large reflective surface in that particular location.

Last edited:
I don't think the contribution of the coffee table in Angelo's setup is necessarily all that detrimental since it doesn't appear like it is in a position to provide a strong first order reflection from his speakers at the listening position. It may be diffracting as much as reflecting at the listening location in this instance as a result of its edges. Even so, I'm not sure I'd be very comfortable with such a large reflective surface in that particular location.

I sort of discounted the whole RTA measurements because the system really doesn't have the resolution to discriminate in enough detail and...

I would also question the measurement because of floor bounce and other early return reflections, which there is no evidence that was considered in the measurement process.

To get meaningful data requires a more dedicated test setup such as HolmImpulse, mic, and a sound card. Then, there is utilizing proper measurement procedures and techniques. Without that the collected data can be very misleading.

i bought this audio analyser :

PC USB Real Time Audio Analyzer

hope that will help to make more accurate measurements.

Did you just purchase this?

If so, I would consider canceling the order.

Instead, I would buy:

1. Behringer ECM8000 mic $65
2. M-Audio Mobile Pre USB $160

Download HolmImpulse for free. It is much better suited to measuring speaker response.

You can also download the free version of Praxis by Liberty Instruments, which will do all the same RTA measurements as what you bought and it will also do Theile/Small measurements of drivers, if memory serves.

The real time analyzer is good for understanding the room, but not much good for analyzing your speakers. HolmImpulse is exactly what you need and it is free. It also does phase measurements and gating.

Did you just purchase this?

If so, I would consider canceling the order.

Instead, I would buy:

1. Behringer ECM8000 mic $65
2. M-Audio Mobile Pre USB $160

Download HolmImpulse for free. It is much better suited to measuring speaker response.

You can also download the free version of Praxis by Liberty Instruments, which will do all the same RTA measurements as what you bought and it will also do Theile/Small measurements of drivers, if memory serves.

Yes, i bought it. I bought some time ago a mic similar to the Behringer, Paudio usb, and pre-mic, but there were things to solder aditionally, and components to buy, which i were not able to find locally. So i gave up. The virtins seems a ready to go solution, that is more important to me, than additional Thiele/small measurement possibility etc.....

Yes, i bought it. I bought some time ago a mic similar to the Behringer, Paudio usb, and pre-mic, but there were things to solder aditionally, and components to buy, which i were not able to find locally. So i gave up. The virtins seems a ready to go solution, that is more important to me, than additional Thiele/small measurement possibility etc.....

I was not clear. A RTA system will not analyze your speakers, only the room.

To resolve the issues with the speakers and their crossover requires different tools and a different approach.

The tool you have will not do that. At least, not to any degree of precision.

However, you can download HolmImpulse and see if it recognizes the USB adapter and mic that came with the RTA system. If it does then you are good to go.

What is the vertical scale?

Can you do screenshots instead of photos ? (press the "print screen" key on the top right side of your keayboard, and then paste into paint brush and save)
How to Take a Screenshot in Microsoft Windows - wikiHow

Tried it out - got it, thanks for the advice. Next display,i will take a screenshot, and show it.

Ideally you'd use some FFT software for that

that ?

ScopeDSP: FFT Spectral Analysis Software for Windows | Iowegian International

isn't that rather complex to understand ? I am starting from 0, so the easyer to understand, the better.

The real time analyzer is good for understanding the room, but not much good for analyzing your speakers. HolmImpulse is exactly what you need and it is free. It also does phase measurements and gating.

ok. i wrote virtins. lets see if HolmImpulse can be used with the RTA i bought. i did not make a indepth research, but virtins seems a ready to go solution. A few years back i tried to follow advice of this website :

Measuring Frequency Response Using ARTA

actually bought mic, usbtransit soundcard , pre mic, but had to build a simplified jig to do impedance and T/S measurements. Since i did not find a 10ohm resistor and other componentes locally, i got dismotivated, and put the idea on side.

The table is a non issue for me. It does not change anything to the fact, that the S2 sounds colored. But measurements yesterday and today gave me already some clarification. I will give a try, and cross S2 and the Fane differently, and see what happens.....

Tried it out - got it, thanks for the advice. Next display,i will take a screenshot, and show it.

that ?

ScopeDSP: FFT Spectral Analysis Software for Windows | Iowegian International

isn't that rather complex to understand ? I am starting from 0, so the easyer to understand, the better.

ok. i wrote virtins. lets see if HolmImpulse can be used with the RTA i bought. i did not make a indepth research, but virtins seems a ready to go solution. A few years back i tried to follow advice of this website :

Measuring Frequency Response Using ARTA

actually bought mic, usbtransit soundcard , pre mic, but had to build a simplified jig to do impedance and T/S measurements. Since i did not find a 10ohm resistor and other componentes locally, i got dismotivated, and put the idea on side.

The table is a non issue for me. It does not change anything to the fact, that the S2 sounds colored. But measurements yesterday and today gave me already some clarification. I will give a try, and cross S2 and the Fane differently, and see what happens.....

You don't have to build the jig, just use HolmImpulse with the USB Transit, the preamp, and the mic and you are good to go.

That will let you get the frequency and phase information, which is important to see what you have now.

The jig can be made with Radio Shack test leads and a resistor. You know, the ones with alligator clips. Just make sure you get a good contact. You can solder the wires for better performance, but you don't need to make a whole box for the jig.

Last edited:
Don't quite follow what you're trying to say here ?
The problem with measuring gated right back at the listening position is the delay to first reflection is quite short, limiting the lowest frequency you can measure to a relatively high 2Khz or so. (Depending on room geometry etc)

To measure lower in frequency gated you need to get a bit closer to the speakers to increase the reflection free time, but not so close that you're into the near-field of the speaker. (Depends on the size and design of the speaker, the bigger the speaker the more problematic)

It's still better than trying to measure the upper mid/treble using a distant steady-state measurement though, which is just completely wrong in results. Different parts of the frequency spectrum need different measurement techniques when trying to do so in the constraints of a typical listening room.

+10

i bought this audio analyser :

PC USB Real Time Audio Analyzer

hope that will help to make more accurate measurements.

If you want to be serious about this ...

LinearX Systems Inc - Welcome

+10

If you want to be serious about this ...

LinearX Systems Inc - Welcome

The LX500 is going to run you about $2,500.

You can get comparable functionality from ARTA for under $100 plus the cost of USB audio interface and a good mic.

If you go all out and get a calibrated mic for $100 and a good USB or Firewire audio interface for $200, you max out at $400 for everything.

For the DIYer I don't know if you would ever notice the difference.

I should add that you could substitute SoundEasy for ARTA for an additional cost of $150 and get a nice box design and crossover design software for a complete package. Total outlay would be $650.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Use ARTA, HolmImpuse and a mic with USB soundcard. It's a much, much better way to go than an RTA system. Ditto the remark to see if you mic will work with other software.
HOLM is free, ARTA can be used in demo mode if you don't want to save.

Use ARTA, HolmImpuse and a mic with USB soundcard. It's a much, much better way to go than an RTA system. Ditto the remark to see if you mic will work with other software.
HOLM is free, ARTA can be used in demo mode if you don't want to save.
I think ARTA is fantastic, and as far as measurements go it will do almost anything you can image, including room measurements (RT60, ETC and so on) as well as speaker measurements.

Probably the best bang for the buck non-free measurement-only software out there, and with a full featured (minus save) unlimited time demo. The learning curve could be a bit steep for those first starting out with impulse based measurement though, and it doesn't combine any design features such as integrated crossover optimizers or baffle diffraction simulators etc.

Holm Impulse looks quite decent, and is a bargain for something free, in many ways its a cut down much simpler version of ARTA (with a lot less features) and although it looks simpler on the surface, I've actually found it a bit confusing to use. There are certain manipulations I do all the time in ARTA that I find quite cumbersome in Holm Impulse but that could be because I learnt ARTA first. Still a good starting point for those new to impulse measurements though, when it's free.

Does anyone have any links to a good primer guide on impulse based gated measurement techniques ? I think its easy for those of us that have beaten this path before to be critical of measurements made the "wrong" way, but it really isn't obvious to anyone first starting out measuring speakers why a steady state (RTA 1/3 octave bands etc) measurement made in a room is wrong, nor is it easy to grasp at first how a gated measurement works, what it is capable of doing, and what its limitations and trade-offs are.

It's just as easy to screw up gated measurements if you don't understand the concept of a reflection free time window, and the time/bandwidth limitations of a given gate time. (Lowest possible measurement frequency, and the loss of resolution in the 1-2 octaves above that) A link to some sort of primer on the hows and whys of gated impulse measurements would be very helpful I think, more than just saying "do it this way". The manual in ARTA is a bit too technical, but perhaps the Holm Impulse manual has a good intro ? (I haven't read it)

Last edited:
Folks,

the multiinstrument software included in the virtins package seems to be quite capable and the data can be exported, so what is missing (for example waterfall plots ) could be done by additional software.

It has some advantages to purchase a complete package provided by one supplier as it should work from the beginning, and to have some support if something does not work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.