Hardwiring your whole system....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Every material used in the system and signal path imparts a signature, get used to it.

Interesting. I suspect that is true, even a piece of wire has SOME inductance/resistance/capacitance/squaredance. But everything needs a context. I am struck by the various discussions we have. Guy changes speakers - night and day difference. Guy changes from 6L6 to EL34 - night and day difference. Guy changes from 12ga speaker wire to 10ga - night and day difference. Guy changes from Kester solder to Ersin - night and day difference. Guy changes the order he installs the cover screws - night and day difference.

I'd believe that the small inductance of a wire might have an impact, but if we are talking about a tenth of a decibel in a 80db circuit, not so much.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just want to be clear, I think connectors are a big problem - if they are not clean and tight. And that is often the case. If hardwire were not so inconvenient it would be the way to go. Not because it sounds better than good connections, but because it sounds so much better than bad ones.

I use this

Attachments

• isopropyl-alcohol-400ml.jpg
    isopropyl-alcohol-400ml.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 81
Interesting. I suspect that is true, even a piece of wire has SOME inductance/resistance/capacitance/squaredance. But everything needs a context. I am struck by the various discussions we have. Guy changes speakers - night and day difference. Guy changes from 6L6 to EL34 - night and day difference. Guy changes from 12ga speaker wire to 10ga - night and day difference. Guy changes from Kester solder to Ersin - night and day difference. Guy changes the order he installs the cover screws - night and day difference.

I'd believe that the small inductance of a wire might have an impact, but if we are talking about a tenth of a decibel in a 80db circuit, not so much.

guy has a relaxing soak in hot bath with epsom salt / lavender oil, and "preloads" with his favorite adult beverage before settling into his Lazy-boy or vintage late 50's Eames lounge chair mid - night and day difference -

don't forget to torque those cover screws to slightly different settings to randomize the panels' resonances (just pulled that out of my a$$ - but then again, it could be a "real thing"

the list could go on and on. :D

....has anyone taken the time to do it? All their components together & off to crossovers/drivers to get all the excess metal out of the signal path, decent wire purity & maybe an eye on the dielectric of the wire also?:magnify::magnify:
I'm in the proces of building a streamer, clock, dac, preamp and mono blocks.
All using the same type/brand of components.
From capaticors to resistors and internal- to (external) speaker-wire.
Signal wire internal same as the one used to connect it all. (Only pre to amp. Rest i want to hardwire)
I'm also shielding everything. Even the wires. All pcb's have their own shielded compartment. And the compartments with a transformer in it are double shielded.

Lay-out is a bit like the old Sansui's, keeping all as short as possible. So for example: if that means rca/xlr must be placed on the side, it has to. I'm placing them on the bottom of my amps. (Instand kidproof too haha)
The wire coming from the pre to the amps will be hardwired. So only one connection.
But the rest will be hardwired. Maybe i will build the amps into the speakers... maybe.

I call it project overkill.

Speakers will also use the same wire and crossovers get the same type/brand capacitors as the coupling caps in the amps and preamp. I got some volti horns and very nice drivers. Not decided what to build. La scala or cornscala. Or something like that.

Very big project since i started all at the same time. Learning along the way that it's better to do it step by step.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.