Has any one built this 1KW amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Large Audio Companies Always Try To Use Less Components To Get More Profits On Their Products, This Means That They're Reducing Safety Margins On Components, Specially Output Stages, Tiny Heatsinks, Barely Enough Capacitance/Capacitor Quality, Even Tough They Claim Thousands Of Watts Per Channel With Ridiculous Underrated Values On Components And Barely Power Devices Quantity....Better DIY

Large Audio Companies Always Try To Use Less Components To Get More Profits On Their Products, This Means That They're Reducing Safety Margins On Components, Specially Output Stages, Tiny Heatsinks, Barely Enough Capacitance/Capacitor Quality, Even Tough They Claim Thousands Of Watts Per Channel With Ridiculous Underrated Values On Components And Barely Power Devices Quantity....Better DIY

would you know if these so called professional power amps fall under the FTC trade regulations act? what testing method is used if any?

Thanks Mr. Kimberlator , Mr, Sakis and Mr. Tony,
photos of amp I posted are of experimental stage.While wiring real amps I will try to use as thick wire as I could as per your suggestions.Regarding Rod Elliot design all I could get is this unclear picture.can I get clear p.c.b design.
regards

Attachments

• 1500 watts pcb both side.JPG
    1500 watts pcb both side.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 472
Hi Vedmitraa

Thanks Mr. Kimberlator , Mr, Sakis and Mr. Tony,
photos of amp I posted are of experimental stage.While wiring real amps I will try to use as thick wire as I could as per your suggestions.Regarding Rod Elliot design all I could get is this unclear picture.can I get clear p.c.b design.
regards
Hello,

What Transistors You Will Use On Rod's Amp?

Best Regards...

would you know if these so called professional power amps fall under the FTC trade regulations act? what testing method is used if any?

Amps like Pyle don't have FTC ratings. Or even EIA. But nowadays the FTC rating only requires a burn in at 1/8 power with pink noise, and a 1KHz sine wave test (just long enough to make the measurement). Most modern amps will pop breakers, thermal, or both if subjected to the older 1/3 power burn in - and 20-20k at full "rated" power is just a dream.

Amps like Pyle don't have FTC ratings. Or even EIA. But nowadays the FTC rating only requires a burn in at 1/8 power with pink noise, and a 1KHz sine wave test (just long enough to make the measurement). Most modern amps will pop breakers, thermal, or both if subjected to the older 1/3 power burn in - and 20-20k at full "rated" power is just a dream.

i had my doubts, i suspected this much, thanks for confirming....amps with such high power rating will have to employ humongous psu and heatsinks to pass the FTC testing.....

Certainly There's Very Very Few Namebranded Amps That Do What They Claim, I Don't Know, Lets Say POWERSOFT? CAMCO? LabGruppen? But Even For Those Badass Amps There's No Substantial Rules & Regulations About Power Ratings In Their Wide Range Of Technical Tests, So They Can Easily Claim Overrated Parameters On Their Products, And Hell Lets Speak The Truth Between Us, How Many People You Know That Have Any Knowledge About Amp Specs? They Need Just A Thing To Put Sound On Their Speaker System And That's It !!! Very Few People Cares Even About Speaker Impedance.
Just My Point Of View.....
Cheers To Anyone.....

Last edited:
?

as long as we are aware that most power claims are just that, claims, then i guess we are on the ground....the dreamin' goes on.....:D

it is either FTC or it is not.....
Yes, We Are Aware So All People Are, But Not Everyone Know For Sure If "PYLE" Amplifier Will Deliver 1000Watts Per Channel @4R As The Amp States In Its Front Plate, Right?
"PYLE" Amplifier Will Deliver 1000Watts Per Channel @4R..Hummmmm......FTC Or EIA? Or Both? And Believe It Or Not This Same Issue Applies In A Very Wide Variety Of "NAMEBRANDED" P.A. Amps, Because As The Article Reads "There's No Such Regulations For Professional Audio Equipment" Nice Dont You Think????

Last edited:
I'm in...!!!

I have two large transformers from QSC amplifiers USA1310 and MX1500

I desire to build a large 500watt 8 ohm amp capable of 4 ohm sub work.

I like Workhorse design seems very roubust... lets continue this was getting intresting.

A posting of Rods revised circuit would be great too.

My transformers hit 95 volts after regulation, would love a great circuit for them.

Pat

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    881.5 KB · Views: 443
  • npnamp.jpg
    npnamp.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 417
@ Sir Vedmitraa
Maybe you have done a mistake, as in the pic you have connected 0.22R resistor to the base of the transistor which goes to the output, and 4.7R resistor to the emitter of the transistor on both sides, Kindly check before powering up.

Regards,
Aniket:)

Attachments

• Copy of 100_1711.JPG
    Copy of 100_1711.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 386
Thanks Aniket for pointing out the fault.that photo is quite old yeah there was this mistake but I rectified that mistake next day.Here is the photo of working amp with 1 ohm load and digital meter connected at output with test tone of 1khz.Meter is showing output voltage.

Attachments

• Copy of 100_1716.JPG
    Copy of 100_1716.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 346
I have used my cheap DMM @ upto and including 50kHz.

I use the comparison method when ever I need good accuracy and/or repeatability.

If I set up an input attenuator that exactly cancels the gain of the amplifier under test, then I can compare the input voltage before the attenuator with the output voltage after the amplifier.
I am comparing DMM Vac readings that are the SAME voltage and the SAME frequency.

If the DMM tells me the voltages are the same, then I believe it. Even when I know that the DMM is decades outside it specified operating frequency range. eg, the input could be set to read 2Vac at 200Hz and at 900Hz, but might read 1.4Vac at 10kHz and 525mVac at 50kHz.

Last edited:
works I have been doinng

Thanks to all seniors in diyaudio because of them i could do this work ,some of my works photos,please see my page at facebook for more photos.
Vedmitra Sharma

Attachments

• Copy of 100_1757.JPG
    Copy of 100_1757.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Copy of 100_1759.JPG
    Copy of 100_1759.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Copy of 100_1789.JPG
    Copy of 100_1789.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 198
  • Copy of 100_1761.JPG
    Copy of 100_1761.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 245
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.